Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485777 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #570 on: July 10, 2013, 05:22:39 am »

Hell is huge, too. Even with Frequency 100 and ubiquitous, it may take some time for a custom underworld creature to appear on the map.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 10, 2013, 05:32:52 am »

I'm honestly a bit surprised Keas don't spawn in hell regularly what with all the fuss people make about them :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 10, 2013, 09:08:15 am »

Was thinking about something. Q for all: does DF scratch run faster for you than vanilla? For me the startup, even to arena, at least is so much faster it's amazing. Logic says this should be faster all around.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 10, 2013, 10:41:49 am »

Was thinking about something. Q for all: does DF scratch run faster for you than vanilla? For me the startup, even to arena, at least is so much faster it's amazing. Logic says this should be faster all around.

It does for me.

I'm going to request my turn be moved down a slot or two, because I am not going to have any access to any form of electronics between the 18th and 26th.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 10, 2013, 10:55:08 am »

Yeah, I've noticed a speed-up, particularly when genning new worlds. That may have something to do with the rather small pool of words with which to name things.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 10, 2013, 12:06:21 pm »

My Halfling Fortress is progressing nicely. But for some reason, they all have little flashing X's on them, and there are large amounts of dried vomit all over the place. Whats up with that?

Edit: it is also called "Blackidiot" by the new RNG. One of the members is called "Halfling Flaxoaf"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:20:03 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 10, 2013, 12:32:36 pm »

My Halfling Fortress is progressing nicely. But for some reason, they all have little flashign X's on them, and there are large amounts of dried vomit all over the place. Whats up with that?

If it's the newest version, they're probably hung over from drinking alcohol all day. Try using a well as your main source of drink instead. Also report how it goes :)

Yeah, I've noticed a speed-up, particularly when genning new worlds. That may have something to do with the rather small pool of words with which to name things.

Masterwork and accelerated DF claims to work faster by having removed redundant components if I'm not mistaken, and we're doing that to the extreme, so there should be other reasons too.

Adding the vanilla vocab to scratch makes it slower, but not NEARLY as slow as vanilla. So we can pat ourselves on the back for removing some serious clutter. (When clutter is defined to be everything.) Adding the 20k word dic makes it somewhat slower, but does not kill it.

Adding the king size dictionary to vanilla is suicidal. It's like DF inhaled a peanut. For my poor virtualbox with 1GB ram it takes so long to start I'll start watching something on youtube. Maybe it's designed so it needs to read the whole language file every time it starts and creates objects or something, since it even affects arena start. :(

Anyway, this is making me re-think the language issue a bit. It's clearly going to impact performance if we add lots of words, and most people don't seem to be feeling like we need so many anymore.

The new language files without symbols, a semi-recent version, are here:
http://www.speedyshare.com/9jNt7/language-english-mega.txt
http://www.speedyshare.com/AbkPh/language-words-mega.txt
they will not work correctly without symbols, but unfortunately I lost my symbols (and my scripts) when randomly installing alpha software borked my VM and I was feeling lazy and like, well let's reset to a snapshot (click). Snapshot didn't have these. I think I should have the scripts in my e-mail though.

Edit: Also, Zanzetkuken, granted. Moving you two steps down. That puts sackhead up next. How's that sound, sacks?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 10, 2013, 12:37:37 pm »

Let's try to get it down to 7K if we can. Transcribing most of the scrabble database is a little unnecessary, we only want a bit more variety than vanilla. The mod dictionary + our race names would probably be sufficient.

The much smaller pool of total creatures/objects to select from probably helps. AFIK we barely have any vermin varieties.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 10, 2013, 12:44:11 pm »

My Halfling Fortress is progressing nicely. But for some reason, they all have little flashing X's on them, and there are large amounts of dried vomit all over the place. Whats up with that?

Edit: it is also called "Blackidiot" by the new RNG. One of the members is called "Halfling Flaxoaf"

Hm...red X's and vomiting...did you embark on a savage tropical marsh, perchance? If those X's mean fevers, you may have encountered the delightful Dengue Mosquito, and it then bit some of your hobbits and gave them breakbone fever. If you're not on a savage tropical marsh, then yeah it's probably the booze.

I'm sigging that :D

The much smaller pool of total creatures/objects to select from probably helps. AFIK we barely have any vermin varieties.

Well...there may be a few more vermin varieties than before...I forgot to comment out the "optional" plague fly swarms in the last update  :-[ . I'll be fixing that in tonight's update, along with adding in the shadows since people seemed to like that, and fixing whatever bugs other people find.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 10, 2013, 12:55:30 pm »

Ooh, thanks for explaining it was the fact they were surviving off booze.

I've got a well built now (finally) at the cost of one of my miners. He decided, as soon as he dug the channel which let the river into the cistern, to JUMP IN, and was swept away, drowning shortly after.

Does DF simulate well contamination>?

EDIT: His name was "Secret Bluepeace." I love how the Halfling language is just a caveman english.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:07:32 pm by Dorsidwarf »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 10, 2013, 01:10:23 pm »

Ooh, thanks for explaining it was the fact they were surviving off booze.

I've got a well built now (finally) at the cost of one of my miners. He decided, as soon as he dug the channel which let the river into the cistern, to JUMP IN, and was swept away, drowning shortly after.

I think I should probably add the part about hangovers from alcohol to the player's guide, especially since now you can make it. It's there now. :D
Yes, it'll give unhappy thoughts if they are forced to drink from it.

Feels weird to be sigged on such a random thing to say but it's yours, man :)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 10, 2013, 01:31:37 pm »

Uh oh. Is there any way i can get rid of his corpse? I'd hate for his idiocysacrifice to have been in vain

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 10, 2013, 02:07:46 pm »

I'm thinking I'm going to try something drastic.

Do we still have the first version of the raws up somewhere? I might just load up Super_Minimal_DF, then, after applying various bugfixes that might have been addressed in later versions, give all the creatures the capacity to spawn in Hell as well as the surface. Throw in freq 100 and ubiquitous, and I should hopefully be able to get something down there.

Although, I DID get Kea to spawn above ground before I broke into hell.... they even took some of my shit.

Regarding Ice, that would be an interesting experiment, explicitly defining hell out of a diggable material and seeing what happens. If I make an "ice", though, I'm definitely giving it fixed-temp, absurd melting points, undiggable, etc.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 10, 2013, 02:21:26 pm »

I know Masterwork DF has some creatures that spawn in Hell, but I've never actually breached the HFS in that mod to see them in action. A test would be a good thing.

The first version of the raws is in the OP.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 10, 2013, 02:36:41 pm »

Uh oh. Is there any way i can get rid of his corpse? I'd hate for his idiocysacrifice to have been in vain

Probably not. But you could just build the well on the river :D

I know Masterwork DF has some creatures that spawn in Hell, but I've never actually breached the HFS in that mod to see them in action. A test would be a good thing.

The first version of the raws is in the OP.

Yes. Masterwork's "Adamantine beetle", believed to spawn in hell:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Adamantine_beetle/raw

This copy seems a little broken with the loose [SELECT_MATERIAL at the end and all, but maybe the essential stuff for us is correct.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 261