Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485735 times)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #465 on: July 07, 2013, 11:17:37 am »

Okay, I'll just finish up the Formic translation and take one last crack at making hemolymph say something besides "n/a", which is a truly stubborn bug, the only clue I have being the cryptic errorlog entry "HEMOLYMPH_TEMPLATE_STLUnrecognized Material Template Token: MATERIAL".
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 07, 2013, 11:24:58 am »

That sounds like the same problem BFEL had, namely that something is incorrect in how you've defined the material template hemolymph refers to. Possibly in incorrect form, possibly typo. Can post the raws again if you want us to take a look.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 07, 2013, 11:30:30 am »

Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HEMOLYMPH_TEMPLATE_STL] Hemolymph - the gray stuff that fills bugs' insides. "Ichor" - ha! I defy thee, Toady. Name it right.
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:GRAY]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen hemolymph]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen hemolymph]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:BLUE]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:hemolymph]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:hemolyph]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:BLUE]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:spattering hemolymph]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:spattering hemolymph]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:3:0:0]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[SPEC_HEAT:1000]
[MELTING_POINT:10000]
[BOILING_POINT:10180]
[HEATDAM_POINT:10100]
[COLDDAM_POINT:8950] Lower colddam point because hemolymph confers some protection against freezing. Hopefully this will do something.
[LIQUID_DENSITY:NONE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:500]
[MOLAR_MASS:NONE]
[IMPACT_YIELD:10000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:10000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:10000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:10000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[TENSILE_YIELD:10000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:10000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[TORSION_YIELD:10000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:10000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[SHEAR_YIELD:6600] used high salinity ice
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:6600]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[BENDING_YIELD:10000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:10000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[MAX_EDGE:500]
[ABSORPTION:100]
[IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL]
[ROTS]
[BLOOD_MAP_DESCRIPTOR]

The template, and how I define the blood material in the creature raws:

Code: [Select]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:HEMOLYMPH:LIQUID]
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 07, 2013, 11:31:09 am »

Post b_detail_plan too, just in case. Edit - that's likely problem source.

The following raws provide the intended result - hemolymph bleeding halflings:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I'm going to say the problem could be
1. Either incorrect material reference in creature or b_detail_plan
2. Incorrect file header or similar bug outside the materials

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 07, 2013, 11:50:56 am »

Yep, it was the detail plan. Issue solved. Hooray!

I'm just cleaning up some unused templates I made. I'll upload the raw folder soon.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 07, 2013, 01:05:40 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7811

There we go! Changelog is included on the file download page. Next modder, go ahead - and playtesters, go ahead and playtest, if you will.

EDIT: Um...yeah. There seems to be some sort of glitch in the title naming for the Formic High Queen, as a legitimate member of the Queen caste held the position in my latest world and received the name I'd intended for males to make glitches obvious.

All Hail Alhalal Whitewaves, "What the Hell" of the Red Gods!

EDIT2: And the question from a few days prior has been answered: there are quivers, definitively.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:25:42 pm by StLeibowitz »

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 07, 2013, 02:27:53 pm »

Im gonna start my turn with the raws StLeibowitz just posted. Wish me luck!

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 07, 2013, 02:41:55 pm »

Good luck!

Reading those raws made me a little giddy. So much loving attention to detail, apt usage of tags and funny commentary. I'm also really curious to see how some of those creatures work in fortress mode. Definitely recommended.

Adding to first post.

I wonder if there's some clever way to make creatures worship proper gods like "the Entomologist" without manual dfhack renaming.

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 07, 2013, 02:59:44 pm »

Are ants supposed to be playable? They have super crazy names to go along with that.

Also fraps is being difficult and slow so im gonna try to just do a written update
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:18:25 pm by squiddwarf16 »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 07, 2013, 03:18:18 pm »

Yes. You pick race when selecting civilization. Also formics and spider centaurs seem to be pretty good at killing off the other races in worldgen, probably due to high reproduction. Doesn't always happen but there is a good chance of it. Guess that's realistic.

