Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485647 times)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #540 on: July 09, 2013, 12:31:40 am »

Seems a little redundant. Maybe we should rename one of those materials.

Not redundant at all, actually. The fallen stars are gemstones, and their usability for casting anvils was a glitch; the meteoric iron is a metal. The fallen stars I intended as basically magical stars embedded in celestial marble, hence the very high density; meteoric iron is merely weapons-grade metal. They serve different functions and have different names, though they are along the same theme of space-related ground materials, but I don't think that's cause enough for renaming.

@A Spoony Bard: Yay pictures! Good writing too. The Entomologist is pleased :)
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 09, 2013, 12:59:04 am »

If you look at the raws, you'll find that, compared to meteoric iron, Fallen Stars have a ridiculous density, which I found while looking for a suitably dense stone for the Geomancers. I considered making that be the stone that they fired, but that would have been just too powerful.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 09, 2013, 03:10:14 am »

It could be something to do with fallen star material specifically. I've never seen the other gems available this way. No idea what's up with that since they're basically the same thing except with different values.

- "Liquid"? Are you sure we'll need that in Peacesblack, allet?
- Silence, underling. Ants are more than half liquid. I would rather not need it and have it.

Besides, for every 5 that you take, the royal colony gives you a beautiful glass vial that looks like a halfling to hold it. That alone makes it worth it.

Water, however, comes in barrels as expected.

Also, currently honey wine shows up under both plant and creature alcohol.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 09, 2013, 11:19:22 am »

Ah, that'd be a side effect of using MC's alcohol template. Should be a quick fix, just need to duplicate his template and change the alcohol type token. No idea what's happening with the generic liquid; might be related to honeydew itself. Is it drinkable?

EDIT: And the ridiculous density for fallen stars is because I intended for them to literally be fallen stars :) Properly, they should really be black holes, but that would just be cruel to the miners.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 09, 2013, 11:50:31 am »

How are we supposed to mine? DF wont give my halflings any form of digging implement. Which means they'll die of dehydration almost instantly come winter.

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 09, 2013, 12:05:05 pm »

How are we supposed to mine? DF wont give my halflings any form of digging implement. Which means they'll die of dehydration almost instantly come winter.

DF won't by default let primarily wood-using races have digging implements*. I moved the part about that in the player's guide a bit to make it easier to spot, guess that's my bad. Make a wooden shovel at a craftsman's shop to get started. :)

Ah, that'd be a side effect of using MC's alcohol template. Should be a quick fix, just need to duplicate his template and change the alcohol type token. No idea what's happening with the generic liquid; might be related to honeydew itself. Is it drinkable?

EDIT: And the ridiculous density for fallen stars is because I intended for them to literally be fallen stars :) Properly, they should really be black holes, but that would just be cruel to the miners.

Not sure. At least it's not under drinks. The fact that's in a vial probably further makes it undrinkable in fort mode.

Some other things:

Spider centaurs still don't have any equipment at all.

Queens are pretty easy to kill if you just slash them in the abdomen, but this may be intentional. Didn't look at your bodies again to check this. Anyway, two instakills that way.

What kind of pants does a many-legged insect wear over its abdomen? :P Darling Darkflax later went on to become known as the Wave of Gobblers and killed several megabeasts and an entire town of halflings as well. Formics are on average a thousand times tougher, especially the soldiers - very hard to kill with default halfling equipment.

On second thought, the queens are not that squishy to the average creature in the arena either. I guess they may be mostly squishy if you're a demigod vampire with a scimitar attacking them unexpectedly. The soldiers knew what was coming.

(*it will create bugged, random-material versions of such if you just add the token and just embark, that's been discussed above, but not desirable)

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 09, 2013, 12:13:48 pm »

So I was playing the minimal version some, and I noticed one of my Halflings with a peculiar name.

Then I started noticing all the names of his family and his previous membership. Clearly this guy is pure evil, married to someone who knows but doesn't mind and won't tell with a kid who's blissfully ignorant and he has a dark and disturbed past. Even his parents sound like villains. He also happens to be both hunter and animal trainer for my settlement, so he has access to both a bow and the hounds.

