Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485881 times)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #765 on: July 18, 2013, 09:43:09 pm »

Update 3: In Which Wooddeath is Painted Green, and Chief Blossomwry Digs Deeper

=============================
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
=============================

Minor Quirk: Making wood crafts at a craftsman shop can yield wood gems.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:46:48 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 19, 2013, 12:13:18 am »

Those water grubs that grow as they age reminded me of sand trouts, but in the Dune universe they eventually grow into one of these.
If your water grubs were able to "go feral", it'd be cool to see them converted into a desert megabeast "Sandworm" that creates labyrinths like minotaurs from vanilla.
Sadly, water grubs are a little too small to be dangerous if they go feral - only one kilogram. A shai-hulud would be fun to add, though...
Actually, reading that article on the sand trout, the Growth Grubs I made a while back are similar, though instead of producing spice when squeezed, they produced growth formula. If you guys are interested, the raws are here:

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 19, 2013, 12:25:27 am »

cool i have got this and will start work tomorrow.
I will focus on areas of modding i havn't tried before firstly Graphics set support. then creature graphics (interpreting some creatures will be interesting)
then i will add more materials for diversity

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 19, 2013, 12:48:44 am »

cool i have got this and will start work tomorrow.
I will focus on areas of modding i havn't tried before firstly Graphics set support. then creature graphics (interpreting some creatures will be interesting)
then i will add more materials for diversity
If you make a graphic for my mysterious travelers, just make them look like short, robed guys, they're actually smaller than halflings.

Come to think of, I think I inadvertently made a race of Jawas.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 19, 2013, 01:01:49 am »

I can likely sketch out anything that isn't obvious from its name or description, in my raws. I think that category mainly consists of the water striders. If you can somehow do individual tree graphics, the cam versarai tree is basically a trunk that terminates in three long, broad, stiff fronds.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

emeralis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 19, 2013, 02:06:09 am »

grey rock, boring and dull and without a green thing growing in it
This gives me an idea.  Mossy Rock:  When you mine it, instead of dropping a boulder, it drops rock moss, which can be brewed into a healthy drink.  It would probably be a vein stone.
If no one picks it up, I might start making it.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 19, 2013, 02:11:59 am »

I've had an idea or two about some more rocks to add, I might help.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 19, 2013, 04:32:22 am »

Cool stuff, all. I'm especially happy with everything.

^ very nicely shows off many differences from vanilla bodies and attacks in one screencap.

We currently don't have any fuel for smelting other than food. How about growable fuel that you can farm? Might make it more viable as an alternative to magma even in the long run.

My suggestion: reaction to burn tarnish stalks for fuel, kitchen/kiln/smelter (with kitchen you could make it automatic). Consume 1-5 tarnish stalks, produce charcoal. Also great as a way to get rid of the damn things which seem to be genuinely annoying at times.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 19, 2013, 04:59:19 am »

I think I'm going to start making a cat equivalent/vermin hunter in my free time. Don't worry, they won't adopt owners, probably. I don't plan to sign up for an official turn though. I don't think I have a weeks worth of ideas.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 19, 2013, 11:57:04 am »

Got sidetracked modding again. I'm very happy right now.

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:ENTLING]
[NAME:entling:entlings:entling]
[CASTE_NAME:entling:entlings:entling]
[CREATURE_TILE:'e'][COLOR:2:0:1]
[DESCRIPTION:Smaller, docile versions of the mighty Ents that roam the world. Their fruits are delicious, though you'll have to tame one in order to get at them.]
[PREFSTRING:delicious fruit][PREFSTRING:inability to stomp all over their house.]
[DIURNAL]
[BODY:2PART_HEAD_FRAME:BRANCHES:ROOTS:TAPROOT]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:PLANT_MOBILE_MATLAYER]
[EXTRAVISION]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:BRANCHES_APPEARANCE_MODIFIERS]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:BARK_APPEARANCE_MODIFIERS]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:LEAF_COLOR_NORMAL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ATTACK_BRANCH_STRIKE]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:IS_MOTILE_PLANT]
[GOOD]
[BIOME:ANY_FOREST][CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:7][POPULATION_NUMBER:200:400]
[PET][PETVALUE:200][MOUNT] see "Isengard", "Last March of the Ents"
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:8000]
[BODY_SIZE:10:0:60000]
[BODY_SIZE:40:0:90000] Smaller but still larger than humans
[LARGE_ROAMING][MEANDERER][BENIGN]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SAP:LIQUID]
[CREATURE_CLASS:ALL]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[SWIM_SPEED:3000]
[ITEMCORPSE:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:ENTWOOD]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]

