Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485784 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1680 on: August 27, 2013, 02:27:07 pm »

Are the lizardfolk stronger than other races, to compensate for the (as I see it) openness and vulnerability that comes with being enemies with everyone and unable to build or dig enclosures?

Lizardfolk are a bit faster than other races, with a speed of 900. I believe they also mature younger, but I know they grow larger than most other races, reaching 70000 at age 10 and 95000 at age 30.

On a side note, how many playable races do we have thus far, and where do they live? Just curious to see where they overlap map-wise.

We have halflings, who build towns on any land, Formics, who create mountain-homes in any desert or tropical regions, and lizardfolk, who live in forest retreats in any wetlands and tropical forests.

Non-playable races include elves, who live in forest retreats in any forest and in rivers and lakes, and spider centaurs, which live in dark fortresses in any wetland, tropical forest, and tundras.

Also, while playing I found a lizardfolk that apparently likes to consume statues and n/a? I'm assuming these are related to some custom creatures, since I doubt that this strange young man consumes rocks and non-existent matter.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: August 27, 2013, 02:29:28 pm »

900 is the default speed for all creatures, BTW
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: August 27, 2013, 02:38:08 pm »

900 is the default speed for all creatures, BTW
I thought it was 2000 or something? Dont quote me on that though. Can you share the wiki page? I'm on a phone so it's a pain to go looking. Is it the creatire tokens page?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: August 27, 2013, 02:44:37 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Speed

Huh, so it is. I thought it was 1000.

The lizardfolk have [SPEED:900] in their raws though...

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: August 27, 2013, 02:51:37 pm »

while playing I found a lizardfolk that apparently likes to consume statues and n/a?

If anyone knows how to make the Statue creature not edible, feel free to modify that in. I lack the time, though I'm pretty sure it's just an easy material body detail plan swap.

Also, the Formics are weak to eye hits because eye tissue apparently bleeds a lot. Stab the eye of anything, pretty much, and it will bleed out before it can blink its shredded eyelids.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: August 27, 2013, 03:07:36 pm »

I changed Halfling's eye template during my turn to fix that (there are no major arteries in the eye!), but I guess the insect one was copied from his and I forgot to change that one.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: August 27, 2013, 03:52:55 pm »

1. Reemer, how's it? Able to upload soon?

while playing I found a lizardfolk that apparently likes to consume statues and n/a?

If anyone knows how to make the Statue creature not edible, feel free to modify that in. I lack the time, though I'm pretty sure it's just an easy material body detail plan swap.

Make it drop an item corpse?

I changed Halfling's eye template during my turn to fix that (there are no major arteries in the eye!), but I guess the insect one was copied from his and I forgot to change that one.

Sure there are major arteries, the retina needs a lot of blood and the ophthalmic artery is extremely voluminous in relation to body part size. It's close (2/3?) to the diameter of the radial and ulnar arteries despite how much smaller your eye is than your hand. So major arteries in the eye is correct, but not major arteries in "eye tissue", but that's what we have... However, I didn't take into account that the game does not scale bleeding by body part size. It shouldn't have you bleed to death immediately and so your fixed material is better.

Also, while playing I found a lizardfolk that apparently likes to consume statues and n/a? I'm assuming these are related to some custom creatures, since I doubt that this strange young man consumes rocks and non-existent matter.

This n/a thing needs to be fixed. Something now contains a material that's defined improperly. It's new. This may also affect the creature since part of it is made of n/a.

I'd also be interested in a play turn; I've been playing with the most recent raws from Zanzetkuken's turn, and I realized I might as well contribute  :)
--
There does not appear to be any way to manufacture quivers. You can spawn with them in adventure mode (silk quiver) but aside from that they are nonexistent.
--
I'm also getting 'unrecognized inorganic token' spam in the errorlog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And I've just started getting these errors:

To do a playing turn, just drop a story with pics and I'll add it as one :)
Quivers are very possible. You must make quivers out of leather.
The path fail errors are not related to our modding according to Putnam. "Cloth cloth" is intentional. Nothing is another improperly defined creature, this one lacks a name.

The unrecognized inorganic token part, however... that needs to die. Something is obviously referencing materials in a way that's copied from vanilla.

A quick search of the text files in Zanzetkuken's turn shows that there are no instances of GYPSUM or COAL_BITUMINOUS included. So what the hell is causing this?

Kazimuth, please describe exactly what files you have and/or upload if possible.

The rampant corruption in the world is not happy news at all, because things used to work more correctly. If it's like this after a few turns and this becomes a trend, then it will be worse later and at that time it's easier to just let it die than to fix it, when it's not just a few things that are broken. Can't depend on me to find and fix it either because, I'm really genuinely too busy with studies with a full working week on top of regular university study... can mostly do thread maintenance and I'll hand it over too if someone wants it.

We don't have anyone obligated to bugfix at this time, of course, since ZTG's bugfixing turn ended earlier. Not good.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: August 27, 2013, 04:00:28 pm »

To stop people having material preferences for your syndrome creatures, give them [FANCIFUL]. However, this will result in people making engravings of them sometimes.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: August 27, 2013, 04:55:07 pm »

There's different claims. Even I'm not sure and I've used syndromes a ton. Research is needed...

