Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 490120 times)

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1125 on: August 01, 2013, 10:32:53 am »

I've been keeping up with this thread the whole time, and I've gotta say I'm really looking forward to when it has enough of everything required to possibly be considered a 'finished world', though I imagine people will always want to add more.

It's going to be a world very different from DF, a world wholly conflicting and yet in a strange sort of harmony. It's wacky, it's crazy, it'll treat you to powerful tools, amusing creatures and many new, interesting and horrible deaths. It's a great example of an idea gone very right, and man is it cool to look at. The origins, the hilarious bugs, the numerous ideas and implementations, it's a hotbed of creativity and variety that one world created by one person just could not achieve, especially since it is not limited by conventions of realism.

I for one really enjoy where this is going and am eager what else comes in and what is the final result, should it come to a conclusion. I also think that it might serve as an excellent example of what can be accomplished by modding the RAWs.

Keep up the fun, hilarity and FUN!

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 01, 2013, 10:56:38 am »

Part 6: In which shit gets real for the good hobbits of Mastertea
-----

From the Journal of Gnorm

16th Limestone, 552

I traded today with my fellow halflings. I see now why they carry so much with them. The weight of all of the anvils I was trading with caused the merchant to complain about how how his animals couldn't carry the weight. This forced me to purchase heavier, more expensive goods. On top of that, he would continuously demand I gave him more anvils to pay for thousands more than what I owe. Those traders are just lucky that they're not hanging out with walking trees.

24th Limestone, 552

The cook that went mad over the lack of silk has finally screamed her self to death.

Her death was dishonorable; she shall be buried in a clay tunnel.

12th Sandstone, 552

The cook has been entombed in in a simple grave beneath the earth. It seems as if the days are going by without anything of moment to report.

26th Sandstone, 552

Gods above! a monster!

I've heard legends of these creatures, but never did I believe that I would actually meet one. A Man-eater is within range of Mastertea! The military must be mobilized immediately. I'll not stand to have my village destroyed!

28th Sandstone, 552

The diplomat was just killed. What a shame; he never gave me the export agreements.

1st Timber, 552

A soldier and a war dog have been killed. As unfortunate as this is, while the beast was distracted, one of our recruits surprised the beast and has it on the defensive.

2nd Timber, 552

This brave soul is the one that dealt the killing blow on the beast. His bravery is a true testament to this town. I'll see to it that his deed is not forgotten.

Odds bodkins! not again!

Supplementary Entry

More migrants have arrived, and thank goodness they didn't arrive just a few days earlier.

The list is:
1 Animal Trainer
1 Bone Carver
1 Mason
1 Thresher
2 Bowyers
1 Potter
1 Wax Worker
The population is now up to 54 bodies.

13th Timber, 552

This happens far too often these days.

14th Timber, 552

Good gods! the walking trees have returned. They seem awfully accepting of the fact that we practically maimed one of their own.

18th Timber, 552

I met today with the liaison; he seemed unconcerned about the recent attack and the dead former liaison.

23rd Timber, 552

What the hell is going on? In the distance I can see a great forest fire approaching our town! Where it came from I have no idea, but immediate measures must be taken!

26th Timber, 552

Everyone has taken shelter in the tunnels to avoid being burnt to a crisp. Everyone except the mason who refuses to leave the workshop. I feel sorry for him.

27th Timber, 552

Miasma from the rotting tarnish stalk is getting everyone on edge, but it's better than burning to a crisp.

1st Moonstone, 552

The fire has stopped, and just in time for winter. I wonder how such a fire could have started; certainly it could not have been intentional.

And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: August 01, 2013, 11:26:16 am »

I have the slight feeling that we should probably reduce the frequency of halfling caravans.

Also, I may have to bugfix the alchemy stuff, as I forgot to mark the volatile incenses as "special", to prevent caravans from bringing them along. That might be the cause of the fire...
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: August 01, 2013, 12:35:46 pm »

Okay. It seems this play turn is uncovering lots of shortcomings. Let's collect a list of important fixes that could be added just now so sackhead or Hugo could add them.
If possible, please include an exact description of the fix and include a link so it doesn't take them forever to look for it.

Mine:

Urgent bugfix:
1. Fix anvil reaction to only give 1 anvil ever: in reaction_halfling.txt, in [REACTION:CAST_CRUDE_ANVIL_HLG], after [REAGENT line add [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] token
2. Fix the apple tree reaction inclusion not actually working
3. Fix treelords not bleeding any material -> bleeding molten skin
4. StL's suggestion about adding [SPECIAL] to alchemy materials (I assume he will post more detail)

Wishlist:
1. Wagons for trade caravans
2. Remove summer from halfling active seasons (entity_halfling.txt) - my permission
(3. If someone else posts finished dirigible antilope raws or the new tarnish stalk scheme, those are on my wishlist too)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 01, 2013, 12:57:08 pm »

BTW, if HLG is already someone's epithet, what should I use? I'll just use _HugoL

EDIT: Wagons added to body_simple_halfling and creature_halfling
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:10:04 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 01, 2013, 01:52:37 pm »

Having lot's of problems with the Dirigible Antelope raws. No tissue thickness on the torso or limbs.

Kopout, I need the BLIMP_LAYERS_KPT body detail plan.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 01, 2013, 02:16:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here ya go. I thought you were removing the limbs?

Would it be alright if I included mine with limbs if you include yours without? I    could make mine Gazeplin or somthing to avoid raw duplication problems
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:18:10 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: August 01, 2013, 02:26:57 pm »

Halfling your link to 'fanart' on the front page doesn't seem properly set up. It fills a 'post reply' with the quote of the post with the image, instead of linking to the post itself.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 01, 2013, 02:36:34 pm »

Would it be alright if I included mine with limbs if you include yours without? I    could make mine Gazeplin or somthing to avoid raw duplication problems

Well, first I'm trying to get it to work. The raws I got were a bit messy, so after rearranging the body definition the only problem I have is with hooves.

Actually, anyone know why the game isn't recognizing kopout's body detail plans or tissue templates?

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 01, 2013, 02:39:58 pm »

Well, first I'm trying to get it to work. The raws I got were a bit messy, so after rearranging the body definition the only problem I have is with hooves.
sorry about the mess  :(

Actually, anyone know why the game isn't recognizing kopout's body detail plans or tissue templates?
Gremlins!

(I have no idea, this is not even the strangest problem I ran into, just one of the few I couldn't solve)
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 01, 2013, 02:44:27 pm »

Please post the complete content of raw files you're trying to use including headers. It's a little confusing otherwise at this point, you've been passing so many notes.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 01, 2013, 02:53:40 pm »

Body detail plan

Tissue template

Creature

Error Log

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 01, 2013, 03:10:39 pm »

I think I see the problem.
This should work. As I said in the coments I have no clue why it needs to be done this way but it does.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 01, 2013, 03:27:55 pm »

Your creature did not include [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HOOF_TISSUE_KPT]. I have no idea why you would need [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:HOOF:HOOF_TEMPLATE_KPT] so remove that and include the first one since you did define it.

Also, if you're going to use the latter (or the former for that matter) then I would assume that it needs to come before you declare the layers, as now it comes after and it's probably like

"This is bone, this is muscle... (not listing hoof)
...use BONE for this and use HOOF for the hooves"
"ERROR: WHAT IS HOOF" -> error to log
"Oh and for HOOF use HOOF_TEMPLATE"

That error choked StL's vespids.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 261