Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485792 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1485 on: August 09, 2013, 08:43:40 pm »

Aeresium is invaluable for dealing with one creature I made...

Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:AERESIUM_LKR:1000000000:1]
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: August 09, 2013, 09:44:41 pm »

That's a really bad idea. Aeresium is not supposed to be weapons-grade. Would you make a creature that has a material weakness to lay pewter, for instance?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: August 09, 2013, 10:09:20 pm »

That's a really bad idea. Aeresium is not supposed to be weapons-grade. Would you make a creature that has a material weakness to lay pewter, for instance?

Why do you think I made it that large?  And through custom reactions and a custom workshop, lizardkin can make weapons from it.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: August 09, 2013, 11:34:49 pm »

i want to see that hit by a bilisata bolt of Aersium

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 10, 2013, 01:37:48 am »

Why do you think I made it that large?  And through custom reactions and a custom workshop, lizardkin can make weapons from it.

The point is that you're not supposed to be able to make weapons out of it in the first place! It's not hard to define your own metal, give it an ore, and use that instead of modifying-but-not-really something that someone else did and perverting it for your own purposes. It's also much less unethical.
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: August 10, 2013, 02:31:54 am »

The point is that you're not supposed to be able to make weapons out of it in the first place! It's not hard to define your own metal, give it an ore, and use that instead of modifying-but-not-really something that someone else did and perverting it for your own purposes. It's also much less unethical.
it does reduce the amount of pointless bloat metals and it is nice for Aeresium to have a purpose beyond a building material

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 10, 2013, 05:34:52 am »

What do you think of the idea of doing an actual succession fort with this mod once we get this to a stable/finished(esque) state?

As soon as it's ready for it, anytime. That would be very nice. And if that's your plan I'm sure none of us would object if it started whenever. At this time I don't know if there's enough content yet to keep it entertaining. But it would obviously be the best, most thorough playtesting we could have and many upgrades can be applied on the fly (balances and bugfixes, but no new content), so it doesn't have to be exactly finished yet.

firstly i would like to sign up for a play turn.
and now i am signed up i can give hugo's a play turn 

Go right ahead!

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: August 10, 2013, 05:44:11 am »

Small question. Are golden mamaphints supposed to be able to learn skills? because I my first formic migrant wave came with a "Goldan Mamaphint Strand Extractor". Also, will he actually be able to extract strands? Or is he like those tiger people you can buy in vanilla, who can have medical skills but don't use them?

they are supposed to have [CAN_LEARN] as in real life Elephants are very smart and can be trained to do crazy things , also their trunk is a grasper so they can wrestle weapons away and level up in them it was meant as an Easter egg when you find one of you Mamaphant's has stolen an invaders sword and levels up in it. On the Strand extraction it would be nice if it could but i doubt it.
I believe the only labors pets can do is fishing and hunting.
too bad there is no way to train them

it should be mamaphints

Then I suggest the following fixes to mamaphints:

1. Name line and caste name line should read
golden mamaphint:golden mamaphints:golden mamaphint
2. Set natural skill: strand extraction to e.g. 10. (they will always be listed as strand extractors by civilian profession, note that they still don't do the job) This is for step 3
3. Set custom profession title: strand extractor: beast

So what this accomplishes is: mamaphints can gain skills, but they are always listed as "mamaphint beast", not e.g. "mamaphint woodcutter" or "mamaphint animal trainer", which is confusing because they can't do those jobs. Also it makes it more of an easter egg when they learn wrestling.

[NATURAL_SKILL:EXTRACT_STRAND:10] # grand master strand extractor, which overrides their other skill titles but not the skills
        [PROFESSION_NAME:STRAND_EXTRACTOR:beast:beasts] # with the above, they are now always called beasts and not by identifiable civilian profession

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: August 10, 2013, 12:19:24 pm »

it does reduce the amount of pointless bloat metals and it is nice for Aeresium to have a purpose beyond a building material
It's good to have things that are just flavour though. Maybe have the monster killing mettle made from Aeresium and something else as an alloy?

Would you make a creature that has a material weakness to lay pewter, for instance?
I would. and then make something like lay pewter brass knuckles so you have to punch the monster to death.

( woot page 100)
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: August 10, 2013, 12:44:16 pm »

Well, I finally attempted to make a world with this. It was fine untill it ended, whereapon it crashed.

We really need all the files as zips...

or atleast laularukyrumo's modding turn as one.
you know what, just ingnore me. I can just use the latest one for everything.

and I find "the lords of idiot." you guys sure find some interesting things for this to turn up.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:54:45 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

The Urist

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in slaughter lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: August 10, 2013, 02:31:17 pm »

Bug or Intended?: formics cant build nest boxes(but can embark with mallards?)[note that i'm not uring the Sackhead's version because of the infernal RAR]

Edit:On my modding turn I'm going to add animal-loving, robe- and slipper-wearing, peaceful, sissy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(done already - I may make a small popratio caste that doesnt vary from other orcs  except these drop orc's[or troll's since orcs include a troll caste{trolls are pretty good poets}]hearts that can be used for alchemy),hydromancers (maybe; i have done these already but they wont appear in worldgen or build towers [no errorlog]- and yes they can animate corpses and transform them into water elementals so that cant be the reason for them not to), sand golems to wander the deserts and drop precious sand when killed(done already;they are not aggressive unless pursued plus they are tameable and thus weaponizable)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 04:02:12 pm by The Urist »
''He was 'twitching' because he's got MY AXE EMBEDDED IN HIS NERVOUS SYSTEM!''~Gimli

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 10, 2013, 05:54:35 pm »

We really need all the files as zips...

or atleast laularukyrumo's modding turn as one.

I resent that! I uploaded mine as a .zip. DFFD confirms it.

Worldgen crashing is generally a bad sign though. There have been so many updates by now that I think we need to rectify this. I haven't changed my files much (except for a couple of extremely minor edits that I plan on integrating with my eventual second modding turn in the distant future), but anybody that has updates to make should probably, IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OF TURNS, apply all fixes to their own files and then merge.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: August 10, 2013, 06:37:29 pm »

The link for it is a RAR.

you guys also need more brewables. I think all there is now is tarnish root and honey.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:41:30 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 10, 2013, 07:26:39 pm »

Bug or Intended?: formics cant build nest boxes(but can embark with mallards?)[note that i'm not uring the Sackhead's version because of the infernal RAR]

Do we still have nest boxes? If we do, I may not have added the tool entry for their entity raw, but rock pots were stripped out, so hey - why not nest boxes too?
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: August 10, 2013, 07:31:45 pm »

You have boxes.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 261