Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492397 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #660 on: July 14, 2013, 10:05:24 pm »

You should probably define the tissue and its material before adding the tissue.

It's annoying how atm they're always saying the same crap as vanilla elves

This is hardcoded into DF and can't be modded easily via raws. It's just like halfling liaisons announcing they are from the mountainhomes. You can edit the strings in the binary to change it though.

Actually, (Wherever you put Dwarf Fortress)\data\dipscript has all of the trade dialogues.  Of course, you need to know how to decode the files...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 14, 2013, 10:05:43 pm »

Oh shit.

I just realized that it's technically "legitimately" my turn now. I'm gonna start hammering out as much as I can right now. Gonna download the latest pack, check to see when my deadline is and start scheduling stuff out.

EDIT: There's a file called b_detail_plan_bfel.txt and another one called b_detail_plan_bfel.txt~ and I'm fairly certain that isn't intended. I don't know exactly what WAS intended, though. Not sure who's responsible, but, somebody fucked up. I redownloaded and extracted, no change.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:13:38 pm by laularukyrumo »
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 14, 2013, 10:10:50 pm »

Found myself with a pencil and a sheet of paper and a scene running around in my head:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoilered (and apologies) for size. Now there is fanart for this endeavor :)
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #663 on: July 15, 2013, 12:58:23 am »

It's like King Turnus and the Aeneid!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 15, 2013, 05:25:05 am »

You should probably define the tissue and its material before adding the tissue.

It's annoying how atm they're always saying the same crap as vanilla elves

This is hardcoded into DF and can't be modded easily via raws. It's just like halfling liaisons announcing they are from the mountainhomes. You can edit the strings in the binary to change it though.

Actually, (Wherever you put Dwarf Fortress)\data\dipscript has all of the trade dialogues.  Of course, you need to know how to decode the files...

Correct. Upon looking more closely, appears that is indeed where part of the dialog and the fortress intro is located, and not in Dwarf_Fortress with the rest of the strings. Thanks.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 15, 2013, 07:25:59 am »

Ok quick question, I'm getting a "No tissue thickness set" error with this, so is that a problem I should fix in the creature raws or the body raws?
Heres the current creature raws:

Code: [Select]
creature_ocean_BFEL

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:SEA_ANGEL]
[DESCRIPTION:A large sea creature likened unto an angel, it fires stingers at its prey and can fly unto dry land, making them a common pet]
[NAME:sea angel:sea angels:sea angel]
[CREATURE_TILE:224][COLOR:3:0:1]
[CASTE_NAME:sea angel:sea angel:sea angel]
[BABY:1][CHILD:2][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:sea angel:sea angel:sea angel]
[LARGE_ROAMING][PET][UBIQUITOUS][HUNTS_VERMIN][RETURNS_VERMIN_KILLS_TO_OWNER]
[FLIER][DIVE_HUNTS_VERMIN][GOBBLE_VERMIN_CLASS:ALL][LARGE_PREDATOR]
[AMPHIBIOUS][BENIGN][NATURAL][CARNIVORE][EXTRAVISION]
[PETVALUE:50][COMMON_DOMESTIC][TRAINABLE]
[MAXAGE:5:10]
[BIOME:OCEAN_TEMPERATE]
[BIOME:OCEAN_TROPICAL]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30][TRIGGERABLE_GROUP:15:30]
[PREFSTRING:large numbers][PREFSTRING:stinger firing]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:FIRE_STINGER_BFEL]
[BODY:SEA_ANGEL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CORE_MATERIALS_HLG]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CORE_TISSUES_HLG]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CORE_LAYERS_HLG]
[TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TENDON:400]
[LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TENDON:400]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:APPEARANCE_VARIABILITY_BODYSIZE_HLG]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[CASTE_NAME:sea angel:sea angels:sea angel][FEMALE]
[LITTERSIZE:10:40]
[CASTE:MALE]
[CASTE_NAME:sea angel:sea angels:sea angel][MALE]
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 15, 2013, 10:31:54 am »

