Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492793 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #630 on: July 12, 2013, 11:47:55 am »

Their caravans are just like vanilla elves.

I accidently offered them a wooden block and they got angry. So i stole all their valuables and sent them home. Surprisingly, another caravan has arrived.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 12, 2013, 12:56:33 pm »

When I start an embark (waiting for the wizards :P) I'm going to make eight posts in a row, one per season in my two year trial.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 12, 2013, 07:15:07 pm »

Hey guys, can I make a request? could you all add appropriate STATE_COLOR  to all the new materials you make? This will make things work much better in Stonesense, since it reads that when it doesn't have its own color definitions.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 12, 2013, 08:06:30 pm »

Hey guys, can I make a request? could you all add appropriate STATE_COLOR  to all the new materials you make? This will make things work much better in Stonesense, since it reads that when it doesn't have its own color definitions.

Seems reasonable. I'll put it into rules as a suggestion, but what exactly is required? Is [STATE_COLOR:ALL:] acceptable?

AFAIK treelords are a lot like vanilla elves, except with [UTTERANCES], different nobles, and without any equipment (not even clothing). The latter part sort of accidentally makes sense because if they did have clothing the living tree castes would also wear it. They're not bandits or such.

It's pretty confusing with the elves. Nobody has seemingly tested them much or at least they haven't shared it :P Modding forum had me thinking, although maybe I misunderstood, that [UTTERANCES] leads to war. At least someone suggested using it to that effect somewhere. Yet these guys are peaceful. Also they can get proper names by joining another civ. Also when in their own home they are tame (unless they are of a military profession? their military profession is recruit btw since they don't have any weapons), whatever that means:

Spoiler: visiting an elf hamlet (click to show/hide)

These elves could probably use some tweaking (unless the tame part and this state of affairs is intended) and an additional content pack (items, gear?), tbh.

emeralis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 12, 2013, 09:05:34 pm »

Had some free time, so I went into the arena and had a Halfling deathmatch.  Here is the errorlog.txt that was generated, though none of it refers directly to Halflings.
Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_devil_vermin_STL.txt"
Unrecognized CE_BLEEDING token: 4800
Unrecognized CE_BLEEDING token: 7200
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_insects_STL.txt"
FORMICS_STL Color Mod Ending With (MAROON,2) Was Not Used
FORMICS_STL Color Mod Ending With (RED,2) Was Not Used
*** Error(s) finalizing the creature BANDIT_MOTH_STL
BANDIT_MOTH_STL:FEMALE:right wing, layer 1: Tissue WING_SCALES was not found, using first tissue instead
BANDIT_MOTH_STL:FEMALE:left wing, layer 1: Tissue WING_SCALES was not found, using first tissue instead
BANDIT_MOTH_STL:MALE:right wing, layer 1: Tissue WING_SCALES was not found, using first tissue instead
BANDIT_MOTH_STL:MALE:left wing, layer 1: Tissue WING_SCALES was not found, using first tissue instead
Cannot generate random creatures -- missing body gloss RCP_GLOSS_PAW

Now off to see the frozen over hell.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 12, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »

I've been getting that Unrecognized CE_BLEEDING token message a LOT. I don't know wtf causes it. :(
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 12, 2013, 09:49:10 pm »

Seems reasonable. I'll put it into rules as a suggestion, but what exactly is required? Is [STATE_COLOR:ALL:] acceptable?

Yeah, [STATE_COLOR:ALL:] is perfectly fine. 
Easiest way would be just to pick a color from here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Color#Color_tokens but if you want to be really fancy, you can always add new tokens if the color you wan't isn't there. That's entirely optional, though.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 12, 2013, 10:33:10 pm »

When I start an embark (waiting for the wizards :P) I'm going to make eight posts in a row, one per season in my two year trial.
Lol, I'm working on tehm, they're very tricky. The thing is, the races that brings in the wizards doesn't actually have magic at all, they just give it to those that come in contact with them, but I'm still working on it. Nice to see some enthusiasm, though, any particular wizard types you'd like to see?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 12, 2013, 10:43:14 pm »

