Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492408 times)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1860 on: September 07, 2013, 08:47:12 pm »

Well, Cuttlers seemed interesting, so here's a fanart of two cuttlers squabbling over a dead water grub in a forest:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The one standing protectively over the dead grub is raising its front tentacles in a threat display to warn the foreign cuttler off. Stalk-eyes were a bit of creative license on my part, as when I hear "small land squid" I immediately think "squibbon" from the cartoon The Future is Wild. The weird spherical plant in the back behind the foreign cuttler is actually a pumpkin. I'm fairly certain pumpkin stalks do not normally look like that, but plugging that into Google Images was too much effort, so yeah :P
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: September 07, 2013, 09:14:26 pm »

Have all of the categories worked out.  Arrangement is by turn, with a information section for the guides and other things.  Feel free to contribute.

Edit: Just checked.  You don't need to make an account to create pages.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:19:06 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: September 07, 2013, 09:27:51 pm »

I guess I sparked a minor wiki war accidentally.

While that's a good start, and no reason not to refine it, I'd like to have a look at Gnorm's wiki too that he's been working on, and then I think we should decide rationally which wiki to concentrate on, since both are now functional. Having two will not work.

Unfortunately it'll probably not be here this instant as Wikia admins probably don't do personal requests on weekends. Edit: or who knows. Wikia's actually a pretty big thing apparently. Maybe they do have round the clock "customer service". My money's still on "not".

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: September 07, 2013, 09:38:46 pm »

I guess I sparked a minor wiki war accidentally.

The creation of mine was an accident of not noticing Gnorm was creating one.  I only saw the idea, not the post that said he was creating one.  When I saw he was (a couple minutes after I made the wiki), I couldn't find anyway to take it down, so I just deleted everything.  The comment about the war made me restore it.

Oh, I edited the navigation.  The guides category, when pointed to, opens up a list of playable races.  Point towards the names of anyone whom has made a turn, 'creatures', 'plants', and 'rocks and minerals' appears.  If someone didn't have something of those, there could simply be '[Name] did not add any [subcategory] on their modding turn' or something.

Edit: Copy and pasted the guides as they currently are.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:50:41 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: September 07, 2013, 09:57:25 pm »

I decided that, for the sake of formality, I will make a guide for my creatures. Without further ado:

The Daemonic Cherubim Player's Guide

I. Introduction

The daemonic cherubim are indeed an interesting race. Sent by Armok himself to collect live offerings, they build large cathedrals into the mountains in which they worship. You, as a player, will not be erecting one of these structures, however; instead, you will take the role of an individual cherub, tasked with spilling as much blood as thy scimitar can spill. Adventurer mode as these beings is a game of fun, a game of adventure. A game of rats and lice and the Black Death. A game of speared eyeballs and dripping guts and the smell of rotting gardenias. This guide is designed to help you brave this queer and treacherous world.

II. Beginning

The daemonic cherubim rarely abandon their allegiance to Armok, thus there are no outsiders to play as. There should only ever be one complete, unified entity to which they belong, so you won't be forced to make a choice. For weapon skills, you will be able to make the choice of a swordsman, who wields a scimitar, a spearman, who wields a trident, or a bowman, who wields a longbow. Choosing none of these automatically makes you a recruit with a trident.

It should be noted that the "knapper" skill is currently completely useless, and should be ignored entirely.

III. Beginning the Adventure

You will start your adventure in a halfling settlement, usually a small hamlet. You will immediately be told that you should ask these "friends" for advice. Do not listen to it! The halflings, as with all other creatures, have a deep-seated hatred for you and your brethren. Even entering on of these homes will likely get you stoned to death immediately. Instead, you should fly away immediately! Halflings, as a whole, should be approached with extreme caution at all points of your adventure, due to their numbers and their throwing rocks.

Interestingly, it appears as if you won't be declared an enemy of the state until either you or your foe make a true attack. This means that their livestock that will chase you across their fields on sight will not stop you from settling down until you attack them.

After you flee the town and make your way into the wilderness, you will probably take note of the following:
- You are clothed in a cloth tunic, skirt, thong, and boots.
- You have neither backpack nor waterskin; pay no mind to this, as all daemonic cherubim are eternally sustained by Armok. You'll never have to eat, sleep, or drink.
- You can fly with '<' and descend with '>.'

You will now find yourself without a definite goal; for this reason, I shall supply you with one. You should open up your map screen and locate the nearest fortress; this shall be your first target. Fortresses contain many things that a daemonic cherub would enjoy, such as guards and nobles to kill for reputation and experience, and equipment to aid in your quest.