Fairly sure that's a body raws problem. I know for a fact it's not a creature raws issue; I believe it's caused by body parts not having anything to connect to.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 15, 2013, 11:48:18 am »

Fairly sure that's a body raws problem. I know for a fact it's not a creature raws issue; I believe it's caused by body parts not having anything to connect to.
That's body detail plan problems, not body problems. I get them frequently.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 15, 2013, 12:34:24 pm »

Added a "fanart" section to 1st post since now we apparently have it :P

@laula, I think StL ended his turn on the 7th, so by that logic if you started on the 8th, now would be about time to pass on the torch. How's it looking?

On a completely different note, spider centaurs now work perfectly after latest update. They are a very welcome addition to adventure mode as (angry) bandits and seem to have clothing too. :)

Also, Darling Petaloath the female halfling just shot a spider-centaur commander in the face with a small leadwood arrow, tearing the face's muscle and tearing the mouth's muscle and causing them to give into pain. Not in the head, in the face. Awesomeness achieved. Was later instakilled in one turn by a hound that bit her in the abdomen and shook her around by it, ripping her in twain.

However, fallen stars are still a viable material for making items. Just spotted a fallen star door.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 15, 2013, 04:53:45 pm »

My guess is that, since Fallen Star is probably defined from Halfling's stone template, it still has ITEMS_HARD. That's what makes it a valid building material, even if you don't add that tag in, and it's why there are separate templates for soil and gem in vanilla, despite using mostly the same default values. The comments for SOIL_TEMPLATE even flat-out say "copied stone but removed items_hard for now".

For that reason, if you were to somehow obtain a boulder of black dirt, you could probably build stuff out of it. I'm surprised we haven't seen that yet.

Also shit, I thought I had more time than that, I never noticed StL's raws go up. I'm hammering out finishing touches on stuff, should have it up today or tomorrow. I'd been spending almost all of my time getting Iridium and all its dependencies working, and haven't actually had time to test since my next project was working on the frozen hell. I guess I'll leave that up to someone else... we DO have shadows, after all.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 15, 2013, 05:05:25 pm »

So, this is what it looks like to achieve divinity.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 15, 2013, 05:05:48 pm »

I could write up a plant that only grows in the underworld that, when eaten, makes you breathe fire on everything before rotting your brain out.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 15, 2013, 05:11:45 pm »

I could create a plant that only grows in the underworld that, when eaten, makes you breathe fire on everything before rotting your brain out.

Yes, this is what it's like to achieve divinity.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 15, 2013, 05:17:18 pm »

Also shit, I thought I had more time than that, I never noticed StL's raws go up. I'm hammering out finishing touches on stuff, should have it up today or tomorrow. I'd been spending almost all of my time getting Iridium and all its dependencies working, and haven't actually had time to test since my next project was working on the frozen hell. I guess I'll leave that up to someone else... we DO have shadows, after all.

No worries, I don't think anyone's going to be that pedantic about it. Just want to make sure everyone gets to play equally. When you're done, upload with comment and I'll put it in the first post as usual :)

Leibowitz, I'm still getting that moth error btw.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 15, 2013, 06:28:08 pm »

God dammit. Well, at least it's not the only bugfix I have to do; I'd feel silly uploading a whole new raw folder just for a moth. I'll write up a new material template for gemstones and assign that to Fallen Stars, though I'm not sure if that's the actual main issue, considering nobody has reported doors or anvils or whatever made out of the other two gems I added  :-\ It should be noted here that vanilla uses the stone template for its gemstones, which is where I got the precedent.

No, no; what that looks like is a Vespula with no head, but this is kind of similar :)

Also, what units does DF measure density in? The wiki's claim of kg/m-3 seems kind of suspect to me, if what it means is actually kilograms per cubic centimeter.

EDIT: The moth issue was because I forgot to append "_STL" to the tissue definition in the body detail plan. Things should work perfectly now. Heh...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:40:56 pm by StLeibowitz »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 261