[SELECT_CASTE:FEMALE]
[SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:MALE]
[TISSUE:FRUIT]
[TISSUE_NAME:fruit:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:ENTFRUIT]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

[SELECT_TISSUE:FRUIT]
[TISSUE_LAYER_OVER:BY_CATEGORY:BRANCH:FRUIT]

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FRUIT]
[TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[APP_MOD_RATE:1:DAILY:0:300:0:0:NO_END]
[SHEARABLE_TISSUE_LAYER:LENGTH:90]

Shearable, fruit-making little trees. Well, "little" is relative, as they're bigger than a human, let alone a halfling, but still smaller than the megabeast version I'm working on. It took me a little, but poking through the MLP mod I finally figured out how to make more advanced descriptors, and now I shall create races of needlessly detailed monsters to terrorize the earth!

...well, if the next guy wants to add them in.

EDIT: Combat testing shows that these things are kind of like the Womping Willow with legs. Six branches, all being used at random for a clubbing attack while a terrified hobbit tries to dodge.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:00:48 pm by StLeibowitz »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 19, 2013, 01:09:53 pm »

I think i have a bug report - in every world that i have generated with the latest version, there have been no shallow metals except for sites which are actually in the sea.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 19, 2013, 02:28:41 pm »

Sorry if I'm missing anything, but is this cool for anyone to download, or is the goal more of a succession?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 19, 2013, 02:36:27 pm »

Go ahead and download. Post a report of how things go, too - playtesting is always welcome! I think the succession aspect is more applied to the actual modding, really.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 19, 2013, 02:48:10 pm »

Update 4: In Which Spring Arrives and Preparations are Made for an Expedition

===============================
===============================

Nothing has emerged to massacre us yet, so I'm going to find them. Blade will be digging a staircase to Cav2 while Chief and his boys reveal the rest of Cav1. Hopefully there's an underground passage to Cav3 or - gods help us - something more interesting down there :)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 19, 2013, 04:28:44 pm »

I think i have a bug report - in every world that i have generated with the latest version, there have been no shallow metals except for sites which are actually in the sea.

That's interesting to note, but I can't help but feel the RNG is merely spitting in your face, not that it's necessarily my fault. Let's see....

Out of the three metals I personally added, one is found in metamorpic rock only (and infrequently, in small clusters no less), so that won't ever be listed as shallow. The other two I added, one is sedimentary only, and another is found in alluvial veins and both types of igneous rock.

As for the other metals I had nothing to do with, a quick inspection of the raws turns up some likely culprits. Both ores of meteoric iron, Taenite and Kamacite, appear only as clusters within layers of "rock". The generic rock, while once ludicrously common, is actually not so anymore. While it can appear in literally any environment, it has to compete with the other types of rock I've added to the game. Azurine and Kazurot can also make up sedimentary layers, and they cannot contain meteoric iron ores, only Lunaniumite. Leylite and Tetraline are igneous intrusive, meaning they are most likely to appear underground and/or in highly volcanic regions, and Polynzite is igneous extrusive, and can appear above-ground in volcanic areas. All these stones will contain Aeresiumite, but will exclude the presence of meteoric iron within themselves--you need to get lucky and get a layer of 'rock'. (I feel like we should also rename generic rock to something else, just for the sake of naming conventions.) Celestium is also extremely rare--it appears as small clusters only within celestial marble, which itself only appears as large clusters within metamorphic rock--so it can't be a shallow metal either. Promethium comes from Kazbekite, which comes in igneous rock, both intrusive and extrusive, and so it's possible to be shallow metal if you get a highly volcanic region. Then I guess there's aurum, which isn't -explicitly- a metal, since you can't take it to the forge and make stuff out of it, but it is highly valuable silk with the material properties of gold, so I guess there's that... but it's a creature emission and never shows up in the dirt.

So it looks like, for shallow metals, your options are the occasional Lunaniumite vein in sedimentary stone, potentially Kazbekite and Aeresiumite in shallow igneous rocks. If you haven't jacked up the mineral frequency from default, you're also going to get a lot less metal in the world, period, and that can contribute to your lack of shallow metal. The world I'm playing, I genned a medium island with only a few tweaks from vanilla (mainly turning off random creatures to make DF whine slightly less). I set the mineral scarcity to somewhere around I think 1000-1200, something in that range, and I have shallow metal all OVER the damn place. In and out of the oceans. Yes, there is a lot of shallow metal in the oceans, and I think that has something to do with the fact that I didn't define a stone that can make up oceanic regions, so the only one available is Halfling's Rock, which contains meteoric iron. But that shouldn't affect the ability to find shallow metal elsewhere.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 261