Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485891 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #750 on: July 18, 2013, 11:30:35 am »

PTW.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 18, 2013, 12:37:37 pm »

So I'm working on my Mysterious Travelers and magic a bit, and I genned a new world, and checked the population info of the world.
There are only 3 Travelers still alive after a 1050 history. One was a counselor who became a vampire, one had apparently hopped from town to town every 5 years or so, and was listed as a former member of probably every single civilization in the world. The last one was another counselor, who, for half the history of the world, fought the oppressive edicts of vampire counselors (Because the Travelers have 10 counselors, and each one can make new laws, the vampire counselors will keep making oppressive edicts and the good counselors will keep shutting them down) until she herself became a vampire, and then town-hopped to every civilization in the world.

Just so you can see how crazy this world was.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, until I started playing this mod, I've never encountered cases of people being buried alive or drowned by other people in world gen before.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 18, 2013, 12:58:47 pm »

Also, until I started playing this mod, I've never encountered cases of people being buried alive or drowned by other people in world gen before.

Spider Centaurs are such pleasant folk, are they not? :) And those travelers sound intriguing. Any backstory?

I'll have the first update playtesting Laula's raws up in a bit; going to try seasonal updates initially and see what happens after that.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 18, 2013, 01:08:57 pm »

Spider Centaurs are such pleasant folk, are they not? :) And those travelers sound intriguing. Any backstory?
Yes, they are.
And the backstory for the Mysterious travelers is that they don't have one.
They always make their cities on coasts, so they're supposed to have entered the world from ships that nobody knows the origin of.
The Derail Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 18, 2013, 01:56:37 pm »

Alrighty, time for a playtest update on Laula's stuff! So far, the settlement is mainly getting on its feet. Genuine digging and exploration of the underground will commence later in the summer, once the first migrant wave arrives and we can start specializing.
===================
MAYORAL LOG, CHIEF BLOSSOMWRY, HOBBITDATE 26 OPAL 125

So...the mayor's daughter. Best night of my life. Sadly, it seems that makes this morning the worst of my life.
Crusty old bastard walked in on us in...shall we say, a compromising position. Barely avoided getting clubbed when I made a break for it, but I doubt that'll last long. I'm skipping town tonight, hijacking a wagon and a few hounds and running for it.

27 OPAL 125

Haha! Made it out. Oceanpumpkin is a fading memory on the horizon now. I can barely see the tallest tower, and I have no intentions of moving to a better vantage point. Pity about his daughter - can't even remember her name now - but there was chemistry there, I could tell.

Probably turn my wagon south for greener pastures now, see if I can sleep my way to one of those formic burghs past the southern deserts. Hopefully, the rumors of their workers' performance aren't exaggerated, and I might be able to have some fun with this exile yet! Even more hopefully, I won't get jumped by some of those creepy walking trees, or - gods help me - a band of spider-centaurs. They might be half-halfling, but they're all freak where it counts.

Ending entry here. There's some rustling in the bushes. Gods, please don't let it be a centaur...

4 OBSIDIAN 125

Damn my cursed luck! Six worthless, unskilled, pathetic excuses for hunters stumbled upon my camp a week or so back. Not a bow between them, just a half-ton of boulders they'd nicked from some fool caravaneer out of the quarries. They hardly even have any food! What kind of hunter doesn't have food? These idiots, that's the kind. Only reason they haven't slit my throat is because their "leader" is a bonnie lass who's taken a shine to me, and I'm on the run from the law myself.

Idiots. What kind of bandit outfit raids a caravan and only steals five knotted bolts of cloth, thirty rock boulders, and a few crates of stone bricks? I mean, ye gods, they've got a lot of rocks - filled my entire damn wagon with the stuff! The hounds I have pulling it are wheezing under the load. You could probably build a damn village out of this many rocks.

Gods. What morons...

5 OBSIDIAN 125

They heard me muttering to myself. Lady Bandit-in-Chief simply loved the idea of building a village out of this stuff - a proper campsite for raiding wagons, she said! As if a wagon would ever come closer than twenty miles to a bandit fortress. You'd have to be some kind of dragon-addled fool to think a trader would brave a road next to a bandit castle. Only way you could profit from that kind of moronic idea is if you went legitimate and started trading with people.

She loved that idea too.

Ah, fuck me. We have three dogs, a mountain's worth of rock, six unskilled migrant workers, no seeds, no food, and we're going to found a godsdamned city. I should've just stayed back home and taken the jail time.

1 GRANITE 126

Well, we're fucking here.

I took a knife to the hounds' harnesses personally and told the idiots that are my new subjects that we're founding our blasted village right here on this spot. The river's frozen, but there's a river. Wood's plentiful, and we managed to wrangle a few aphididas on the way in. I had one of the hunters picking wild pumpkins on the way, so we've got some seeds at least - pumpkin seeds, like civilized hobbits, not tarnish stalk seeds like what these idiots were gnawing on. Is it any wonder they're morons?