Travelling to this site can be a quest in its own right, depending on the distance you must travel. In order for you to prepare for your siege, I would suggest that you avoid fast-travelling, and instead spend your entire time sneaking and killing the local wildlife. Do note that the arrows you will find in civilized areas will not fit the daemonic cherubim longbows. For this reason, the "archery" skill should be trained, primarily, by throwing rocks.

IV. The Siege

If you have, by this point, managed to kill or evade the wildlife and have made it to a fortress, it is time to begin your attack. It is most likely that the fortress is that of a formic civilization, as those made by the lizardfolk are less common. Thus, it should be noted that your ant-like enemy will not sleep, so laying siege at night will not benefit you extraordinarily. There are three major ways to besiege the fortress in question:

1. Evasion & Attack

The most basic means of attack: simply flying in and killing anyone in your way. The benefit of the daemonic cherubim is that they can fly over any foot-soldier that tries to stop you. Unfortunately, a single arrow can break your wing, sending you spiraling down onto the ground, to be flayed alive by your enemy. Remember: A flightless cherub is at the mercy of his enemies! Always make sure that you can fly away, or your adventure is over.

Another downside to this strategy is that, once you enter the tower, your ability of flight shall become much less useful. For this reason, and those mentioned above, it is advised that you not always choose this strategy, and should sometimes use one of the methods listed below.

2. Assasination

Note that you can sneak whilst flying. Sometimes it is best to simply grab some sand to throw at the guards in the towers and take them out one by one. This strategy requires more patience, but it is fairly safe.

To be concluded soon.
If anyone recognizes the reference in the introduction, I applaud you.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:58:13 pm by Gnorm »
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: September 07, 2013, 10:08:55 pm »

-snip-

...Did Reemer add these?  I was a little too busy to look through the thread for other contributions during my turn.

Edit to the Wiki: Information has been changed to 'other'.  It still includes guides, but now also includes another category for contributions by other people/temporary storage for those who haven't gotten a category because they have yet to take their turn.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: September 07, 2013, 11:02:20 pm »

While that's a good start, and no reason not to refine it, I'd like to have a look at Gnorm's wiki too that he's been working on, and then I think we should decide rationally which wiki to concentrate on, since both are now functional. Having two will not work.
Oh, what the heck!
http://dffd.wikia.com/wiki/DFFD_Wiki
As you can see, the typo is that it there is a 'D' where an 'S' should be. Currently, there are creature pages, both with varying levels of completeness.

The comment about the war made me restore it.
I hope that you realize that my comment was not intended to be belligerent.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: September 07, 2013, 11:07:34 pm »

After some thought and review of wiki farms, I'm not sure wikia is the best platform even though it's the most popular. The double bars of ads and even more ads embedded in the page are not too attractive.

For comparison, WikiSpaces has a more attractive layout and has no ads. However, creating the wiki requires phone verification from somebody in the USA (apparently) to avoid spam. So I was unable to do that.
Sample site from googling: http://bpushistory.wikispaces.com
Sample image:

PBWorks on the other hand would provide a clear layout, is free without ads for nonprofit use and also provides access controls. The downside is guests can't edit:
http://dfscratch.pbworks.com

Your thoughts? Obviously I didn't put in content yet.

Of the previous ones, I prefer Gnorm's look (colors and links on front page) but that's just me. Zanz' upper right navigation bar is good though.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: September 07, 2013, 11:25:58 pm »

Your thoughts?
While I respect your opinion, I believe that the upside to wikia is that it provides a layout that most people are familiar with. The example you linked to would take a certain amount of navigation to get used to it; this might drive people away. Being that you're the leader of this thread, (at least, in my opinion) you should have the final say.
P.S. Your image link is broken.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: September 07, 2013, 11:33:57 pm »

The comment about the war made me restore it.
I hope that you realize that my comment was not intended to be belligerent.

Honestly, I thought it was a good idea.

After some thought and review of wiki farms, I'm not sure wikia is the best platform even though it's the most popular. The double bars of ads and even more ads embedded in the page are not too attractive.

For comparison, WikiSpaces has a more attractive layout and has no ads. However, creating the wiki requires phone verification from somebody in the USA (apparently) to avoid spam. So I was unable to do that.
Sample site from googling: http://bpushistory.wikispaces.com
Sample image:

PBWorks on the other hand would provide a clear layout, is free without ads for nonprofit use and also provides access controls. The downside is guests can't edit:
http://dfscratch.pbworks.com

Your thoughts? Obviously I didn't put in content yet.

Going to wikispaces using the url: www.wikispaces.com shows that the site is intended for use by educational organizations.  I don't think our wiki has a place there.

Pbworks...the interface seems a little strange, and, as Gnorm said, it could drive people away.

Of the previous ones, I prefer Gnorm's look (colors and links on front page) but that's just me. Zanz' upper right navigation bar is good though.

