Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492469 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1095 on: July 30, 2013, 08:43:11 pm »

Part 5: In which the incompetent mayor of Mastertea gets little done, bosses halflings around, launches a temerarious attack, gets a soldier killed, and drives a chef mad
-----

From the Journal of Gnorm

12th Hematite, 552

I have finally dug out an area for that hound to be trained. If we are to brave the deeper, darker crevices of the world, we'll need larger support.

14th Hematite, 552

I have officially ended my ban on the export of boxes and bags. We don't even have enough of them that we would give them up!

19th Hematite, 552

The elves have finally begun to leave, and the walking tree is lagging behind. Now is my chance, I have ordered the captain to take her squad and to finish it quickly and quietly.

20th Hematite, 552

Things seem to be going well for our troops.

21st Hematite, 552

The tree can only last so much longer.

22nd Hematite, 552

The tree-like beast has taken a victim! Evil Etherealhame, the wife of the captain's only other subordinate, now lies dead on the ground.

Nearby, the widower axeman lies down tending to his broken and smashed arm. Tragic as this event is, I am positive that the captain shall make the beast pay. As of now, she has only a scratch as a wound of battle.

23rd Hematite, 552

Amid the intense fighting between halfling and beast, our brewer has given birth to triplets. Her children are Peace Fairyevil, Son Hazyflax, and Red Blackcozy. I swear, they shall be sleep in bed made of tree lord carrion!

Supplementary Entry

As I was finishing my last entry, our cook just gave birth to twins. Their names are Pumpkin Oafguardian and Champion Dragonwry.

25th Hematite, 552

One of our cooks seems to be acting quite strange lately; I'll be sure to keep an eye on her.

She just now barged into our (rarely used) bowyer's shop and claimed it as her own. I'll be interested to see what she does next.

26th Hematite, 552

I was forced to withdraw our two remaining soldiers from the battlefield today. Soon afterward, the tree lord coward began to flee, likely back to its home civilization. It has become clear to me that the sentient trees are strong enough to face the meteoric iron hatchet. I'll need something stronger.

1st Malachite, 552

I have designated a small area in the dormitory to serve as a temporary hospital for our wounded soldiers.

The cook that claimed the workshop is demanding that she be provided with silk cloth. I've already informed her that we have not the means to obtain such a cloth, yet she continues to scream all day and all night.

I'm having proper burial rites prepared for our fallen warrior. One who has died in battle such as she must entombed in the caverns, as will I, when the time comes.

4th Malachite, 552

I have ordered another "crude anvil" to be cast, thus that we may have things with which we shall trade once another caravan arrives.

14th Malachite, 552

I have ordered my craftsmen to create for our settlement a small number of boxes and bags. These containers shall enhance the way that we in store our items in Mastertea!

17th Malachite, 552

The training has paid off. We now have a vicious war hound to tear apart any intruders from the land or from the cavern!

23rd Malachite, 552

Another wave of migrants has arrived. I'm starting to realize how desperately we need actual buildings. The migrants are:

1 Animal Caretaker
1 Woodworker
1 Tanner
1 Bowyer
2 Mechanics
1 Shearer
1 Woodcrafter
1 Woodcutter
1 Lye Maker
1 Weaver

There are now 48 citizens in Mastertea, and I feel that now is the time to put them to use.

4th Galena, 552

I've decided that, in order to lighten the mood, an amulet must be created at once!

7th Galena, 552

Our fallen comrade has been entombed within the earth at last. The engravings are fairly standard specimens of halfling art, being mainly of plants and gourds.

When her husband's time comes, I will do all in my power to ensure that he is buried next to her.

13th Galena, 552

Another forested caravan has arrived; I'll not attack this one.

Meanwhile, the cook that demanded silk has now gone absolutely mad! She is running wildly about whilst screaming. I fear for her and her future.

17th Galena, 552

Our halfling caravan and liaison has arrived. As always, I think that I'll trade with this one instead.

