Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485843 times)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1035 on: July 27, 2013, 10:21:11 pm »

i tried uploading to dffd but it would not

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 28, 2013, 06:47:25 am »

Thanks for your contribution. Sackhead's turn added and may be playtested (you can show it off yourself too).

Hugo's modding turn is up :)

In other matters, how do we get more player stories and testing in? Do you think the high pace of modding may be causing the shortage?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 28, 2013, 08:16:25 am »

they now burst into flame if they get to close to magma
I may well begin unofficially playtesting in a week or so. Would be earlier, but i'm away next week.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 28, 2013, 10:44:35 am »

Just genned a world and I've begun play testing. the first thing I noticed was that the apple tree processing reaction at the lumber yard doesn't work (or I'm doing it wrong). It requires something called "Apple Tree Plant Logs" and I haven't been able to acquire those. Are they supposed to drop from the apple trees you cut down or do I have to gather/cut a special "fruit bearing" apple tree?

Edit: Aaaand I've lost my settlement. A group of 40 water striders came along, the poor guys didn't stand a chance :(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:07:49 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 28, 2013, 01:08:46 pm »

See? Too many wild animals are automatically hostile and extremely dangerous.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 28, 2013, 03:21:03 pm »

Now that there is a new version to try, I suppose that I shall take a playing-turn soon. If what the last few posts have said is true, though, this one may be quite short.

On an unrelated note, progress on my wheelers is trudging along, though I might want to nerf them slightly, seeing how dangerous the world is as-of-now.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 28, 2013, 07:49:29 pm »

I would like a modding turn, please.
In general, almost all of the creatures made by this community want to kill you. Most of them are also very good at doing so.
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 28, 2013, 08:27:21 pm »

In general, almost all of the creatures made by this community want to kill you. Most of them are also very good at doing so.

Indeed, the test for most of them was their capability of killing poor Halflings. We're probably starting to approach the thousands for Halflings sacrificed in the arena.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 28, 2013, 09:04:34 pm »

I never thought I would say this, but my wild dragons will be a welcome relief.  I made them to annoy.  Now the reaction will be "Good, it's only a dragon."
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 28, 2013, 10:42:41 pm »

Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 28, 2013, 11:20:20 pm »

I never thought I would say this, but my wild dragons will be a welcome relief.  I made them to annoy.  Now the reaction will be "Good, it's only a dragon."

But that's still hostile. Everything's out to either kill or pester, nothing just passing through looking pretty, only interacted with if you decide to capture or kill them. Many of our wild animals are equivalent to the semi-megabeasts (at least) in vanilla. That's the thing about game design: everyone wants to make bosses, no one wants to go through the world adding ambient butterflies.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 29, 2013, 12:01:33 am »

i agree with hugoluman we need more harmless animals.
i didn't realy help in my turn but i am not good at creature editing

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1047 on: July 29, 2013, 12:09:20 am »

I'm up for adding a crapload of nonsensical and [BENIGN] animals, if I can take a modding turn.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 29, 2013, 12:22:56 am »

I'm up for adding a crapload of nonsensical and [BENIGN] animals, if I can take a modding turn.
As long as they can all be milked, sheared, and harvested for personal gain!
Oh, wait, we're hobbits, not dwarves.
Carry on, good sir.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 29, 2013, 01:29:47 am »

Here is the first part of my (hopefully/doubtfully) 2-year play through of the latest version.

-----

From the journal of Gnorm, the halfling mayor of Mastertea, found at the ruins of the settlement:

26th Obsidian, 550

What a spectacular turn of events the last few months have been. It all began when my friend, who happens to be a bookkeeper of my hometown, told me about a rumor that The Galls of Pumpkin, our home civilization, was planning to expand its borders further into The Calm Hill. Immediately, I realized that the halflings migrating into this new area would need a town, and I was soon determined to be the first in this new frontier.

I have spent the last couple of months recruiting willing workers, gathering supplies, and studying atlases for the ideal area. Below is the area that I have selected for my town.

The area is, according to my atlas, in range of the closest formic, tree lord, and spider-centaur civilizations, so I must be cautious to stay on good terms with the peaceful ones and to defend myself from the dangerous ones.

I have made careful preparations to ensure that I have all of the supplies that I require. I have compiled my list below for easy reference.

I have decided to call our local government "The Mighty Halflings," as a testament to our bravery of this new frontier. In addition, my town shall go by the name of "Mastertea."

1st Granite, 551

We have arrived at last! Upon surveying the area, it seems to be filled mostly with colorful flora and mallards.

First things first. I set my men at work to build basic workshops, bridge the brook, build our basic necessities, and give our pack beetle an area to graze at.

17th Granite, 551

Started work on a basic mine. It turns out that there is a pretty blue stone called "azurine" beneath the earth. It will make an excellent stone for my town hall.

27th Granite, 551

A basic farm has been constructed in the sand beneath the earth. It will provide us with our much needed food.

13th Slate, 551

Incredible! As I was digging deeper into the earth with the intention of finding some extra stone, I found myself within an enormous underground cavern.

I shall have my men explore it at once; I do hope that there aren't any hostile creatures.

24th Slate, 551

Built a temporary dormitory until we are prepared to construct actual buildings. Moss has strangely begun to grow out of the cavern into our tunneled areas. I must think of a way to combat this nuisance.

27th Slate, 551

Finally have a functional well built in preparation for winter. Hopefully, this shall keep us from drinking all of our vodka when the brook is frozen solid.

Before I left to this site, my bookkeeper friend promised me that he would inform the government of our settlement, and that traders would come to us. Thus, I have started work on some trinkets to trade with.

24th Felsite, 551

This shall, most likely, be my last entry before the Summertime, so I shall summarize all that has happened in this last month. We have several workshops built, though no true buildings have been constructed with the exception of the trade depot. Two farms have been constructed: one above ground and one beneath it. We have a dormitory and a well built in the sand near our mine, which is leaking moss from the cavern. I have also made 100 coins worth in smoking pipes. I hope to begin construction of more advanced buildings in the next season.

May Mastertea live forever!
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 261