Well, I put mine up quickly.  I was mainly working on the navigation bar (which I need to work on, since it can only get to Lost In Nowhere's turn with the current turn formatting).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:51:19 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: September 07, 2013, 11:54:37 pm »

@Gnorm, are you sure? The image works fine for me. Also check out the sample page I posted for how a very simple Wikispaces wiki might look like.

PBWorks is different looking and different software. The editing is actually easier because you can drag and drop files in; this would make adding raws a breeze. But the no guest editing feature and more desktop metaphor looks may make it a huge loser anyway, I agree.

@Zanz
Going to wikispaces using the url: www.wikispaces.com shows that the site is intended for use by educational organizations.  I don't think our wiki has a place there.

Protip: click on "Not in education" ;D

https://www.wikispaces.com/content/frontpage

It's definitely free for this purpose.

If you want Mediawiki (similar to Wikia) specifically rather than an alternative wiki type, then the options are more limited.  Basically you're stuck with ads.
There's the alternative choice of shoutwiki: http://fishhooks.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page http://ufo-wiki.shoutwiki.com/ http://war.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page http://educacionsecualenjovenes.shoutwiki.com/ which I think looks pretty good, and that's about all I can think of where you don't have to apply for a wiki or have it have some greater purpose.

I'd prefer it to be discussion rather than myself making the choice. I won't have time to admin the wiki anyway. :P

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: September 08, 2013, 12:09:14 am »

If you want Mediawiki (similar to Wikia) specifically rather than an alternative wiki type, then the options are more limited.  Basically you're stuck with ads.

Honestly, the ads aren't in the way that much.  Granted, that one on the first page is an annoyance, but besides that, they are only at the top and bottom of the page, fairly easily ignored.

There's the alternative choice of shoutwiki: http://fishhooks.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page http://ufo-wiki.shoutwiki.com/ http://war.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page http://educacionsecualenjovenes.shoutwiki.com/ which I think looks pretty good, and that's about all I can think of where you don't have to apply for a wiki or have it have some greater purpose.

This seems to be a fairly good one.  How are contributions handled?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: September 08, 2013, 12:39:27 am »

Honestly, the ads aren't in the way that much.  Granted, that one on the first page is an annoyance, but besides that, they are only at the top and bottom of the page, fairly easily ignored.

This seems to be a fairly good one.  How are contributions handled?

Anyone may edit (but pages may be protected too). Unsigned users' contributions are logged by IP. There's also a hierarchy of admins and mods.

Here's my sample. Thoughts?

http://dfscratch.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

If it seems good, may as well add sample content to test it out further. Feel free to edit the main page too. Since it's mediawiki, I think you could easily even just loot stuff from other CC licensed pages :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: September 08, 2013, 02:36:14 am »

Well, looks like the thing to do is consolidate the content, once we decide on a platform. Right now I'm pretty confused  ???

Well, Cuttlers seemed interesting, so here's a fanart of two cuttlers squabbling over a dead water grub in a forest:

The one standing protectively over the dead grub is raising its front tentacles in a threat display to warn the foreign cuttler off. Stalk-eyes were a bit of creative license on my part, as when I hear "small land squid" I immediately think "squibbon" from the cartoon The Future is Wild. The weird spherical plant in the back behind the foreign cuttler is actually a pumpkin. I'm fairly certain pumpkin stalks do not normally look like that, but plugging that into Google Images was too much effort, so yeah :P
Nice! When I created them, I was thinking "What if cuttlefish filled the role of raccoons?" But those look cool. The pumpkin looks fine
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: September 08, 2013, 02:40:52 am »

Please all share your opinions on the wikis.

All wiki designers please see below image:

Pay attention to that array of buttons at the bottom. Sorry, I have to go this instant and don't have time to make it look better or add category samples. You can see the interactive design at: http://dfscratch.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

The idea here is:
These links point to categories where you can add separate pages that users add to the wiki (eg: idea:myideaaboutwhales), by adding eg: [[CATEGORY:IDEAS-SUGGESTED]] at the idea page
You would then move between categories by editing that token.

Report bugs into category bugs - investigated or bugs - confirmed, then when fixed, move them to category bugs - fixed

Ideas - suggested would hold ideas like "Dear DFFS, how cool would it be to have a landwhale? That breathes fire? love petitchkaxoxox"
Ideas - recommended would be  "Dear DFFS, how cool would it be to have a landwhale? That breathes fire? love petitchkaxoxox || I second this - StLeibowitz"
Ideas - implemented would be where you move it when you add it during your turn

Contributions would be the same, except with actual raws made by people who didn't take a turn.

I think this might actually really help coordinate the effort. Would be great if any wiki that we settle on has something similar or equivalent in function IMHO! Or what do you think?
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 261