I, for one, love the idea of having C_Variations all up in the everywhere. I'm working on c_variation_infect, which causes the affected creature to have attacks that cause the victims to become permanently weaker, and causes them to instantly die if too many of the debuffs stack on them.

I'm not getting it to work though, because apparently, if you attempt to apply two different syndromes with CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE tags, the second one just doesn't do anything. It doesn't even overwrite the first one. Which is bollocks, because not only does it make vamps and maybe paladins immune to infect damage, but since there's no way to delete a syndrome from a creature, not even transformation, it doesn't appear to be possible to implement the way I intended, with progressive decreases to physical stats.

Anything is possible with interactions and syndromes if you use your imagination. Like, really, I'm not even kidding. They probably make a Turing complete language and you could build a dwarven syndrome computer.

For example to make a syndrome that you can also make end when you like:

Syndrome 1: Can do interaction 1, duration t+100; Target cannot have syndrome class: SYN_CLASS; Self only, free action
Interaction 1: Target cannot have syndrome class STOP_SYN_CLASS; Add syndrome [syndrome content] to target, duration t, syndrome class is SYN_CLASS; Add copy of syndrome 1 to target;

Simple loop. Now the creature will
1) Suffer from the syndrome for t phases, and be able to restart the syndrome for t+100 phases
2) During the 100 phases when the creature does not suffer from the syndrome but can restart it, go to 1, except
3) If it at that time is also infected with a syndrome of class STOP_SYN_CLASS, instead let the syndrome expire

That would work for your system. For example. Then you make various severities of the syndrome - they only need the one loop, you can have multiple syndrome "branches" and define conditions for when each one is applied.

In case that doesn't work and the timer doesn't get extended correctly (it's been a while), then:

Syndrome 0: Can do interaction 0, start:t+101, duration 100; Self only, free action
Interaction 0: [Add syndrome 1 to self]
Syndrome 1: Can do interaction 1, duration t+100; Target cannot have syndrome class: SYN_CLASS; Self only, free action
Interaction 1: Target cannot have syndrome class STOP_SYN_CLASS; Add syndrome [syndrome content] to target, duration t, syndrome class is SYN_CLASS; Add copy of syndrome 0 to target;

is sure to work, adding a step where you wait for the content and loop syndromes to clear before restarting the loop. It's obviously not optimized at all and a mess, but you get the idea.

Holy shit. Tiiiiime to lock myself in a bunker and study this arcane tome to unlock its secrets of comprehension!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Zorg Master Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: August 27, 2013, 07:36:29 pm »

So here is my attempt at playing with the lizardfolk in the latest version:
(There was a small problem with the images so they are enormous)

Problems I noticed with this race:
- They didn't have clothing other than boots and would complain about no clothing
- They couldn't seem to make mechanisms but requested a well
- They had no metalworking skills and their forge didn't even seem to work

I think that I will make a new attempt at playing this but with halflings or formics.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: August 27, 2013, 07:43:43 pm »

We don't have anyone obligated to bugfix at this time, of course, since ZTG's bugfixing turn ended earlier. Not good.

I will still bugfix.  I just don't have the time to search for the things myself.  School and a club I am in take up a fair portion of my day.

- They didn't have clothing other than boots and would complain about no clothing

I think that I will make a new attempt at playing this but with halflings or formics.

-This is what I am talking about.  I would have found this, if I had the time.
-Going to need to build a workaround.
-The forge uses the Woodburner skill.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: August 27, 2013, 07:56:06 pm »

I myself tried using the wood burning skill in an attempt at lizardfolk, but it wouldn't even let me order the job. It said that I needed the ore and fuel, but I had both of those things. Maybe I am just doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:59:08 pm by Gnorm »
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: August 27, 2013, 08:07:01 pm »

I myself tried using the wood burning skill in an attempt at lizardfolk, but it wouldn't even let me order the job. It said that I needed the ore and fuel, but I had both of those things. Maybe I am just doing something wrong?

Which ore was it?  They can only work meteoric iron, aeresium, and lunanium ores, and each one has their own individual job.

Edit: Clothing/Mechanisms bugfix up.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:18:08 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: August 27, 2013, 08:17:51 pm »

I will still bugfix.  I just don't have the time to search for the things myself.  School and a club I am in take up a fair portion of my day.

I've found why they don't wear clothes, at least. They don't have the leather making reaction, and since they don't use plants they can't make fiber cloth. That also means they can't brew drinks, but since they don't need alcohol that isn't as much of an issue.

I tried using the wood burning skill in a different attempt at lizardfolk, but it wouldn't even let me order the job. It said I needed the ore and fuel but I had both of those things. Maybe I am just doing something wrong?

Shouldn't [REAGENT:A:1:METAL_ORE:METEORIC_IRON_HLG] in the smelting reaction be [REAGENT:A:1:METAL_ORE:METEORIC_IRON_STONE_1_HLG] or [REAGENT:A:1:METAL_ORE:METEORIC_IRON_STONE_2_HLG], since taenite and kamacite are the ores for meteor iron?

Aeresium and lunanium appear to be fine.

Also, [FUEL] appears multiple times in some reactions, which doesn't work, unfortunately. You could just add coal as another reagent.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: August 27, 2013, 08:19:27 pm »

METAL_ORE:METEORIC_IRON_HLG refers to both.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 261