Also, I am evidently the mayor now. Lady chief gave me the post since, and I quote, "Ye seems t' be the one o' us wit the most experience in fancy city-living." With a mind like that, it's a godsdamned miracle these idiots actually even managed to steal the rocks.

8 GRANITE 126

Well, the "village" that I dubbed Wooddeath is taking shape. By which I mean, the idiot mason stood on top of his fucking wall and tried building it on top of himself. He literally stood in place, placed a brick on his head, declared that the wall was "almost finished" but that "there's a creature blocking the site", stepped over to the left, and shouted in surprised pain when the brick fell onto his foot. I think he's delusional.

In order to stay out of the maniac's way, I've started digging a root cellar to store our food beneath "town hall", which looks more like an arcane standing stone ring at this point. Maybe if I use it to sacrifice myself to the gods, they'll make sure the souls of these idiots stay away from me in the afterlife.

16 SLATE 126

The "village" is proceeding nicely. A few hovels have been thrown together, wall-to-wall; I live in a spacious stone condo on top of the town hall, as a mayor should. Roughly half of the idiots are sleeping under the stars.

Food supply is gone. We've got some pumpkins growing in a plot to the north, gods only know when those'll sprout. I've ordered the butchering of the six mallards one of the resident morons was feeding our last breadcrumbs to, which tamed them AND wasted our food supply. Fortunately, tame mallards are a food supply. We'll be having meat stew like they made back in Oceanpumpkin within the fortnight.

...is it sad that we can make restaurant-quality meals by hitting a wild duck on the head and boiling it for a bit?

20 SLATE 126

Mallards have almost literally no meat on their damn bones. We're eating a dog now.

26 SLATE 126

Mmmmm...hound fat pies. Just like mom used to make. They were disgusting and slimy then, too, but what the hell can you expect? I mean, the chef is the same genius who brought you Creature Foundations, that stunningly futuristic construction style that will make everything we do an endless source of stubbed toes. Frankly, I'm stunned he managed to make them vaguely circular, and I'm cautiously attributing their edibility to a happy accident.

22 FELSITE 126

Pumpkins finally started sprouting! I never thought I'd ever be so ecstatic to see one of those things ripe for the harvest, except maybe on Samhain. In celebration, I've ordered a still to be set up and the aphididas to be milked so we can brew some honeywine.

On a less celebratory note, we've run out of rocks. Managed to use the last of them for the still and a crafts building, but we're fresh out now. Going to have to make us a few more shovels and set the subhalfling intelligences a-digging for stone if we want the village to expand any further. We need a barn, at least - chitin is sensitive to cold, and I don't want our only sources of drunken bliss dying of frostbite in the heart of winter. An inn would be a nice thing to have, too.

23 FELSITE 126

Idiots. Idiots! One of the godsdamned morons got stuck on the roof a month ago, and nobody saw fit to inform me! I was walking past the damned hovels and saw him poke his head over the side.

"What're you doing up there, lad?" I shouted up at him. By up, I mean maybe six feet away, vertically.
"I cannae git dow', master Mayor!" he sobbed. "I bin stuck up here fer a month with no water or food!"
"You didn't miss much," I grumbled. With a sigh and a shake of my head, I asked, "Why haven't you just jumped down, then, if you're so hungry?"
"I'm afeared o' heights, master Mayor," he admitted. "Much afeared."
I rubbed a hand across my face. He was one of those halflings, which is to say, one of the morons I'd been saddled with. "Too afraid to jump?"
"Aye, master Mayor." Good to know he remembered my Edict of Address. If only he could remember to breathe in the mornings, I might be able to do something with him.
"Do you have anything up there with you?"
"A tree log, master Mayor."
I gave him the most longanimous look of disdain I was capable of producing (I've improved since then). "Build a godsdamned staircase, you idiot."

The look of vacuous shock told me a great deal about these fools. Mainly that, similar to the Norns of mythology, these folk all shared one brain, passing it between themselves occasionally. Obviously, this moron didn't get the brain before he got stuck up there.

16 HEMATITE 126

Here stands the village on the cusp of summer. We've gotten through some annoying times together, and I can honestly say my opinion of these idiots has not improved whatsoever. Our wooden buildings are ugly hodgepodges of whatever the hell we could chop down, one of the idiots is sleeping under an awning in the skeleton of the farming annex, and I barely have a bedroom much less a proper office, but at least we're not in imminent danger of starvation, which is probably an improvement for these folk.

Primary danger consists entirely of a roving pack of hounds in the uncleared woods to the east of the "village", but the rocks here are hard and dense - perfect for hurling. If the idiot brigade figures out how to aim, we should be safe for now.

