Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492364 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1080 on: July 29, 2013, 10:02:16 pm »

They grab with their mouths, of course.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: July 29, 2013, 11:05:31 pm »

They could have little jets on them. Obviously, they can synthesize some kind of flammable lifting gas - it'd make sense from an evolutionary standpoint and from an interesting-design standpoint if they deployed excess gas as propulsion fuel.

Well, and a defense mechanism, but fireball-spewing blimp gazelle kinda defeats the purpose of having benign animals wandering about  :P
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 30, 2013, 01:44:44 am »

Part 3: In which the year 551 comes to an end
-----

From the Journal of Gnorm:

4th Limestone, 551

Traded with the supply caravan today.

Bought several useful items, including a male hound. I'll try to have it trained as soon as possible. I sold all of our pipes, though, so I'll have to order new ones.

21st Limestone, 551

Due to the shortage on stone, I have designated a small underground section to be dug out. This will hopefully give us more to work with.

24th Limestone, 551

The last thing we needed at this moment was more migrants. We're hardly a proper town yet they still come as if we were. For my convenience, the migrant list is as follows:

1 Brewer
1 Hunter
2 Masons
1 Cook
1 Surgeon

Surprisingly, unlike the last wave of migrants, I actually have use for all of their professions. I shall put them to good work immediately.

15th Sandstone, 551

Built a stone floor around my well. Surprisingly, this has been the only progression of moment for weeks. Work has been quite slow, lately.

25th Sandstone, 551

At last! we have an actual building in our town!

We have just finished building our dining hall. It can only seat eight, but it is a building. Plus, my manager and bookkeeper have been bothering me for offices, so I have given them both spots in the dining room as temporary "offices."

2nd Timber, 551

We now have an area for our only soldier to train her skills. I know not what may be a threat to us, so she'll need to be prepared for the worst.

I have been nervous about the cavern and what might live in it; I am considering constructing traps.

7th Timber, 551

The time has come to harvest our tarnish stalk farm. It shall be used to sustain our people.

11th Timber, 551

We now have pumpkins at our disposal. I shall make sure that they are put to good use.

18th Timber, 551

A merchant caravan from the forested civilization "Jribidleelus" has been spotted in the distance. I have heard rumors that the elves are not as they seem. However silly they are, I still feel that I must exercise caution when dealing with them.

We currently have nothing to trade with, so I have ordered five pipes to be made.

Supplementary Entry

What timing! A caravan from our civilization has come right behind the elves. I'm not sure how this shall end.

23rd Timber, 551

I met with the diplomat, today, which proceeded almost exactly as it did the time before.

1st Moonstone, 551

Winter has arrived. Both caravans are still at the depot, waiting. We have not yet churned out the pipes need to trade. Soon, I hope, I shall meet with them.

7th Moonstone, 551

Today I traded with both civilizations.

The elves didn't bring too much, and of what they brought little was useful. I decided to not bother wasting any of my pipes on their cheap crap this year.

Our fellow halflings had much more for us to use. I purchased all of their wood, as well as some more tarnish stalks and seeds.

The elfish guard uneases me. Being that the elf is unarmed, I feel that even our captain could take it out. The living tree, on the other hand, looks as if it would be harder to kill. If we are ever to make an attack on the forested merchants, it must occur when we have a stronger army.

23rd Moonstone, 551

Both caravans have started packing today. Thank the gods! Diplomacy may be important, but the walking tree was just making me nervous. Seeing how often merchants seem to come, I have designated many more pipes to be made.

11th Opal, 551

The river has finally frozen over today. We, fortunately, still have enough water in our reservoir to last until it thaws. I am hoping to put the ice to good use.

22nd Opal, 551

Our stone crafter has created a masterpiece of a pipe today!

This shall fetch a decent prize on any caravan.

26th Opal, 551

The brook is running once again. The cold season in these hills seems to last hardly two weeks. This has put to rest all of my hopes of crafting pipes out of ice.

13th Obsidian, 551

Two furnaces have been constructed outside. These shall allow us to smelt our metal ore in the foreseeable future. Perhaps we shall soon see our captain with some new equipment.