19th Galena, 552

I'll not waste much ink in over my meeting; as always it was uneventful. I have put in a request for more types of metal.

27th Galena, 552

The season is coming to an end, and, come next season, I shall trade with our parent civilization.

I have started a new military squad while the other one is recovering in the hospital. This one, as of now, shall not be used in any attempts against the tree lords.

There is much to do next season, but I am determined to get it all done.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 30, 2013, 09:01:17 pm »

Good to see the walking trees remain as obscenely hard to kill as ever. This is why everything is horribly lethal - they have to be, just to have a prayer of murdering an...an elf.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 30, 2013, 10:06:10 pm »

Did you know, pear leaves can be smoked recreationally and were used before the discovery of tobacco by Europeans? I'm going to get on that.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1098 on: July 30, 2013, 11:27:34 pm »

We also need oranges. Trees and fruit.

Well, OK, not really, but I like to think we need that.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 31, 2013, 12:32:44 am »

if the caravans are offering them mt mamaphints make good war animals and might help against the treelords, plus for meat they are born at full size. this is because creatures size does not increase in fort mode not to make them o.p

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: July 31, 2013, 01:06:39 am »

>Midmap effective coordinate check out of bounds

Anyone have a clue so as to what this is? I didn't see it there before. Is some creature's pathfinding now bugged? If it keeps making errorlogs unreadable, that's actually pretty bad.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: July 31, 2013, 01:18:32 am »

Nothing to worry about, not raw related, move along.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: July 31, 2013, 01:22:22 am »

Anyone have a clue so as to what this is? I didn't see it there before. Is some creature's pathfinding now bugged? If it keeps making errorlogs unreadable, that's actually pretty bad.
I've never seen any error like that, and googling it gives me a few results about a hard to track down crash bug back in 0.31.03 and 0.31.11.

PRE-EDIT: Ninja'd by Putnam

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 31, 2013, 02:01:21 am »

Okay, thanks.

Also, "dripping treelord molten skin"? Again? I thought we dealt with that already. Current raws:

Spoiler: creature (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: b_detail_plan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: tissue templates (click to show/hide)

So yeah, it has a sap tissue but not a sap material to bleed. Fix: either repair it properly by making a sap material (BFEL?), or add
   [ADD_MATERIAL:SAP:BLOOD_TEMPLATE_HLG]
to b_detail_plan_bfel:PLANT_MATERIALS_BFEL for a quick fix.

TheClam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: July 31, 2013, 05:20:36 am »

Posting to watch.
Damn, I need to learn to mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1105 on: July 31, 2013, 06:11:14 am »

Its easy. Even I managed to learn it.  ;) But really, not coding knowledge is needed.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 31, 2013, 08:53:18 am »

PTW. This is so neat. Though I agree we could do with some more weak benign animals to stand between the ranks of megabeast-esque monstrosities that can kill with a glance, :P. I'd attempt to make one myself, but given my complete ignorance in modding and general lack of creativity, I'd probably end up with a cheap plump helmet man (or gremlin) imitation. Still, I look forward to seeing what you'll come up with next.  :)
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

TheClam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: July 31, 2013, 10:29:02 am »

Its easy. Even I managed to learn it.  ;) But really, not coding knowledge is needed.

Thanks. I think I'm already picking it up. Working on making a race of sentient, flying jellyfish from scratch ATM. If I manage to get it to work, I'll submit it here. I have some pretty neat ideas for what I want to do with them as a civ, so we'll see if I can work out how to put them all in the game  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:33:39 am by TheClam »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 31, 2013, 12:46:21 pm »

Alright, I think I'm working on the wrong version of the RAWs. Can someone give me a link to the most recent version?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1109 on: July 31, 2013, 12:58:52 pm »

Yeah, I'd be interested to have a look as well. Just professional curiosity, I want to know how bad you guys messed up all the nice DF raws, and added fancy-pants words like "STRUCTURE" instead of "STRUCTURAL" and all that. :P

And the flying blimp-gazelle of course.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 261