Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 491664 times)

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1665 on: August 25, 2013, 09:53:11 pm »

Here are the raws for the Daemonic Cherubim, and all other related raws:

-snip-
IMPORTANT:

• To force compatibility with both vanilla DF and other players' contributions, so that raws never clash, and novelty so that copypasting simply does not work, you must add _XYZ to the end of every object that you newly add/define, where XYZ is an at least 3 letter handle that you chose. Mine was HLG, so that I would add a "BODY:REALLY_SIMPLE_BODY_HLG" instead of "BODY:REALLY_SIMPLE_BODY". The exception to this is language words. Not doing this will eventually destroy everything. Referring to other players raws of course does not need this, if XYZ came before me I could use BODY_XYZ in my creature, but if I make a new body... as above.
  • Similarly name your files by turn, eg. "creature_domestic_halfling", so we can keep track of things.
You probably should add the _XYZ before uploading.
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: August 26, 2013, 12:16:04 am »

I, for one, love the idea of having C_Variations all up in the everywhere. I'm working on c_variation_infect, which causes the affected creature to have attacks that cause the victims to become permanently weaker, and causes them to instantly die if too many of the debuffs stack on them.

I'm not getting it to work though, because apparently, if you attempt to apply two different syndromes with CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE tags, the second one just doesn't do anything. It doesn't even overwrite the first one. Which is bollocks, because not only does it make vamps and maybe paladins immune to infect damage, but since there's no way to delete a syndrome from a creature, not even transformation, it doesn't appear to be possible to implement the way I intended, with progressive decreases to physical stats.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: August 26, 2013, 02:32:11 pm »

END timers should work.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: August 26, 2013, 02:38:58 pm »

Is it really not possible to have more than 1 syndrome affecting stats?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: August 26, 2013, 02:57:19 pm »

There's different claims. Even I'm not sure and I've used syndromes a ton. Research is needed...

I, for one, love the idea of having C_Variations all up in the everywhere. I'm working on c_variation_infect, which causes the affected creature to have attacks that cause the victims to become permanently weaker, and causes them to instantly die if too many of the debuffs stack on them.

I'm not getting it to work though, because apparently, if you attempt to apply two different syndromes with CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE tags, the second one just doesn't do anything. It doesn't even overwrite the first one. Which is bollocks, because not only does it make vamps and maybe paladins immune to infect damage, but since there's no way to delete a syndrome from a creature, not even transformation, it doesn't appear to be possible to implement the way I intended, with progressive decreases to physical stats.

Anything is possible with interactions and syndromes if you use your imagination. Like, really, I'm not even kidding. They probably make a Turing complete language and you could build a dwarven syndrome computer.

For example to make a syndrome that you can also make end when you like:

Syndrome 1: Can do interaction 1, duration t+100; Target cannot have syndrome class: SYN_CLASS; Self only, free action
Interaction 1: Target cannot have syndrome class STOP_SYN_CLASS; Add syndrome [syndrome content] to target, duration t, syndrome class is SYN_CLASS; Add copy of syndrome 1 to target;

Simple loop. Now the creature will
1) Suffer from the syndrome for t phases, and be able to restart the syndrome for t+100 phases
2) During the 100 phases when the creature does not suffer from the syndrome but can restart it, go to 1, except
3) If it at that time is also infected with a syndrome of class STOP_SYN_CLASS, instead let the syndrome expire

That would work for your system. For example. Then you make various severities of the syndrome - they only need the one loop, you can have multiple syndrome "branches" and define conditions for when each one is applied.

In case that doesn't work and the timer doesn't get extended correctly (it's been a while), then:

Syndrome 0: Can do interaction 0, start:t+101, duration 100; Self only, free action
Interaction 0: [Add syndrome 1 to self]
Syndrome 1: Can do interaction 1, duration t+100; Target cannot have syndrome class: SYN_CLASS; Self only, free action
Interaction 1: Target cannot have syndrome class STOP_SYN_CLASS; Add syndrome [syndrome content] to target, duration t, syndrome class is SYN_CLASS; Add copy of syndrome 0 to target;

is sure to work, adding a step where you wait for the content and loop syndromes to clear before restarting the loop. It's obviously not optimized at all and a mess, but you get the idea.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: August 26, 2013, 03:50:41 pm »

Speaking of, here's an example of how you might use syndromes to store and operate on information. I think? "How many more units of dwarven wine were drunk during the last x phases than units of dwarven ale? Calculate and print result."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Requires that one dwarf is transformed into an INTEGER_CREATURE affected by the INTEGER syndromes. Increments and decrements the integer when things happen on the map for x phases, then prints it by near-instantly killing as many random creatures on the map as the integer is at that point.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: August 26, 2013, 05:12:43 pm »

The principle sounds useful, though that specific example is weird.

Zorg Master Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: August 26, 2013, 05:34:58 pm »

Hey guys! May I do a play turn? I've been playing a little bit of this in the older versions and thought it might be cool to do a play turn.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: August 27, 2013, 12:24:47 am »

Hey guys! May I do a play turn? I've been playing a little bit of this in the older versions and thought it might be cool to do a play turn.

