Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485785 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #495 on: July 08, 2013, 06:55:26 am »

Adventuring in the new world is fun.

However, there's some new issues.

1. Heartwood furniture and goods slowly self-destruct in adventure mode (but not always for some unknown reason), and so your gear if that's the wood type it's made of at embark/start. If you happen to be there at the right time you can actually see the XXdoorsXX before they evaporate. Not only is this probably inconvenient in many ways in e.g. trade, it results in significant lag spikes with the game getting stuck for seconds at a time every 10 steps or so, at least for me, when moving around in towns and villages as the furniture around me is periodically destroy en masse. Overall, this was annoying enough for me to manually fix by setting the fixed temp to 9970 (9999 would be enough to make it freeze water).

2. Spider centaur bandits do not apparently have equipment, or clothes, despite being able to wield items in arena mode.

3. Tall grass waving in the wind is a really nice touch. Neat.

4. Pack beetles are insane. Never, ever piss one off or even go near one - lost two good adventurers, one of them a formic soldier, to instakills by them (lower body ripped off). This is to be expected if you look at their raws.

5. Jaded slade is crazy common. Finding stuff made of it in keeps, fortresses etc. is not unusual at all. In fact the first castle I visited was made entirely of it and contained a slade bow among other things, and people of various civilizations can come with slade equipment. This is probably because you can make most anything from it, it's present everywhere and civs don't care that you're not supposed to be able to mine it. It's not even a metal so your civ doesn't need to be able to smelt to use it, you can just magically make it into anything that's [ITEMS_HARD] or WEAPON] or ARMOR] or the rest. If this is not the intention, could make a gateway reaction for its use (process jaded slade chunk to usable form) or the [SECRET] part above.

>has anyone made any vermin hunting pets yet?

Leibowitz has one, the theraphosa. Still free to suggest more though.

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 08, 2013, 07:06:21 am »

I have been creating a creature species where whisps give birth to unique creatures thankfully most every tag is caste specific.
So basicly my idea for this would be that the popRatio whisps would be equivilant to 2 times the total of all other castes.
And thus on modder turns anyone could add to these unique creatures types.

Also my Artisans Civilization based on trading aspects that when used in a 'Aspect Assembler' can create any generic version of raw material like 'low quality metal bars' or 'brick stone' or 'generic wood' possibly jaded slade aswell for a lot of aspect.
Basicly you are rewarded for making peace with the Artisans.
Have a wonderful day

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 08, 2013, 07:09:36 am »

Oh god, Jaded Slade being the preferred source of equipment is hilarious. I can just see it now "O.O HOW DID YOU GET THAT BOW? IT MADE OF JADED SLADE, THE LEGENDARY UNDIGGABLE MATERIAL!" "Wot dis? I gots it from de commons shop jut down de road, it goes for a ha'penny a pound."

As much as I like the idea that everyone else in the world finds it completely common and uninteresting while your civ finds it frustrating and undiggable, that was certainly not the intention.
And I personally like the custom reaction idea, though I don't know how to implement it.

I'll go start work on the Sea Angels, a race of flying manta rays that hunt vermin (as well as larger prey) for their Halfling masters.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 08, 2013, 07:18:54 am »

Wait - heartwood? Not Frostheart? I never touched any temperature settings for heartwood. It appears, however, that I forgot to change the state name for frostheart wood...so it now appears as heartwood. Unintended, now fixed.

If the wood is cyan, then it's actually frostheart wood - genuine heartwood should be brown. I just fixed the fixed temperature of the stuff, so frostheart should no longer freeze itself into nonexistence.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 08, 2013, 07:25:10 am »

Yeah, it's cyan frostheart wood we're talking about here, but as noted, it was called heartwood.

To be fair, I just visited a halfling keep completely without slade items, so it's not always. Still, if nobody else wants to try their hand, I'll make a reaction needed to make jaded slade chunks you can mine usable later today (move all usability tokens from jaded_slade to jaded_slade_usable copy material, and add reaction item:none:none:inorganic:jaded_slade -> stone:none:inorganic:jaded_slade_usable at smelter).

Also I've now seen a halfling city loyalty cascade and go down in genocidal civil war and madness twice, eerily. I wonder if it has something to do with a halfling child with a formic name being present at both places.

EDIT: a closer look at legends shows that those strange kids were probably innocent and it was rather my adventurer who had (somehow?) ended up getting the blame for killing someone I had not even met. This probably happened when there was a random bloodbath near an evaporating door at the start of the adventure. If it happens again needs to be looked into, but happens in vanilla too occasionally.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 08, 2013, 08:26:21 am »

Ok well I've got the Sea Angels mostly down, but have a few hilarious yet easily fixed issues.
First I forgot their body doesn't include eyes, so fixed that quickly with EXTRAVISION, and have found their Fire Stinger interaction is awesome, probably overpowered actually (I just copied the throw rocks from halflings, but made it rapid fire. So yeah scary.)

