Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 491137 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2013, 05:15:43 pm »

Ninja'd 2x

It's simple. Starting with the massive english vocabulary file, we can generate our languages with DFLang by providing several example words of what our language will sound like. For every new major race that gets added, we add a name for them to each of our languages and repost them. We don't necessarily need a word for every species.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2013, 05:29:40 pm »

I'm so glad Vegipygmies communicate with nothing more than clicks.. I'll just have them ninja the halfling language.  XD

*Edit*: Also, got one of the caste types to shoot webbing! >:D Helloo Vegipygmy Silk Webbing, which can then be collected and woven!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:54:38 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2013, 08:30:28 pm »

Well first off, I mostly support Halfling on the language thing.

Secondly, I REALLY doubt I'll have everything (or possibly anything) done by the time my turn is up.
I'll keep working on it regardless, just realize you might have to skip me. I didn't even attempt anything today because I was so mad from everything being bugged to the frozen hell and back, will try and fix some shit tomorrow hopefully.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2013, 08:49:55 pm »

Personally, I think ice hell is pretty awesome  :D

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2013, 09:14:22 pm »

I think I'm going to make Shadows, put them in Hell, and call it Tartarus.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2013, 09:31:47 pm »

Can't yet put creatures in Hell :(

reemer30

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:swag]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2013, 10:16:37 pm »

I would like a turn, for modding, I have some mod ideas bouncing around and I might get more idea working on this.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2013, 10:27:45 pm »

AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE and UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5

And AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE may not even be necessary given that there are currently no random demons.
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2013, 11:29:53 pm »

AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE and UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5

And AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE may not even be necessary given that there are currently no random demons.

Have you tested this? Because everyone I've asked told me it doesn't work, and I've never had it work.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2013, 11:49:47 pm »

I've never actually heard anybody say it doesn't work, actually. I will have to do some science on that, though.

Anyway... It's a couple days off of the first of Autumn, and it's time once again to report in on our lovely little halflings! The halfling dwelling of Mistyrocks is coming along nicely... I've added a giant 21x21 stockpile to the main underground floor for me to hold all my crap, of which there is quite a bit. Mostly chopped wood and gathered plants, but still. I've set up several workshops, including a few looms to start on the first crop of flaxes. The first caravan came, though I didn't have anything I could afford to trade to them, and they didn't have anything I desperately needed RIGHT NOW.

I also got the first migrant wave. Batch of 6 adults and a child. Of course, they had the decency to spawn on the far upper right corner of the map, across the river, and I was wondering about a week later why they hadn't gotten inside yet.

I'm gonna give you a moment to let that sink in.

Yeah. So I had a bridge built across the river, and I'll probably have it linked to a lever at some point, since I have stone now! I started digging straight down, and hit the caverns. I have to say, the single color of moss is nice, and I love the shade itself. The fact that it's actually called "luminescent moss" is just gravy to me. I also found huge deposits of Taenite, and so once I get off my ass and get a proper militia to help me secure the caverns (hey, there might be awful horrid beasts down there, I don't know since I haven't really looked at the raws real close), I'm going to be strip mining THAT. I was, upon breach, also informed about a Downward Passage and a Deep Pit... things I've heard about, but not actually seen. Looks like our site has a direct link between the first and second cavern layers, which is cool. I'll have to send the child a geonaut down there to go look at what we have. The Deep Pit is also pretty cool.... I don't have all of it explored yet, so I'll have to do that, but it looks like a good place to seal off and conduct ritual executions of ducks every few months. Praise Armok, after all!

EDIT: HOLY FUCK. So we got notified that the hounds had given birth. No less than TWENTY ONE hound babies. Should I butcher them for food/bones or stuff them in a cage and puppybomb the inevitable megabeast? Because I know that Storm Dragons are already in the game... their meat shows up in the food stockpile options. I also came across my first vermin recently... it's going to bug me that we don't have vermin hunters.

EDIT the second: You can't Render Fat into tallow. I knew you wouldn't be able to make soap out of it since there's no soap maker workshop, but tallow doesn't rot while fat can. This means I'll have to have my fat cooked up asap. Ugh. They also drop generic "tissue" instead of the old nervous tissue... not sure what's up with that. Also unsure if Keratin can be used to make crafts, I'll check real quick here. Concerned about the fat, because I've got TWENTY ONE FUCKING DOGS to slaughter.

EDIT the third: hahaha cartilage rots, I've got about 11/14 units of rotten hound baby cartilage sitting in my dump zone. I approve and deem this a Feature, whether or not it was intended as such. I now have enough prepared meals to feed a small army and will never have to farm again.

TIME TO DRAFT AN ARMY TO FEED!

Scratch that, reverse it. :( I just remembered that the river freezes. Because the river froze. Time for an emergency underground cistern to be constructed. Consequences be damned.

MISSION FAILED

CISTERN NOT CONSTRUCTED IN TIME

YOUR FORTRESS HAS CRUMBLED TO ITS END.

So that happened. I remember when I started out, I decided "As soon as I have myself settled, that's the first thing I'm gonna do, wintertime water source, because I'm dead if I don't." Then I got distracted along the way, forgot that the river freezes in winter, and... well... the river froze and everyone died. :( I'm confident I could've survived the two years if I'd planned better, but... well, I didn't. Kinda glad I decided not to embark in the tundra like I was briefly tempted to. That would not have gone well.

