Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 490090 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1470 on: August 09, 2013, 01:59:42 pm »

Ok, so, coconut shell as a tool works but I now have  a +coconut shell+ . Yes, finly crafted shells. Oh well, maybe they didi a realy good job of making sure it came out usable.

Coconut shells as tools is going to be more than a bit of a problem as you will need custom reactions to work those, and you have to enable those for the entity in every entity for them to be able to make them if they're tools.

Try this instead:
- coconut shell is an inorganic material with usage tokens
- reaction produces a type BOULDER:NONE item made of coconut shell
this should yield a stone-like item called simply "coconut shell" that can be used in vanilla reactions according to the tokens you gave it

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: August 09, 2013, 02:15:00 pm »

Hi, I know I've been asking a lot of questions recently, but I have one more. I'm trading with the elves, buying some pumpkins and cloth etc, then I keep getting these "X cancels (drink/move object/ eat/etc), Interrupted by mutilated elf corpse". I look around and then find one outside my forts entrance, near the depot. Its head is gone and its arms are dented. I'm not sure why its dead, or why my Formics are being interrupted on their way from the embark caravan to the  fort proper.

Edit: also, treelord wrestlers are going in and out my fort for no apparent reason, despite my  depot being at the forts entrance, and even though the first corpse "died" and the formics continued walking, it came back to life and is still called "elf mutilated corpse" and is now interrupting again.

EDIT: sorry if I refered to my formics as "dwarves", force of habit,  :-[

We're not that vicious about what you call your pet ants so don't worry :D

Hm. Treelords raise elves... but actually, looking at it more closely, they ANIMATE the elves, not RESURRECT. This makes the raised elf always hostile, even if you are friendly with the other elves (found this out when making zerg queen spawn larva). So this can mean that
1. Forested caravan arrives
2. An elf dies to a water strider
3. Treelord resurrects elf
4. You now have a hostile elf zombie to deal with that a friendly treelord keeps resurrecting

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: August 09, 2013, 02:16:04 pm »

It's simple: Don't give raised elves [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE]
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: August 09, 2013, 02:25:05 pm »

Hold on!  a "+coconut shell+"?  Did you just invent a method to tell good fruit from bad?!!  Wow!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: August 09, 2013, 02:27:08 pm »

Figured I gave that to the larva? :P

His raws don't specify OPPOSED_TO_LIFE or indeed any syndrome, just animation. It works like I said - feel free to test.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: August 09, 2013, 02:31:17 pm »

Figured I gave that to the larva? :P

His raws don't specify OPPOSED_TO_LIFE or indeed any syndrome, just animation. It works like I said - feel free to test.
opposed to life is hardcoded onto things that get animated  :(

Ok, so, coconut shell as a tool works but I now have  a +coconut shell+ . Yes, finly crafted shells. Oh well, maybe they didi a realy good job of making sure it came out usable.

Coconut shells as tools is going to be more than a bit of a problem as you will need custom reactions to work those, and you have to enable those for the entity in every entity for them to be able to make them if they're tools.

Try this instead:
- coconut shell is an inorganic material with usage tokens
- reaction produces a type BOULDER:NONE item made of coconut shell
this should yield a stone-like item called simply "coconut shell" that can be used in vanilla reactions according to the tokens you gave it
dosn't work. just because the material is [SHELL] dosn't meen tha item is. It has to be a corps part to work in the vanela crafing reactions and you can produce corps parts in a reaction ( thats what caused the crash) Alternativly I could just have coconut shells be useles refuse, but they are so useful IRL that that feels wrong. If I do that I might as well get rid of coconuts.

Hold on!  a "+coconut shell+"?  Did you just invent a method to tell good fruit from bad?!!  Wow!
sort of
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:35:42 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: August 09, 2013, 02:36:24 pm »

dosn't work. just because the material is [SHELL] dosn't meen tha item is. It has to be a corps part to work in the vanela crafing reactions and you can produce corps parts in a reaction ( thats what caused the crash)

Well obviously. But since you can make coconut shell crafts anyway if you make it a boulder, I thought it would be sufficient...
But sure you can produce corpse parts in a reaction. You just need to make the coconut processing produce a gas that transforms the creature doing the processing into a "creature working on a coconut" which has a coconut shell shell that comes off immediately, and then transforms back. That way you get a coconut shell that's an actual shell body part.

Lord Titpants, coconut processor, has transformed into a creature carving a coconut shell!