Spoiler: Formic Playtest 4 (click to show/hide)
Not much this update, tried to include some more pictures.
Also, is it normal for newborn hounds to be on the ground even if nothing is on top of them?
And, to whomever is going to be the featured modder in the next update, I may make a creature for it, if you want to include it.
EDIT: Creating the creature in question took little to no time, nor did bugtesting it. Introducing the growth grub, this little bugger is born the same size as a water grub, but keeps growing its entire life, it can died of old age at anywhere from 4 to 19 years old. If one somehow manages to survive to 20 years, it will stop growing, albeit, it will be four times the size of a formic queen. It can also be milked for it's secretion, though it will take a very long time to milk it again, possibly longer than the grubs lifespan. This secretion can be refined int a drinkable state that causes any formics that drink it to grow 5x their size. Or it should, at least. I've bugtest it, in arena it holds its own against water grubs, but still dies to an unarmed halfling. You can take it at embark with little to no problems (aside from its large cost), and it can be milked. The refined secretion is drinkable by formics. Unfortunately, I don't know whether the growth portion works, as it doesn't appear as if the formics had descriptors set for height, broadness, or length. It also leaves nothing in the error log. I have to thank St. Leibowitz, though, as most of the raws for it I copied from his water grub (is that okay, halfling?)
Anyway, the raws are as follows:
Creature:
[CREATURE:GROWTH_GRUB_ASB]
[NAME:growth grub:growth grubs:growth grub]
[CASTE_NAME:growth grub:growth grubs:growth grub]
[CREATURE_TILE:'g'][COLOR:2:0:0]
[DESCRIPTION:A grubworm that is considered invaluable to desert-dwellers due to the fact that it continues growing for its entire life.]
[PREFSTRING:ability to grow endlessly]
[BODY:WORMY_BODY_STL:CYCLOPS_STL:MAW_STL:BRAIN_STL]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:100]
[BODY_SIZE:20:0:400000]
[CHILD:1]
[LARGE_ROAMING][PET][ALL_ACTIVE][BENIGN][PETVALUE:1300]
[CREATURE_CLASS:ALL][CREATURE_CLASS:ARTHROPOD][CREATURE_CLASS:INVERTEBRATE]
[BIOME:ANY_DESERT][MUNDANE][NATURAL][COMMON_DOMESTIC]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:3][POPULATION_NUMBER:4000:7000]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:LIGHT_CHITIN_MATERIALS_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:LIGHT_CHITIN_TISSUES_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:INSECT_LAYERS_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:INSECT_POSITIONS_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:BITE_MAW_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:IS_INSECT_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:APPEARANCE_VARIABILITY_BODYSIZE_HLG]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:APPEARANCE_VARIABILITY_INSECT_EYES_STL]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:HEMOLYMPH:LIQUID]
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:growth grub nymph:growth grub nymphs]
[MAXAGE:4:19]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[LITTERSIZE:1:5]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:GROWTH_SERUM:INSECT_LIQUID_TEMPLATE_STL]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen growth grub secretion]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:CREATE_GRUB_BREW_ASB:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:GROWTH_SERUM]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen growth grub secretion]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:growth grub secretion]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:growth grub secretion]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling growth grub secretion]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling growth grub secretion]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:grown]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:FORMICS_STL]
[SYN_INGESTED]
[CE_BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:500:PROB:100:START:10:PEAK:20000:END:26000]
[CE_BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:500:PROB:100:START:10:PEAK:20000:END:26000]
[CE_BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:500:PROB:100:START:10:PEAK:20000:END:26000]
[MILKABLE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:GROWTH_SERUM:500000000]
Reaction:
[REACTION:CREATE_GRUB_BREW_ASB]
[NAME:Refine Growth Grub Secretion]
[BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_M]
[REAGENT:A:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:GROWTH_GRUB_ASB:GROWTH_SERUM][UNROTTEN]
[REAGENT:A_HOLDER:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][CONTAINS:A][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[REAGENT:B_HOLDER:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:GROWTH_GRUB_ASB:GROWTH_SERUM][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:B_HOLDER][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:BREWING]

Don't forget to add [PERMITTED_REACTION:CREATE_GRUB_BREW_ASB] to the formic entity if you do decide to add it in!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:33:53 am by A Spoony Bard »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 13, 2013, 02:48:06 am »

emeralis, laula,
Thanks for reporting!