Slight problem, things made of frostheart tree heartwood immediately self-destruct because the tree's fixed temperature (-555.6 Celsius, well below absolute zero?) is lower than the colddam point specified by the plant structure material template it uses.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 07, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »

Yep, fully playable. And you haven't seen super crazy names until you've worshipped at the altar of Khabalat B'abalababababkhabalat Khabalat - Khabalat, the Misty Hidden-Secret of Secrets.

@Halfling: Huh...did not foresee that issue. I should probably boost the temperature, too. And good to know the ants are asserting themselves properly :)

EDIT: A warning for those playing Formics - the Regent is not afraid to mete out punishments by himself, it seems, and if he's of the soldier caste he can really do a number on his worker brethren. Bastard put my best miner out of commission for months...

EDIT2: Also, don't make your doors non-pet-passable. For whatever reason, even the non-Queen Formics can't use them then, it appears.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:37:37 pm by StLeibowitz »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 07, 2013, 03:41:17 pm »

Well, that's to be expected since you didn't give them [CANOPENDOORS]. Cute little formics are all confused by them now. :D

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 07, 2013, 03:43:29 pm »

Well, the mandatory post-release day 1 patch is looking like it'll have an amusing changelog.

EDIT: And in pride-salving other news, the formics just made the river god their bitch and tapped a brook to make an underground river.

EDIT2: VESPULAE SWAAARM

FINAL EDIT: Yep, all seems to be working well. First caravan came alongside the vespulae swarm, the Vox Regina showed up as expected, the traders were using pack beetles, and the guards were actually of the soldier caste. I'll fix the door issue and the frostheart quirks. Any other bugs that have jumped out?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:56:06 pm by StLeibowitz »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 07, 2013, 04:14:40 pm »

Not so far, just noting that if it were possible to use the frost wood for anything, it would also very likely destroy most things put into containers made of it and I don't think civilizations would notice... until your fort runs out of meat or traders have lost significant value. Not drinks though.

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 07, 2013, 04:44:32 pm »

Journal of Blade Guardmighty, Mayor of the halfling outpost of Dark Heroes

Year 78. Age of The Two Storm Dragons

Granite the 1st. This seems like a good place to stop... A nice meandering river... A hill for some hobbit holes...
only problem is the hill is on the other side of the river. No one here is good at anything so I sent
Elder Blackplain to chop trees while I gather some plants. We should have prepared better..

11th of Granite Dark Reaperheroic said that her dad was an architect so she knows how to build a bridge, so I sent him to build one out of apple-wood.

12th Yore piepast looks smart... Gonna make her the official book keeper.
I also heard from Elder that Aether Darlinghog is in a relationship with Guard Seatundras... Interesting.
Also the bridge is done. Blossom Glacierdeadly has been sent to dig.

13th Sent Guard to start tilling fields. We will have Pumpkins soon!

16th the holes are done! now we just need to make some doors...

20th Had Blossom dig an area for some workshops. doors are on their way!

22nd set Dark up to build beds, chairs, and doors. Aether is gonna start moving logs in near the workshop area.

27th gonna start on a trade depot. Yore can build it.
`
4th of Slate I've decided to ban the export of amulets. ALL THE AMULETS SHALL BE MINE!!

12th Blossom says he wants to try his hand at making wooden crafts. It cant hurt to let him try can it?

16th it seems we have run out of food. at least we have pumpkins growing...

25th A pack of wild hounds has arrived! I think Your chucked a rock at one of them...

10th of Felsite. I now have a fairly decent area to work in my hole now. It could be better but it will suffice for now.

14th Yore just told me that he killed one of the wild hounds... tore up its guts with a thrown rock.

20th We just about used p all of this hill with hobbit holes... there is one to the south of us that we can use to expand.

25th it started raining today. Yore now has an office for record keeping.

This is the end of the spring entry.

(OOC) I decided to try the halflings out since I thought that playing as bugs was a bug at first. also no photos. sorry.)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 261