================

They don't live in hobbit holes because sadly, I forgot to check for hills on embark :( Things are progressing nicely anyways. No severe issues detected, only minor issue is that Honeywine does not appear in the still reactions list  :-\ I shall press on, nevertheless.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 18, 2013, 04:06:09 pm »

I like those wanderers.  More people should arrive from "across uncharted waters".  Of course, that means their starting city should have one of these nearby:
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 18, 2013, 04:30:51 pm »

Superb start. Bonus points for the story, and for starting with no skills, almost no supplies and an above ground village if I read that correctly. :D

Halflings don't have honeywine making enabled in laula's raws, it turns out.  That should probably be added in. If you want to include it in your game you could probably overwrite anvil- or shovel making after having enough of those.

I'm adding it to the first page. Oh, I hope nobody's mad that didn't just allow people from the player pool. It wasn't working too well as you can see from our turns list; since we actually NEED to have the turn going in a week or so (not in principle, but in practice everyone will probably just drop the older version including the player), they need to start pretty fast.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 18, 2013, 05:20:58 pm »

Update 2, wherein Wooddeath encounters the World, and Preparations are made for the Coming Winter
========================
========================

I know for a fact this region freezes in winter, because the river was solid when I first embarked. Not sure about snow, but...poetic license.

Minor Issue? : Halflings evidently do not have an official liaison position, or a national leadership. I could see this being intentional, easily - a nation of city-states, perhaps, without centralized colonization efforts - but confirmation would be appreciated.

Next turn I'm digging for caverns, and we'll see if the cavern creatures - both mine and Laula's - work as hoped and expected :)

EDIT: And thanks for the compliment :)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 18, 2013, 05:52:23 pm »

I know for a fact this region freezes in winter, because the river was solid when I first embarked. Not sure about snow, but...poetic license.

Minor Issue? : Halflings evidently do not have an official liaison position, or a national leadership. I could see this being intentional, easily - a nation of city-states, perhaps, without centralized colonization efforts - but confirmation would be appreciated.

Next turn I'm digging for caverns, and we'll see if the cavern creatures - both mine and Laula's - work as hoped and expected :)

Correct. These are just any hobbits; politics don't really play a part in their life (other than electing the mayor). The liaison you get is not a thain-appointed noble, just some slightly adventurous halfling who took up trading on the side. Assume that they come with the caravan. This also fit well with the minimalist theme. :)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 18, 2013, 06:56:05 pm »

Man, playing a game right now to test out the travelers some more, and I'm trading.
All the plants in this game are so expensive, with the exception of the tarnish stalk, and those things are so bad for your health, I can see why they would be cheaper. I like how that worked out.

Also, we don't have the 3 by 3 wagons at all. Someone needs to make one in the creature files unless we're all ok with just using the smaller space carried by animals.

I mean, I'd be ok with just animals, since that makes the fortress a lot easier to defend. I'm just saying.
The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 18, 2013, 07:27:03 pm »

Yeah, organics were made more expensive on purpose. I guess everyone just sort of went along with that. Tell us how those wanderers turn out to work out.

Good point on the wagon issue. Now you could just go ahead and make a "wagon", but that's kind of boring. Remember that it doesn't have to be like a vanilla wagon at all, I don't think, and I believe we could have several different types. Here's some I made just now. Note that it's good to include a caste type so you can test them in arena mode (with a transformation syndrome at least):

Spoiler: body (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: wagon creatures (click to show/hide)

Tested them briefly, feel free to just add them in or make your own or do both. With equipment it's probably the more variety that exists, the merrier.

Sadly, they still look like ordinary wagons in arena mode. On bottom left is tile 10 in the color that I was hoping for:

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 18, 2013, 07:43:21 pm »

Oh, that's cool.

We could even mount wagons with machine gun if we wanted too.

Update on traveler test = Failed, my fort went mad and by the time the travelers got there, the depot had been destroyed and only 3 sane people were left, so they didn't even come in and say hello.

Here's what I mean.

The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 18, 2013, 07:47:07 pm »

They just went mad? Was someone's art defaced and someone drunk on tarnish vodka vomit in the well? :P

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 18, 2013, 07:51:52 pm »

They just went mad? Was someone's art defaced and someone drunk on tarnish vodka vomit in the well? :P
Yep, every body got fed up with people throwing up in the water pit that didn't have a proper well, and the lack of chairs, and the miasma, and the hunger, and the rotting corpses of their friends and loved ones...

You know, really stupid stuff.

Although the flood in the dormitories is probably what did it.
The Derail Thread

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 18, 2013, 08:51:14 pm »

Hee. I'm eager to see what happens with the caverns, myself! Remember that the Riders live in the 3rd cavern, though if you hit magma, you're nearly guaranteed to find them, because I don't think there's anything else that can spawn in magma.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 261