I feel like this is a story waiting to happen, but I do not have the motivation to actually write anything. XD

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 09, 2013, 12:26:11 pm »

Some other things:

Spider centaurs still don't have any equipment at all.

Queens are pretty easy to kill if you just slash them in the abdomen, but this may be intentional. Didn't look at your bodies again to check this. Anyway, two instakills that way.

*snippety*

On second thought, the queens are not that squishy to the average creature in the arena either. I guess they may be mostly squishy if you're a demigod vampire with a scimitar attacking them unexpectedly. The soldiers knew what was coming.

(*it will create bugged, random-material versions of such if you just add the token and just embark, that's been discussed above, but not desirable)

Yeah, I'd say under those conditions anything could be considered "squishy"  :P Formic queens also use the standard insect body instead of the humanoid insect one, unlike the rest of the species, so that may have an impact on their durability.

I looked at the Spider-Centaur entity again and realized I may have given them conflicting tags; metal pref and wood weapons. Wood weapons has been removed, hopefully they'll have some decent gear now, but I will check before uploading this time :) . They also have banditry now.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 09, 2013, 12:53:06 pm »

So I was playing the minimal version some, and I noticed one of my Halflings with a peculiar name.

Then I started noticing all the names of his family and his previous membership. Clearly this guy is pure evil, married to someone who knows but doesn't mind and won't tell with a kid who's blissfully ignorant and he has a dark and disturbed past. Even his parents sound like villains. He also happens to be both hunter and animal trainer for my settlement, so he has access to both a bow and the hounds.

I feel like this is a story waiting to happen, but I do not have the motivation to actually write anything. XD

Glad you're enjoying it :D My favorite was still the village of "Murderbaggins" (the translation "simple english" features some "extra", namely bag -> baggins and treasure -> precious IIRC). I'm still... very slowly working on that new language file. There's a bit of a problem that it slows down the game speed - in fact even just the vanilla files slow down the game compared to this new smaller language - and I don't like that. Not at all, now that I'm used to the new fast speed.

I'm thinking I should write a guide to vampirism too. But there's something that I'm not sure whether it's good or bad:

It's very easy to become a vampire unintentionally. Becoming a vampire intentionally is a little harder than in vanilla, and converting your fort entirely to vampires is all but impossible due to the new system, but becoming one unintentionally is easy by comparison: you just need to find and fight a vampire alone, survive a few rounds in melee, and you'll become one as they infect you (pretty much like a werecreature but faster). If you send in a companion first you're mostly safe, but then that companion will be a vampire. You need to really beware of approaching vampires alone if you do not want to become one.

Being a vampire is very useful or a huge pain depending on your viewpoint. It does make you stronger, tougher and more agile (but not faster due to the known bug), but in this version you have to juggle both regular hunger, regular thirst and thirst for blood now - drink, eat, and feed on sleeping things all. The ability to turn into a vampire bat is a lifesaver if used correctly, letting you escape from almost anything (although it loses all of your gear), and suicide if used incorrectly, because enemies will 1-hit-kill the poor bat occasionally.

What do you think - is this how it should be, that you should beware of close combat with a vampire for fear of becoming one? Because I'm thinking if this is undesirable, I could add a companion power to vampirism powers called "pray for spiritual purity" or something, that would give you powers that allow you to make yourself and any allies you choose permanently immune to vampirism (no other benefit), as a choice to opt out of vampire stuff. But that's just clutter if it's not needed.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 09, 2013, 01:09:22 pm »

I have encountered a camp of Spider-Centaur bandits. They do not have weapons, though one is a spearman - not sure how, since they can only use maces, whips, and bows. Something strange is going on with that entity...