27th Obsidian, 551

After almost one whole year, we now have metal bars at our disposal.

With metal comes industry, and with that industry we shall grow and thrive. I plan on giving the captain the weapons she deserves, and perhaps I shall improve the design of our well.

This is my last entry for the year 551; in two days time, it shall be 552. I plan on progress this coming year; construction on the town hall must begin. Our finest year awaits us!
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 30, 2013, 01:57:23 am »

Wait, the elves have [UTTERANCES]?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: July 30, 2013, 02:22:35 am »

Wait, the elves have [UTTERANCES]?
Yup
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: July 30, 2013, 04:46:53 am »

What amazes me more is how he can subsist on tarnish stalks and even farm them yet not everything is covered in vomit, especially not the well. Did you tone down their toxicity somehow?

Regardless, maybe this is the play turn that finally meets some megabeasts and invaders. Titillating.

The Urist

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in slaughter lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: July 30, 2013, 05:26:28 am »

Sign me in for modding, please  :). Oh, I have already made two creatures for this this.
''He was 'twitching' because he's got MY AXE EMBEDDED IN HIS NERVOUS SYSTEM!''~Gimli

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: July 30, 2013, 12:45:01 pm »

Part 4: In which the second year begins
-----

4th Granite, 552

In my excitement over finally having metal bars in the town I had completely forgotten that we have no sort of anvil to work with. Thus, I have ordered our metal to be melted into a crude substitute, until we can either forge or purchase a superior one.

I worry that our captain is not getting the best training on her own. Perhaps I shall find her a sparring partner when the next wave of migrants comes.

From an Official Mayoral Mandate, Dated 5th Granite, 522:

Citizens of Mastertea,

Due to their use, cultural importance, and scarcity in our settlement, the export of boxes and bags is strictly forbidden until further notice.

Signed,
Gnorm Greenwitch, Mayor of Mastertea

19th Granite, 552

Unbelievable! Since our blacksmith was on a break, I told the presser to handle the anvil production. I told him to simply melt a bar into a sort of an anvil-esque shape. When I returned later, I found him and some workers lugging off a whole supply of them!

I don't know how he managed to make so many anvils with just one bar, but I don't think that we'll even need to purchase another one.

By the gods! we're rich!

10th Slate, 552

The first babies of our town have been born, and our stone crafter has become a loving mother of three.

The two sons are Fairy Lovingplain and Aether Volegreen, respectively. The daughter is named Expedition Halflingpast, an honorable name for any halfling, in my opinion.

18th Slate, 552

Another migrant wave; it's time once again to list off the incoming professions.

1 Animal Caretaker
1 Blacksmith
1 Trapper
1 Pack Beetle Nymph
1 Leatherworker
3 Clothiers
1 Cook
1 Golden Mamaphint Miller (Pet)
1 Weaver
3 Mallard (Pets)
1 Bombus Nymph
1 Tanner

In other news, the captain has given birth to a daughter named Stupidity Titdragon. With all due respect to our dear captain, I have no idea what she was thinking.

Our total population is now 33 halflings (4 of which are babies), 4 pets, 1 caged hound, and 4 livestock animals.

21st Slate, 552

Today our miner and our woodcutter from the original expedition team have been married to each other. While they have decided to forego any formal celebrations, there is an air of jubilation about the hamlet.

In other uplifting news, we now have meteoric iron at our disposal. The captain shall be pleased.

2nd Felsite, 552

We have had another marriage today, again between two of our original expedition team. They have, as the others did, forgone any formal festivities.

3rd Felsite, 552

We finally have metal equipment for our captain. She is quite pleased. I shall try to find her some subordinates soon.

7th Felsite, 552

Progress occurs! I have at last begun to plan out the first walls of our future town hall! It shall be my home and workplace in this hamlet. In addition, I am considering plans to dig beneath the cavern to see what exists beneath.

12th Felsite, 552

A merchant caravan and a diplomat from our civilization are nearing our hamlet. I have taken immediate measures to ensure that they are properly received. Many anvils and pipes have been ordered to be moved to the depot.