Secondly I forgot to give them a tissue thickness, so every attack made on them "passes right through" making them invincible.
One is now fighting a treelord to a standstill in the background (I have now seen "treelord molten skin" for the first time :P)
Oh, also the Sea Angels cant swim. :P

BTW did you know a Treelord thrown into lava will drown before it melts? I do!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 08, 2013, 08:48:11 am »

In my travels, I, Appletree Guardianslull of the Cuffed Loving, have met many colorful characters. In 125, Malachite, I besought a Formic Fortress and its inhabitants.

Aasalkh... forgive me, I'm not going to repeat that - a formic worker axeman. He had a small meteoric iron hatchet and was part of the fortress guard.

"Praise death." Cheerful folk. This one was armed with a jaded slade lance.

This bowman of the guard did not carry any arrows and was looking a little weak and exhausted, despite performing his duty like a busy ant.

A closer look revealed why. Furthermore this seemed to be a common condition among the fortress soldiers. I was given no explanation. [note: this is without the fix. It's likely their arrows or equipment was destroyed and also froze them. It's possible it still does if the temperature is not something relatively modest, even if it no longer auto-destructs]

I had the honor of meeting the Formic Everqueen. She had an... interesting... past, having been a shearer since long before the beginning of time.

I then went to meet the spider-centaurs. These strange creatures scream with rage and attack you on sight, completely in the nude and without equipment. They would be easy to take down, if not for the fact that they do not have or need blood of any kind, nor bleed. I have been trying to kill one for what seems like an eternity. It is passed out there on the moss, completely helpless, and seemingly invulnerable to attack by my halfling-sized tools of violence no matter what I try. As I write this I have built a campfire under it to see if that would kill it. On the positive side, I'm starting to really get the hang of axe-fighting after all my futile attempts at chopping it to death.

Note: Finally killed one after half a day of chopping away at its skull with my new +small celestium hatchet+ I found just lying there on the floor of the formic fortress.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 08, 2013, 10:12:57 am »

More things: becoming a vampire in adventure mode works fine. The only way to do it is to either successfully pray for vampirism or to face a vampire alone in combat, as their blood is not contagious. Then they may transform you.

The more notable ones kill thousands in worldgen as they should. They are also a freaking pain to kill because given the chance, they'll just transform into bats and fly away much faster than you can run. Definitely suggested to bring a lynch mob. And "you are bleeding all over" syndrome does not seem to work well in adv. mode, only killing very slowly if at all, because of the time frame difference, but there's probably no good way to fix this while keeping it still remotely survivable in fort mode.

That's so much DF for one day, gotta stop. Just so much fun to have a new world and so many new things. :P

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 08, 2013, 10:51:25 am »

Ok, I got myself a nice booze-plant. It only grows underground in autumn and winter, to make winter survivable. If only the Halflings weren't capable of growing absolutely everything, I wanted it to be a bit hard to get a hold of. Also you can make cloth out of it.

I'm going to add a bit more to the alcohol template to simulate a hangover and then I will ask for it to be added in.
Then on get back to work on wizards.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 08, 2013, 11:01:26 am »

Make sure to add [SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:BOOZER] so we can have alcohol dependent races if need be.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 08, 2013, 11:09:49 am »

Make sure to add [SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:BOOZER] so we can have alcohol dependent races if need be.
YYEESSSS.............
Just added that to it, posting to DFFD now.

EDIT:Posted
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:17:48 am by mastahcheese »
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 08, 2013, 11:38:56 am »

I think we should take some of our inspiration from here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42059.810
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 08, 2013, 11:45:40 am »

Good lord, that's hilarious.
The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 08, 2013, 12:26:11 pm »

Jaded slade fixes! Added them to the BFEL raws pack since I'm still managing that. Can be downloaded there. New files (overwrite):

Spoiler: inorganic_bfel.txt (click to show/hide)

Description: Jaded slade is initially in unusable form, leaves chunks titled "raw jaded slade" if dug. This or any form of raw jaded slade, when obtained by any means, can then be "reconstituted" at a smelter for free using strand extraction to yield the omni-usable material that was before called simply "jaded slade". Also fixes incorrect object names and purges "CLAY" which was a copypaste of vanilla's MATERIAL_TEMPLATE_STONE with tail part of vanilla's CLAY copypasted at the end (so also declaring solid_density twice, once for both sources of copypasting).

Update & overwrite when you have the time to fix issues <3

Edit: fixed according to below

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 08, 2013, 02:15:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure the non raw form will still appear with those raws. Might have to remove [ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:VEIN:50] from the processed version, because otherwise we now have two separate chances for a type of jaded slade to spawn in the ground. I could be wrong though. Also ptw.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 261