Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485650 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #585 on: July 10, 2013, 03:41:57 pm »

Several of us modders have creatures that spawn in hell, I believe. Note that custom hell creatures are not spawning in the initial demon assault - they'll just be roaming around. And just to be on the save side, I just tested it with some speed:1 dwarves. The demons killed me before any nonvermin creatures appeared in hell, but the reclaim team was slaughtered by a trio of my giant underworld spiders that sprung from ambush.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 10, 2013, 03:52:57 pm »

I'm fully aware that custom hell creatures don't show up in Clown Car Assault mode--this is why, in my test, I set demon types to zero. And then waited ten minutes, while mashing slayrace.

I posted a topic asking in the mod forum, and all I got was a three letter reply. "LFR." So first I did some forum searching, and it took about five minutes before I found the Legend of Forlorn Realms thread. Looks like, if I want to ever play that mod, I have to give up my dreams of putting working creatures in hell. Because it seems I'm expected to download the entire mod, pick through its raws, guess which creatures spawn in hell, pick apart the entries to isolate which tags are causing this behavior, and replicate them.

Instead of, y'know, confirmation that UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5 actually works. Cause that would be too easy.

Why no, I am absolutely not mad and/or taking passive aggressive potshots at those blessed with knowledge. Not at all. Whatever gave you that absurd idea?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 10, 2013, 04:04:48 pm »

They're in their own file and I don't have the mod on-hand right now to point out exactly how the method is done, so I'm not capable of answering your question as efficiently as normal without forwarding you to a reference that I know works.

I'm not blessed with knowledge, I'm blessed with the ability to know what to search on the wiki and, if that fails, which mods to look at.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 10, 2013, 04:28:06 pm »

I put the question in the modding questions thread, and Meph (I believe) told me that putting creatures in Hell works. It probably takes time for them to wander in, though. I suggest testing in adventure mode using df_hack.

Remove all equipment, make your adventurer into a ghost, fly down to Hell, unghost, then wander around until something tries to kill you. Trying to sneak helps more, since if there's a creature within your LOS it won't let you sneak.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 10, 2013, 04:33:37 pm »

Either way, this is the creature that slaughtered my reclaim team, if you want to test with it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 10, 2013, 08:56:44 pm »

Update 4 is up. Plague flies are now deactivated by default, and the Shadows have been added into the game. I'll be offline for a few days, and I expect (hope?) that there'll be some interesting new stuff when I return :)
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 10, 2013, 11:33:27 pm »

My Halfling Fortress is progressing nicely. But for some reason, they all have little flashing X's on them, and there are large amounts of dried vomit all over the place. Whats up with that?
LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Ahem, cough cough ha.

Anyway, the reason they have flashing X's in not because of any mosquitos, at least not if it happened at the time they drank.
The reason they have fevers is because of what they drank.
Specifically, they drank some tarnished vodka from a tarnish stalk, now alcohol can be bad in this game, but drinking that stuff will literally make you sick, it causes fevers, numbness, increased nausea, and in severe cases, coughing blood. And that's in addition to the normal problems with drinking.
My tip? That stuff is terrible for your health. Don't drink it, use it for cloth instead.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 11, 2013, 12:24:13 am »

Not much happened in this update. There's only one picture, I would have taken more, but not much that happened seemed like it needed a picture to go along with it.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 11, 2013, 12:42:14 am »

Beginning second round of HFS testing, using V1.03 halfling raws.

Error log says "Unrecognized creature variation:HAS_VAMPIRES_HLG" (c_variation_halfling.txt confirms, 'vamp' not found in file)

Not sure if that does anything weird or not.... but I'm too lazy to comment vampire stuff out of this cause I'm just testing for hfs anyways.
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 11, 2013, 04:12:27 am »

Vampirism is in c_variation_vampire_halfling instead. Not having it just means there are fewer vampires and no paladins.

Not much happened in this update. There's only one picture, I would have taken more, but not much that happened seemed like it needed a picture to go along with it.

Nice! Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
To please the allet, you could dig for kamacite or taenite and make a statue of those/room in a cluster. Meteoric iron is expensive, because it's supposed to be rare (but is not yet). Although maybe it's not an option if your miners are getting mauled because of violated production orders :D
I'll put you on the turn list as the player for this turn and link to these if you manage the 2 years.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 11, 2013, 10:22:45 am »

Can we only make additions to this if we sign up for a modding turn? I only want to do some minor things, such as add a little variety to metals.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 11, 2013, 11:34:27 am »

If you want a cage to be used for justice, it absolutely must, must, must be made of metal.

If you can't get your hands on some meteoric iron ore in the caverns, you're pretty screwed, looks like. ;)

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 11, 2013, 11:56:43 am »

Caverns? I have no problem finding meteoric iron. It's everywhere.

EDIT: The Hut Of Idiots has produced it's first artifact.

Have i mentioned just how much i love the new names?

Also: One of the Halflings somehow managed to climb up onto a pillar as it was being constructed, and if I hadn't noticed in time would have died of dehydration. :?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:23:32 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 11, 2013, 12:31:18 pm »

That's a vanilla bug, though...

Say, I've noticed stupidity shows up quite a lot in halfling names. Is that intentional?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 11, 2013, 12:42:50 pm »

Can we only make additions to this if we sign up for a modding turn? I only want to do some minor things, such as add a little variety to metals.
This is in the first post. ;p
Posting your unpublished raws in this thread is awesome. It's up to the modder whose turn it is to implement it if he wants. You are obviously allowed to throw anything and everything at us. However it would be swell if
  • You posted the raws as text
  • There's a short description of what it does
  • and maybe a screenshot to show it works
I recommend using the code tags if you post any raws, but spoilers should be fine too. Here's some things I think we need more of: Sand/Soil/Clay(Pretty sure we have 0 types of clay. Of course if we can't redesign clay enough for it to be considered from scratch, so be it. I'm almost certain that's what's causing the ground to think it's everything sometimes though), Stone(possibly some magma safe types if we don't have many), tree types, surface and cavern(If i remember correctly the first cavern is completely empty of trees) and metal(weapons grade or otherwise. a cheap metal to make initial tools cost less would be great).

As for justice, I recommend rope restraints if you don't want your prisoners to starve. By the way, can our civs drink water directly from buckets/barrels? If not, prisoners might only be able to drink booze right now unless someone/thing brings them food, since I don't remember if wells can be used while chained.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 261