Please do, we need one

The principle sounds useful, though that specific example is weird.

Not at all, the idea is that you can use it to read, increment and decrement an integer value, so it's possible to discriminate which state and which square of memory you are in by syndromes alone (compare to the classic tape, state, table, r/w Turing machine, however, with limited pre-initialized memory as is often the case). When you can further use this value to point to itself or other values (INTEGER_N: CDI: TARGET_DWARF_N) and perform operations on them it is clear that syndromes in fact form a programmable computer.

I will not be spending hours actually proving this as there is a line, though.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: August 27, 2013, 03:04:39 am »

I didn't dispute your claim, I just said your example was weird.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: August 27, 2013, 08:43:58 am »

True. It was lazy. You could do a prime test where you feed creatures a number of mushrooms to initialize the syndrome-interaction computing, and in the end the computer creature vomits if the number of mushrooms eaten is prime and sweats blood if it's not. It's doable if those above registers work, (and if they don't due to the syndrome stacking, you just have to create a copy of them and make them alternate between themselves and the copy) and you add a syndrome to represent zero, with the algorithm

but if I ever am bored enough to do that, I'll make it its own thread. It doesn't look like I have a chance to be that bored in a long while though.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 27, 2013, 09:15:49 am »

If you're playing Halflings, build a wall around your town. It helps immensely.
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

Kazimuth

• Bay Watcher
  • [ARTIFICIAL_HIVEABLE]
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #1677 on: August 27, 2013, 09:52:23 am »

I'd also be interested in a play turn; I've been playing with the most recent raws from Zanzetkuken's turn, and I realized I might as well contribute  :)

Some random quibbles:
Formics are extremely weak to eye hits; eye attacks pretty much always open major arteries, and then they bleed out pretty quickly.

There does not appear to be any way to manufacture quivers. You can spawn with them in adventure mode (silk quiver) but aside from that they are nonexistent. I think this may be interfering with hunting; my halfling hunters generally refuse to hunt, even if there are animals, bows, and arrows available (and they don't appear to use rocks to hunt).

On embark, if you pick 'prepare for the journey carefully', you start out with no points available, as they are all invested in a 400-coin iridium anvil. You can get rid of it, but it's still initially disconcerting. Also, some odd items show up for purchase: 'nothing leather' and 'tarnish stalk cloth cloth', if I remember correctly.

I'm also getting 'unrecognized inorganic token' spam in the errorlog:
And I've just started getting these errors:

This universe is coming along great though. Pitting dragons against swarms of dirigible antelopes in the arena is hilarious :D
I'm not sure this was a good idea

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: August 27, 2013, 12:07:48 pm »

This universe is coming along great though. Pitting dragons against swarms of dirigible antelopes in the arena is hilarious :D

I'm curious as to the results.

Lizardfolk Play Guide (Not Finished!)

-Get rid of the anvil.  The Lizardfolk have their own custom type of forge that does not need the anvil.

-Smithing is entirely tied to the 'Woodburner' profession.  This is necessary in order to have a limit to the number of metals that they have the ability to utilize.

-Don't bother with getting plants, the Lizardfolk race is entirely carnivorous.  Instead, get a decent amount of tamed animals.  Preferably not dragons, they won't eat anything that has scales.

-All of the other races are hostile, due to the child snatching tag on the Lizardfolk.  In universe, this was intended to represent the fact that  other races use the Lizardfolk as warriors, and the Dragonkin take Lizardfolk to use their magic upon the Lizardfolk to turn them into more Dragonkin.

-Lizardfolk nobility is an evolving system.  If you are less than a certain population, then they are named one way, but after that population is reached, then they gain new names.

-Lizardfolk do not build up walls.  The most that they build in terms of defenses is the occasional barricade in the marshes.  (Note: they are an aboveground race.)

-A word to authors: Lizardfolk do not believe in the concept of good and evil.  The closest they come is the concepts of chaos and order.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 27, 2013, 01:04:58 pm »

-Don't bother with getting plants, the Lizardfolk race is entirely carnivorous.  Instead, get a decent amount of tamed animals.  Preferably not dragons, they won't eat anything that has scales.

-All of the other races are hostile, due to the child snatching tag on the Lizardfolk.  In universe, this was intended to represent the fact that  other races use the Lizardfolk as warriors, and the Dragonkin take Lizardfolk to use their magic upon the Lizardfolk to turn them into more Dragonkin.

-Lizardfolk do not build up walls.  The most that they build in terms of defenses is the occasional barricade in the marshes.  (Note: they are an aboveground race.)

This should give fortress defense an interesting twist, at least for people like me who are used to digging into hills  :). Are the lizardfolk stronger than other races, to compensate for the (as I see it) openness and vulnerability that comes with being enemies with everyone and unable to build or dig enclosures? Still, I really wish I had the time and patience to learn how to mod so that I could work on this too.

On a side note, how many playable races do we have thus far, and where do they live? Just curious to see where they overlap map-wise.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 261