Anyway, I have a few ideas on what I wanna mod in, so I'm gonna turn my sights to that. If nobody else signs up to play a turn, I guess I"ll play the next turn after the next modding round is done and at least partially bugtested.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:31:52 am by laularukyrumo »

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2013, 01:36:51 am »

If nobody is on, I'll take a turn starting Saturday :) I wanna see how bad the new guys torture our new stars
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2013, 02:24:59 am »

My Vegipygmies will be edible as plants.  I'm planning on making everything about them edible raw.  So far I think I've gotten their skin edible and cookable.. but I've only got the basics up.  Working on the castes now!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2013, 02:25:14 am »

Looking at the raws, we don't have any cavern beasts... yet.

I'm having some trouble with the Raptorians, due to unfamiliar bodyplans, so I'll start with the simpler: the Watchers. I'll just make a new bodyplan and materials for them from scratch, as I once did with the Daleks.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2013, 02:34:02 am »

I'll be making a few cavern beasts for my Vegipygmies.  One of their main domestic animals will in fact be a small, bearded, humanoid known simply as a Pygmydwarf.

They can be milked, and their beards sheared for wool. 

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2013, 03:22:20 am »

I've never actually heard anybody say it doesn't work, actually. I will have to do some science on that, though.

Anyway... It's a couple days off of the first of Autumn, and it's time once again to report in on our lovely little halflings! The halfling dwelling of Mistyrocks is coming along nicely... I've added a giant 21x21 stockpile to the main underground floor for me to hold all my crap, of which there is quite a bit. Mostly chopped wood and gathered plants, but still. I've set up several workshops, including a few looms to start on the first crop of flaxes. The first caravan came, though I didn't have anything I could afford to trade to them, and they didn't have anything I desperately needed RIGHT NOW.

I also got the first migrant wave. Batch of 6 adults and a child. Of course, they had the decency to spawn on the far upper right corner of the map, across the river, and I was wondering about a week later why they hadn't gotten inside yet.

I'm gonna give you a moment to let that sink in.

Yeah. So I had a bridge built across the river, and I'll probably have it linked to a lever at some point, since I have stone now! I started digging straight down, and hit the caverns. I have to say, the single color of moss is nice, and I love the shade itself. The fact that it's actually called "luminescent moss" is just gravy to me. I also found huge deposits of Taenite, and so once I get off my ass and get a proper militia to help me secure the caverns (hey, there might be awful horrid beasts down there, I don't know since I haven't really looked at the raws real close), I'm going to be strip mining THAT. I was, upon breach, also informed about a Downward Passage and a Deep Pit... things I've heard about, but not actually seen. Looks like our site has a direct link between the first and second cavern layers, which is cool. I'll have to send the child a geonaut down there to go look at what we have. The Deep Pit is also pretty cool.... I don't have all of it explored yet, so I'll have to do that, but it looks like a good place to seal off and conduct ritual executions of ducks every few months. Praise Armok, after all!

EDIT: HOLY FUCK. So we got notified that the hounds had given birth. No less than TWENTY ONE hound babies. Should I butcher them for food/bones or stuff them in a cage and puppybomb the inevitable megabeast? Because I know that Storm Dragons are already in the game... their meat shows up in the food stockpile options. I also came across my first vermin recently... it's going to bug me that we don't have vermin hunters.

EDIT the second: You can't Render Fat into tallow. I knew you wouldn't be able to make soap out of it since there's no soap maker workshop, but tallow doesn't rot while fat can. This means I'll have to have my fat cooked up asap. Ugh. They also drop generic "tissue" instead of the old nervous tissue... not sure what's up with that. Also unsure if Keratin can be used to make crafts, I'll check real quick here. Concerned about the fat, because I've got TWENTY ONE FUCKING DOGS to slaughter.

EDIT the third: hahaha cartilage rots, I've got about 11/14 units of rotten hound baby cartilage sitting in my dump zone. I approve and deem this a Feature, whether or not it was intended as such. I now have enough prepared meals to feed a small army and will never have to farm again.

TIME TO DRAFT AN ARMY TO FEED!

Scratch that, reverse it. :( I just remembered that the river freezes. Because the river froze. Time for an emergency underground cistern to be constructed. Consequences be damned.

MISSION FAILED

CISTERN NOT CONSTRUCTED IN TIME

YOUR FORTRESS HAS CRUMBLED TO ITS END.

So that happened. I remember when I started out, I decided "As soon as I have myself settled, that's the first thing I'm gonna do, wintertime water source, because I'm dead if I don't." Then I got distracted along the way, forgot that the river freezes in winter, and... well... the river froze and everyone died. :( I'm confident I could've survived the two years if I'd planned better, but... well, I didn't. Kinda glad I decided not to embark in the tundra like I was briefly tempted to. That would not have gone well.

Anyway, I have a few ideas on what I wanna mod in, so I'm gonna turn my sights to that. If nobody else signs up to play a turn, I guess I"ll play the next turn after the next modding round is done and at least partially bugtested.

:D

Thanks for trying it out! The one thing I felt was needed was screenshots. So here's some shots of Halfling Hamlet:

What all that suggests to me should be added:

* Butchering returns marked more clearly (I called both organ and nervous tissue just "tissue" when working on it)
* Creatures with the keratin material actually have enough keratin to be obtained (yes, it can be made into items, because why not?). Birds have large amounts of it due to it being used for beaks and claws, but now dogs drop some too.

That will now affect all creatures based on my templates and don't require any fixes to the creature itself.

Cartilage being useless yet rotting is intentional. No tallow existing right now is intentional, someone must add that and the reaction to make it before we can have such. Hound littersize is 3-10 so I have no idea what's up with that. I'm going to leave it in for now. I'm also going to make hounds come in packs and like fighting to make them more dangerous.

Just implemented those fixes and reuploaded. Adding everyone to the turn list now. If you don't see your name there, holler. :)

EDIT: Also added, as suggested, a screw into items_default and halfling entity.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 261