>Unrecognized CE_BLEEDING token: 7200

Sounds like the arguments for CE_BLEEDING were missing or had an extra token somewhere.

>BANDIT_MOTH_STL:FEMALE:right wing, layer 1: Tissue WING_SCALES was not found, using first tissue instead

Bandit moth body materials detail plan does not apparently give them WING_SCALES despite another body detail plan asking for them later. These are all errorlogs to do with Leibowitz's raws. It's an issue that should be fixed because we can't have those building up.

Spoony,
>most of the raws for it I copied from his water grub (is that okay, halfling?)

Yeah. The point is not to make everything from scratch every time (which would be pretty nice though, but impractical in the long run) but to make a world from scratch. So the idea is that directly importing stuff from outside is not allowed, building on stuff that's already there is. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #640 on: July 13, 2013, 06:36:55 am »

@halfling: How is the language update coming along?  :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

emeralis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 13, 2013, 06:44:01 am »

@halfling: How is the language update coming along?  :)

speaking of language pack, Halfling, I think you might want to check out a potential bug in fortress naming.
It seems like there is a mismatch between plural and singular words, I've been getting the fortress name and "translation" as stuff like:
woodhome
woodshome

reaperwave
reaperswave

darlingappletree
darlingsappletrees

and so on.  Its relatively minor as bugs go though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:50:23 am by emeralis00 »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 13, 2013, 07:05:08 am »

I get that too. Its like there is no "language" for the halflings at all.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 13, 2013, 07:06:40 am »

speaking of language pack, Halfling, I think you might want to check out a potential bug in fortress naming.
It seems like there is a mismatch between plural and singular words, I've been getting the fortress name and "translation" as stuff like:
Not a bug per se - the in-game languages have no concept of plurals (or several other grammatical constructs for that matter), so the in-game English lacks plurals that the translated word has.

Had some free time, so I went into the arena and had a Halfling deathmatch.  Here is the errorlog.txt that was generated, though none of it refers directly to Halflings.
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_devil_vermin_STL.txt"
Unrecognized CE_BLEEDING token: 4800
Unrecognized CE_BLEEDING token: 7200

Same problem like earlier in the thread - the bleeding syndromes lack the target tissue, so it thinks that START is supposed to be the tissue, and then is confused what that number is supposed to be (which reminds me of an interaction/syndrome suggestion I keep wanting to post). This should be the correct syntax for the dengue mosquito:

[CE_BLEEDING:SEV:10:PROB:60:BP:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH:ALL:START:4800:PEAK:6000:END:7200]
[CE_BLEEDING:SEV:70:PROB:5:BP:BY_CATEGORY:GUT:ALL:START:7200:PEAK:7800:END:8400] Only a very few cases of dengue fever become hemorrhagic.

[/code]*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_insects_STL.txt"
FORMICS_STL Color Mod Ending With (MAROON,2) Was Not Used
FORMICS_STL Color Mod Ending With (RED,2) Was Not Used[/code]
There is a block with
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:APPEARANCE_VARIABILITY_ANT_COLOR_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:APPEARANCE_VARIABILITY_INSECT_EYES_STL]
before the castes and thus bodies and tissues are defined. Removing that block (between [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:IS_INSECT_STL] and [CANOPENDOORS]) solves these particular errors.

Edit - also, for everyone, the body size syntax is [BODY_SIZE:years:days:size]. If you want creatures to be born at their full size to avoid the size bug, use [BODY_SIZE:0:0:full size], not [BODY_SIZE:full size]. I don't know how DF will read the latter, but I doubt it works as you want it to.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:24:43 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

emeralis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 13, 2013, 08:26:06 am »

I started up a world and sent out the brave little halflings.  However, during the first couple months they kept getting nauseous and puking everywhere.  I can't find any vermin on the map, and the river appears to be clean.  The halflings also complain about dirty water and drinking puke so I am not sure what the exact cause is.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 261