Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492347 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1215 on: August 02, 2013, 06:42:38 am »

@sackhead, you're still up for bugfixing so my suggestion is

1. Implement bugfixes for bugs that have been found (I collected some for you here and asked others to post, but I don't think anyone else did)
2. Make your signature megabeast and pack it with the new raws
3. Upload this updated version - I'll link it to first post

Two birds, one stone :P

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: August 02, 2013, 08:54:20 am »

Feature suggestion: If you've looked closely then you already saw that my leather template should make leather armor a lot better than vanilla by default.

However...

How about splitting it into 3 leather types to make creature origin make more difference?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To implement:
1. Add the two extra leather types to a new material templates file
2. To any creature that should have improved leather, after adding core materials add
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:LEATHER:SPECIAL_LEATHER_TEMPLATE_HLG] ## leather is 2x more valuable than usual and as strong as bone
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:LEATHER:ELITE_LEATHER_TEMPLATE_HLG] ## leather is brightly colored, 3x more valuable than usual and as strong as meteoric iron

Edit: more semi-necessary types:

FIREIMMUNE_LEATHER_TEMPLATE_HLG : red, 2x value, does not take heat damage below 100000U, "fireproof leather"
COLDIMMUNE_LEATHER_TEMPLATE_HLG : 2x value, does not take cold damage above 0U, "warm leather"
FIXEDTEMP_LEATHER_TEMPLATE_HLG : blue, 3x value, above attributes and temperature fixed at 10001, "cold leather"
LIGHT_LEATHER_TEMPLATE_HLG : grey, 2x value, almost weightless, "arcane leather"

Edit2, one more:

SPECIALREWARD_DONTOVERUSE_LEATHER_TEMPLATE_HLG: 10x value, white, meteoric iron strength, weightless, fire-and coldimmune, fixed temp at 10030, "legendary leather"

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 02, 2013, 10:10:59 am »

I finished the podcast, you can find it here. I hope I can review this project in a lot more detail later.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 02, 2013, 11:18:59 am »

I finished the podcast, you can find it here. I hope I can review this project in a lot more detail later.

Welcome anytime.

Still playing in Mastertea, even though the play-session is over. Ran into a storm dragon recently, and I took some screenshots.

Oh, forgot... I'll add these extended installments to the first post too. If the saga of Mastertea continues, there's no reason why it should not be read. The 2 years rule was there to ensure a minimum amount of play a turn should get, not to dictate a maximum :)

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 02, 2013, 02:34:50 pm »

Just found a "perfect" embark site to make a glass castle on a glacier- a volcano, a glacier, and a non-freezing area. My starting items spontaneously combusted, and the "glacier" was only a tiny frozen area of an ocean.
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: August 02, 2013, 02:50:26 pm »

The glacier is par for the course. Starting items burstening into flame, not so much. What were they made out of and how close to the lava were you? Can you upload the save?

if you survived I hope you keep playing, this sounds like !!FUN!!
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: August 02, 2013, 04:19:09 pm »

Unfortunately, all of the halflings burned to death.
I think the first item that was on fire was a tarnish stalk cloth seed bag full of numwort or stinkweed seeds; there might have been a few other things that spontaneously combusted. There was no wildlife around, and it was on a snow-covered mountain slope. It is extremely unlikely that it was caused by the lava. Reclaiming on the location, the gear didn't combust.
Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: August 02, 2013, 04:24:35 pm »

Sounds like the alchemy materials strike again. Fix should be urgently added. StL, can you give an exact description? Which file add what where? :P

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 02, 2013, 05:03:45 pm »

"inorganic_alchemy_STL", for every raw ending in "_VOLATILE" in its tag (i.e., "PARALYSIS_VOLATILE), add [SPECIAL].

I somehow doubt this spontaneous combustion is caused by alchemy stuff now, though, as it appears I used a different method for explosive boiling in my raws - the volatile incense just boils at below absolute zero. No FIXED_MAT_TEMP monkeying performed  ??? If this fixes that, then I guess having something boil at embark just tricks the game into pyromaniac mode  :-\

Something funny appears to be going on here. A tarnish stalk cloth bag, you say, Lost in Nowhere? Mastahcheese, have you snuck in any new tarnish stalk effects that could cause this?

Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 02, 2013, 05:52:55 pm »

True, your volatile template does not cause material to ignite.

Actually it may cause stuff to freeze to death because material that vaporizes is set to boiling point temperature... so incense vapor should have a temperature approximately at 1000U, in our units, 9000 F below the freezing point of water, at -5000 C (compare to absolute zero at -273.15 C), which is somewhat cold.

However, some of your things cause creatures to be able to set things on fire. Could that be it?

Here's some fixed raws:
1. Implemented fix above, and renamed incorrectly named materials (_STABLE -> _STABLE_STL etc)

2. Took the liberty of making the boiling material have a more sensible temperature of 10100 (slightly hot rather than extremely cold)

Please implement these asap so we can know if they were the problem.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: August 02, 2013, 06:07:51 pm »

Also here's a complete file for the additional leather types that creatures can yield when butchered and tanned if that's cool with everyone:

If that goes in then I would like man-eaters to yield tier 2 "special" leather and storm dragons to yield tier 3 "elite" leather. Creature file with the added 2 lines doing so:

Spoiler: creature_halfling.txt (click to show/hide)

Tested, can just plug in. Note that you don't need to change my original leather template, this just adds the new leather options in another file.

I like the idea of killing semi/megabeasts giving you somewhat worthwhile special resources and not just meat, I like the idea of making more professions useful (leatherworking in this case), and this is a pretty simple way to do both.

Edit: and if it's not too much trouble, here's leather "armor" so halflings can actually use this meaningfully, making them able to benefit from if they can obtain very good leather...
Spoiler: item_new_halfling.txt (click to show/hide)

Halfling entity changed to use them, again copy-and-pasteable:
Spoiler: entity_halfling.txt (click to show/hide)

Yeah, this is stuff I should probably have made earlier, but can't always think of everything. I think it'll add to the game.

Finaledit: Nice.

(went and edited gloves and boots a bit more after this - halflings shouldn't wear them by default (they qualify as armor) but can commonly make gloves and uncommonly make tall boots that cover the legs for combat)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: August 02, 2013, 09:01:43 pm »

Yeah, that boiling point probably makes more sense, especially when placed in the context of normal physics. Those values should make Lord Kelvin's corpse stop weeping :) I'll incorporate them and update the alchemy raws. Thanks for saving me some work on proper labeling, too!

I seriously doubt the fireball vigor could be causing these spontaneous combustions. The potion itself is about as inert as normal alcohol; only when drunk does it become related to fireballs.

EDIT: Okay, updated alchemy raws uploaded! Download and overwrite/merge as needed.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:10:34 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 03, 2013, 12:51:23 am »

Hmm, all I really added in was wizards, a trade race, and the worst plant known to Halfling kind. What would my signature megabeast be?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: August 03, 2013, 02:16:21 am »

Here is another mini-update on the state of Mastertea.

And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 03, 2013, 02:38:35 am »

Megabeast: "Horde of gnomes"  A race of nomadic humanoids in loose pants and vests or long dresses with colorful shawls come to trade with the fort in brightly painted wagons.  The nomads appear as a multi-wagon trading caravan, path to the trading depot, just like normal, and upon arrival begin to set out their goods.  This is where the megabeast strikes: The only goods they carry are cages upon cages of speedy, tiny, feral gnomes, which set about escaping their cages immediately, stealing a non-cage item, (like a baby, a trade good or something shiney) then flee the map.  The nomads become more and more upset over their lost trade goods until one or more begin tantruming, starting fights or destroying things in the fort.  As with any other caravan, if they are attacked they'll lose their stuff too, which results in just a horde of gnomes pathing into the fort from outside, rather than from the depot. Plus some pretty angry nomads.

The "mega" part of this is that the nomads will only visit after your fortress recovers itself a little in worth, but it'll steal pretty much everything, over and over again.  Other than the gnome cages (wood), their clothing and the meat their pack-beasts might bring, they drop nothing of value.  Plus, kidnapped babies might come back all grown up as nomads themselves.  They're not dangerous, just annoying and maybe also fun.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 261