EDIT: And now I've just found something that's a bit eerie. In a Halfling temple, deep in the catacombs, there is a large room littered with the skeletons of 28 halflings. Directly in the center is a celestial marble coffin flanked by two memorials to its occupant - its Formic occupant. I'm not sure if this was the last stand of some kind of cult or some kind of burial ritual similar to how pharaohs were buried with their slaves.

EDIT2: The priest is the "high pants". Halflings have such odd religions...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:23:13 pm by StLeibowitz »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 09, 2013, 01:26:15 pm »

You need to get the name of that ant mummy and run it through legends mode.

Sample interaction for supernatural opt-out for players who want to never become vampires or similar:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Should be added to the end of interaction_vampire_halfling and then to c_variation_vampire_halfling:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 09, 2013, 02:07:09 pm »

Strike that, not a formic. His name was in formic, but Khokh B'keballajolhala was actually a spider-centaur  :o

According to legends mode, he was a criminal even amongst his own kind, whose ethics can be summed up as "You killed and ate my mother in public? Eh." He and his group, the Sacred Pocks, moved to the city of Calmlords in spring of 76, somehow sneaking into the castle basement and becoming notorious criminals there, too. His reign was only ended when a storm dragon attacked the city; he died in battle with it. I'd assume the halflings in his tomb were his gang members, killed in battle, but that leaves no explanation of who interred him in a celestial marble coffin.

From the lack of murders he committed, I'd say this guy was some kind of master thief. His best skill was weaving, and his most notable combat skill was that he was a competent bowman. Knowing spider-centaur tool use at this point, I doubt he ever held a bow in his life.

EDIT: Poking through legends mode via the Legends Viewer, it becomes exceedingly apparent that you do not want to be killed by a spider-centaur chief. Crucifixion and being hacked to pieces seem to be popular methods of disposing of enemies.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:11:56 pm by StLeibowitz »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 09, 2013, 02:33:28 pm »

Man, I want those bandits to happen.

Giving spider centaurs furnace operators (they were still missing in your latest) and removing wooden weapons seems to have given them metal gear, at least available at embark and to an adventurer. However, I was unable to quickly see whether NPCs have it now because going to a spider centaur keep crashed DF repeatedly without errorlog.

This may be a non-issue if spider centaurs aren't supposed to build cities ever. Those places suck anyway. Everybody around you is constantly randomly falling into states of rage.

It could also have to do with other mods I put in:
- Fixed name from CENTAUR to CENTAUR_STL
- For my own adventure mode fun, gave them robes and formic body armor to provide better synergy with halflings, namely to give halflings a source of halfling-sized body armor and clothes that aren't halfling clothes
but probably not.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 09, 2013, 03:07:03 pm »

Huh. I'm fairly certain I added in furnace operators for them on the last update - down near the bottom of their list of professions. If that works now, though, I guess that wasn't valid in the game's eyes.  :-\

EDIT: Oh, for the love of...I found another desert that's spazzing out. Interestingly enough, you seem to be able to pick up the ground cover as an adventurer, and it will stabilize; I grabbed a fallen star out of the earth and killed a hound with it. It is a desert made of the very essence of chaos.

EDIT2: New name for cave entrances: Reaver Hives. The reaver ants appear to love caves, and will swarm anyone who invades their home. Considering they can spawn in groups of up to 40, I don't suggest venturing into them without good training.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:30:20 pm by StLeibowitz »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 09, 2013, 03:45:09 pm »

Hey what do you know, you did add furnace operators. I guess I must have forgotten to turn case sensitivity off my search... So maybe I didn't fix anything with that. Wooden weapons was still there, at least, for sure, so that needs to go.

I found some rave sand too, where a river meets the ocean. Since we have all the different types of soil and stone listed in the wiki now implemented, maybe it just wants more types? Laula's making some, I hear, and it's no longer very common to find places made of *EVERYTHING*, so we could let the chaos be for now and see if that fixes it...

Nobody has given any opinion on the adventure mode opt out of magic system, but I thought it was a pretty neat idea. I guess can assume that nobody's going to veto it at least. Could you merge that into next update too if that's okay?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 261