13th Felsite, 552

A forested caravan has arrived now, and, as the last one did, it uneases me. I am considering sending my troops against it.

19th Felsite, 552

Today I, once again, attempted to trade with the elfish merchants.

And, once again, I found them to have absolutely nothing of use.

Trade with my fellow halflings got me much more in the means of useful items. Even if many of the things that I bought were over-priced seeds, they are still more useful than the elves and their cheap wood. At the very least, I bought a new sort of metal from the caravans.

25th Felsite, 552

I met with the diplomat today. As always, he asked me what I need. I answered that we needed new sorts of seeds for our farms. In return, he informed me that cut gems were "in vogue" and that many merchants would pay top dollar. Gems, unfortunately, are something that we have never had an access to.

2nd Hematite, 552

I hardly noticed when the seasons changed. It is now the second Summer of Mastertea's existence. I must say, while it still hardly qualifies as a hamlet, we are progressing. Once our town hall is finished, I'll commission a jail and a hospital.

Our captain now has two subordinates that she has begun to train. I have confidence that they shall become fine soldiers. I have nothing but high hopes for the future of this hamlet!

Supplementary Entry

Gods! the dining hall is coated in vomit!

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: July 30, 2013, 02:24:03 pm »

Sign me in for modding, please  :). Oh, I have already made two creatures for this this.

Adding. Welcome  :)

Gnorm, tarnish stalks and tarnish stalk products cause vomiting when consumed. That's why they're so cheap.

Also, looks like the anvil casting reaction broke again. Probably should add [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] to the reagent to be safe.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 30, 2013, 02:38:25 pm »

Gnorm, tarnish stalks and tarnish stalk products cause vomiting when consumed. That's why they're so cheap.
I am well-aware of the issues that surround consumption of the tarnish stalks, though sometimes one has to make do with tarnish stalk pie. The last post was more an expression of annoyance than surprise.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 30, 2013, 02:40:09 pm »

Hey, any unclaimed people with no relations or gods?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 30, 2013, 04:57:12 pm »

You mean you don't have mountains of eggs? What heresy is this?

Also curious what the "new type of metal" you obtained from the caravan is. I saw them bring an oxyline block and I just groaned. I'm almost considering modifying the reaction to allow blocks, because apparently oxyline is far more scarce than I thought. They HAVE oxyline, though, so you can probably order some from the mountainhomes. If you do, please try to smelt some Iridium for me. I'm curious how that goes. Remember, Iridium is found in the caverns (metamorphic rock, so basically caverns), in small clusters a la vanilla gem formations, so you're gonna have to do exploratory mining to find them. In addition to the oxyline, you'll also need to go kill some Pale Riders to get your hands on some magmaline. They DO breed (at least they should, unless I fucked that up), so if you can capture a breeding pair, you're good to go. Of course.... good luck with that. ;)

Also HOLY FUCK anybody check their error log lately? Mine is FOUR HUNDRED AND NINETY SIX KILOBYTES. Two instances of "missing rcp_gloss_paw", which is expected (and convenient, as it acts as an automatic delimiter between play sessions", 49 instances of "Impoverished word selector", another instance of rcp_gloss_paw, and then the entire rest of the file is "Midmap effective coordinate check out of bounds" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:02:33 pm by laularukyrumo »
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: July 30, 2013, 04:59:49 pm »

Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 30, 2013, 05:15:02 pm »

StLeibowitz, if I get around to making gnomes would you mind if I made them the alchemists instead of halflings? As little people go halflings have always had agriculture as their shtick and gnomes tend to do alchemy
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 30, 2013, 07:19:04 pm »

If you're referring to the [CREATURE_CLASS:ALCHEMIST] token, I'd advise leaving it on halflings as well, unless you intend to strip alchemy fully from that race - I use that creature class so the bloodletting and paralysis incense don't paralyze and/or cause fatal hemorrhaging in races that deploy alchemical defenses.

If you're just referring to alchemy jobs and reactions and such, go ahead :)

@Laula and errorlog: I tend to delete mine every other play session, otherwise it gets unreadably long...like yours seems to have.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 261