Thinking about it a bit more, using reality-bending body transformation syndromes and a separate creature that only exists as a transformation like that just to process a fruit may be slightly frivolous though.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: August 09, 2013, 02:44:05 pm »

Thinking about it a bit more, using reality-bending body transformation syndromes and a separate creature that only exists as a transformation like that just to process a fruit may be slightly frivolous though.
My philosophy is that if the workaround isn't completly unhinged and questonably nessicary you arn't doing it right  :P
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: August 09, 2013, 02:49:16 pm »

Yes and for extra coolness you could make the coconut processor creature bleed coconut milk, so that when it finally drops the coconut shell it sprays coconut milk all over the place too, before transforming back into whatever it was before.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: August 09, 2013, 02:53:08 pm »

You guys will be having fun when the next update shows, what with fruit and all.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: August 09, 2013, 03:12:48 pm »

Will be interesting to see how migrating goes if this is still active at the time.

Anyone interested in giving our newest version (Hugo's) a play turn, by the way?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: August 09, 2013, 05:17:26 pm »

Regarding Iridium--if we're going to be adding steel then I can definitely make some changes to the material. It's already practically nonexistent unless you order some from the halfling caravans, which I might disable, because it allows you to just completely circumvent the convoluted crafting process. Apparently, since the hairy little bastards have access to the reaction, it gives them access to the metal by default, despite the fact that they've probably never so much as seen oxyline, let alone native iridium. Since they don't produce work metal naturally, it doesn't make sense for them to be hoarding perhaps the rarest metal in the world.

As far as why it's the better-than-steel equivalent, I'll admit I took a little creative liberty, but aside from the MAX_EDGE I wouldn't expect it to be -that- weird. Iridium is the second-densest element and second-most resistant to elastic strain, and is very hard. I intended for it to be excellent in armor and blunt weapons... perhaps I should nerf its effectiveness in blades, sort of like an anti-Adamantine--bluemetal gives you whiffle bats while Iridium gives you butterknives. Perhaps I should demand that bars of Iridium be alloyed with some other metal in a very low quantity (say, 10-20% alloy composition) before being worked? I'll admit that Iridium was kind of a bust due to being far more difficult to actually get than I had anticipated.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: August 09, 2013, 05:59:12 pm »

What do you think of the idea of doing an actual succession fort with this mod once we get this to a stable/finished(esque) state?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: August 09, 2013, 07:42:32 pm »

Small question. Are golden mamaphints supposed to be able to learn skills? because I my first formic migrant wave came with a "Goldan Mamaphint Strand Extractor". Also, will he actually be able to extract strands? Or is he like those tiger people you can buy in vanilla, who can have medical skills but don't use them?

they are supposed to have [CAN_LEARN] as in real life Elephants are very smart and can be trained to do crazy things , also their trunk is a grasper so they can wrestle weapons away and level up in them it was meant as an Easter egg when you find one of you Mamaphant's has stolen an invaders sword and levels up in it. On the Strand extraction it would be nice if it could but i doubt it.
I believe the only labors pets can do is fishing and hunting.
too bad there is no way to train them

He told me via PM that the "-phint" is intentional, sort of like the "-phont" in "oliphont," but I'm not sure about the Goldan. And, given the spelling mistakes in the description...

Probably best to ask first, though.
the Goldan is miss spelling my raws are shocking like that, i probably should type out descriptions on word so i have spell check

is it a mammoth+plant?

that would be mamaplant, not a bad idea actually
Small question. Are golden mamaphints supposed to be able to learn skills? because I my first formic migrant wave came with a "Goldan Mamaphint Strand Extractor". Also, will he actually be able to extract strands? Or is he like those tiger people you can buy in vanilla, who can have medical skills but don't use them?

Uh, first of all congrats on finding a bizarre animal by even this world's standards. Let's hope he's useful... but really, he's not going to be. Exactly like the tigermen. Not that you probably have many strands to extract anyway.

Sackhead -- is it intentional that mamaphints are both CAN_LEARN and trainable? Because you don't need the first for the latter and the first actually gives them civilian professions... and it's rather conspicuously in a sea of whitespace in the middle of the creature so I'm not sure.

Also the name thing. You don't mind spelling corrections, right? They're no disrespect. So it currently reads
goldan mamaphint:goldan mamaphint:goldan mamaphint, so even the plural of those is mamaphint

Goldan should be golden, right? If it refers to the color of the creature. Mamaphint... now it can be called mamaphint all it wants, but did you mean "mamaphant" (mama + elephant) or maybe "mammophant" (mammoth + elephant)? And should the plural be mamaphint or mamaphints?

I'm adding your newest update to the front page btw, forgot earlier.

it should be mamaphints

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: August 09, 2013, 07:45:02 pm »

Will be interesting to see how migrating goes if this is still active at the time.

Anyone interested in giving our newest version (Hugo's) a play turn, by the way?
sorry for the double post.
firstly i would like to sign up for a play turn.
and now i am signed up i can give hugo's a play turn 
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 261