Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492900 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1200 on: August 01, 2013, 11:19:57 pm »

I'm going to Orientation at University for 2 days, so I might not have my contributions ready in time. I'll see if I can get the 2 antelope and 1 Cephalopod up by Sunday.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: August 01, 2013, 11:33:46 pm »

I'd like to review this project for DFBT, my podcast. Anything special I should include?
Woo! We're being mentioned in a podcast!

I really have no idea what stuff you would want to know, though.

On a modding note, I simply lack the time to do any work on my tarnish stalks.
As much as I like them, and as possessive as I am over them, I haven't wanted to have someone else do any work on them but me, but I don't really have much of a choice, so I'll explain how I was meaning to make them so that someone with more time than myself can get them to my vision of completion.

The way I want them to work is that when they are "processed" by reaction, you will get a tarnish stalk shaft, and tarnish root or 2, some tarnish fronds, and a tarnish bulb.
The shaft is the edible/brewable part, the root is the seed, obviously, the fronds are turned into the thread or tobacco, and the bulb can be pressed (like rock nuts) into oil and a press cake. The oil could be made into soap (Tarnish soap! Muahahaha! I was hoping to keep this plan a secret until I actually made this.) and the press cake could be... I don't know, used for something.

Thanks to whoever can do this for me, it pains me that I can't so it myself.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: August 01, 2013, 11:44:34 pm »

I thought you smoke the whole thing, otherwise how do you get charcoal instead of just ash?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 01, 2013, 11:52:56 pm »

I thought you smoke the whole thing, otherwise how do you get charcoal instead of just ash?
Actually, that's a good point.
Smoke the whole cigar.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 02, 2013, 12:13:04 am »

Wide range of Cephalopod passive creatures planned:

-little landbound ones that scavenge fallen fruit and carrion, found pretty much everywhere non-freezing.
-big stocky landbound ones, filling a buffalo niche, found in grass and shrubland
-big armored ones that live in temperate forests and taiga
-medium sized ones with shells that live in tropical forests
-all kinds of amphibious and aquatic ones.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 02, 2013, 12:15:23 am »

So, the better part of the wildlife will be invertebrates, and have more than four limbs. This sounds like a world I want to live in :D
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: August 02, 2013, 12:18:58 am »

So, the better part of the wildlife will be invertebrates, and have more than four limbs. This sounds like a world I want to live in :D
I think you are very strange   :P
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 02, 2013, 12:59:09 am »

Still playing in Mastertea, even though the play-session is over. Ran into a storm dragon recently, and I took some screenshots.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: August 02, 2013, 01:03:48 am »

Atta girl, big-ass tarantula! Show that spiney sucker how it's done!

Also, that is a properly impressive name for a monster.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 02, 2013, 01:35:10 am »

It bothers me that a commonly found giant spider is 10x more deadly than our Megabeast.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1210 on: August 02, 2013, 01:49:47 am »

Give the megabeast more breath attacks, thicker skin, natural skills of legendary +5 and physical stats of 50000.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: August 02, 2013, 03:20:38 am »

It bothers me that a commonly found giant spider is 10x more deadly than our Megabeast.

10x? It's not though. Put them in the arena and try it out, storm dragon wins against anything in the game that exists at this point that I cared to test and mops the floor with the average theraphosa. This is more like one of those cases where a stray cat kills x. If we take every such report as cause to give mad buffs to things we'll end up with things that are completely undefeatable in combat.

That said when they were created the world was very different. Wasn't full of giant spiders for one thing. Now when we have new megabeasts people will be like, whew, it's only a storm dragon and not a HugoBeast. But that's fine. These were intended to be the "vanilla" megabeast, like a vanilla hydra, among many more exotic ones.

Oh btw, who was it that suggested that everyone should add one "signature" megabeast during their turn? Because that was a pretty cool idea. I'm sure they could be added retroactively.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: August 02, 2013, 03:26:54 am »

Ah yes, I pledged to contribute a Megabeast. Should be able to put an interesting one together relatively quickly.

When creating creatures, we should probably use the Storm Dragon as a watermark. If it can beat the dragon in a fight relatively often, then it probably shouldn't be a roving animal (except maybe in the Caverns or an Evil Savage region)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 02, 2013, 03:35:26 am »

I'd like to review this project for DFBT, my podcast. Anything special I should include?

It started as a peaceful fantasy world with halflings and some hounds and ducks; then, successive contributions made it full of giant bees and tarantulas and otherwise 90% giant insects, with poisonous edible flora and alcohol hangovers. Definitely cover the dirigible antelope and land whales if they're done at that time. That is the story here. Then add whichever of the other things/plans you feel like is more awesome/absurd.

I personally feel though that one of the coolest things was the ability to do some things "right" silently in the background by re-making the templates, like more sensible creature organization, connecting knees, necks with major arteries, brain cases that protect the brain, pecking birds, humanoids don't latch and shake things around and their punches are more powerful while animals do and their bites are more powerful, properly named body parts and so on. At least I and StL paid a lot of attention to this (I'm not saying others didn't, just didn't study the work enough to confirm yet). My plan to add useful new colors, replacing and merging useless old ones like bright magenta, would be an extension of this I feel but didn't get that much interest (and maybe it shouldn't as it's not finished yet).

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: August 02, 2013, 04:57:58 am »

i would be up for creating a signature megabeast
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 261