Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 491063 times)

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1875 on: September 08, 2013, 08:48:26 am »

Hey playing adventure mode and when targeting creatures I notice that both elbows are called "right elbow".
Spider-centaurs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Halfing:
http://dfscratch.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page looks the nicest imo.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: September 08, 2013, 09:14:06 am »

The shoutwiki one looks cool. Few ads, too, so that's a major point in its favor.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: September 08, 2013, 12:49:25 pm »

Alright, I forgot to upload these, but here they are before I forget again:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:NAUTILUS_SWAMP_HUGOL]
[DESCRIPTION:A small, skittish cephalopod protected by a thick shell. They feed on small fish and crustaceans in wetlands and estuaries.]
[NAME:swamp nautilus:swamp nautili:swamp nautilus]
[CASTE_NAME:swamp nautilus:swamp nautili:swamp nautilus]
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:swamp nautilus larva:swamp nautilus larva]
[CREATURE_TILE:'n'][COLOR:4:0:1]
[PREFSTRING:shells]
[PREFSTRING:backwards motion]
[CREATURE_CLASS:ALL]
[CREATURE_CLASS:INVERTEBRATE][CREATURE_CLASS:CEPHALOPOD]

[BODY:CEPHALOPOD_MANTLE_SHELL:CEPHALOPOD_FACE:CEPHALOPOD_8ARMS:CEPHALOPOD_BRAINS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CORE_MATERIALS_HLG]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CORE_TISSUES_HLG]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CEPHALOPOD_CHITIN_HUGOL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CEPHALOPOD_SHELL_HUGOL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CEPHALOPOD_LAYERS_HUGOL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CEPHALOPOD_LAYERS_SHELL_HUGOL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SOFT_EGG_MATS_HUGOL]

[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:CEPHALOPOD_ARM_LENGTH]
[NOBONES]

[NATURAL]
[LARGE_ROAMING][ALL_ACTIVE][MEANDERER]
[BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL_WETLAND][BIOME:SWAMP_MANGROVE][BIOME:ANY_POOL]
[FREQUENCY:30]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:200:2000]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:5]
[PET_EXOTIC][PETVALUE:50]
[AMPHIBIOUS]

[NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:6]
[ATTACK:BITE:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:50]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:300]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:4000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:7000]
[CHILD:10] //Nautili are fairly long lived for cephalopods, and take a long time to mature.
[MAXAGE:20:30]

[HAS_NERVES][GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS][GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[SPEED:1300]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:900]
[RETRACT_INTO_BP:BY_CATEGORY:TORSO:hide in <pro_pos> shell:hides in <pro_pos> shell:come out of <pro_pos> shell:comes out of <pro_pos> shell]

[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[LAYS_EGGS]
[EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGGSHELL:SOLID]
[EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG:LIQUID]
[EGG_SIZE:10]
[CLUTCH_SIZE:25:40]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SELECT_TISSUE:MUSCLE]
[TL_VASCULAR:2]
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: September 08, 2013, 02:00:17 pm »

Anyone else is free to make another shoutwiki. I don't think we'll have equally motivated people if I created it, I'm old news. :P

Turns out I'm pretty bad at designing logos. Which do you like more?
Spoiler: "The token-vomit" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "The Lawnmower Dorf" (click to show/hide)
Or from Zanzetkuken's wiki,
Spoiler: "the Scratch" (click to show/hide)

Feel free to post better ones too.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: September 08, 2013, 02:07:20 pm »

Or from Zanzetkuken's wiki,
Spoiler: "the Scratch" (click to show/hide)

I honestly don't know who added this.  All I know is that it wasn't me.

Of all of those options, I think the Lawnmower Dorf looks the best.

Anyone else is free to make another shoutwiki. I don't think we'll have equally motivated people if I created it, I'm old news. :P

Since it doesn't have your name as its creator, other than in the history, I don't think this really matters.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: September 08, 2013, 02:43:44 pm »

The logo is now Lawnmower Dwarf. Front page rewritten with instructions (collapsed by default so as to not impede efficient use).

I added Zanzetkuken as a full administrator of the wiki, so I really hope that's you :D

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: September 08, 2013, 04:06:08 pm »

Formic ethics are based around what my view of what a hive of insects organized around a racial caste system would likely follow. Trespassing and theft aren't punished harshly if at all, since everything belongs to the Queen anyways (though stealing could be viewed as and punished as stealing from the Queen herself), while treason is utterly unthinkable. Oaths are similarly inviolable. Lying is unthinkable because of the aforementioned communal views on property ownership - information being property.

This all sounds pretty good, but I'm a bit confused as to why killing enemies is only allowed when specifically sanctioned and killing neutral parties is a personal matter that can happen at any time. I'd like to know your thought process behind that, so as to better understand it myself.

I would think that attacking neutrals being treated as a personal matter could lead to making enemies, and a single member making a faction the enemy of an entire hive-based civilization would seem very punishable to me.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: September 08, 2013, 04:10:07 pm »

I added Zanzetkuken as a full administrator of the wiki, so I really hope that's you :D

It is me.  Thank you for the promotion.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: September 08, 2013, 04:23:36 pm »

Regarding the wiki, I must say that the design you have chosen seems to be based less on providing information about the game, as I had intended mine to be, and more on reporting bugs and modding idea, which is the purpose that this thread has been serving. Nevertheless, the selection of website and layout seem to be popular, I'll drop the discussion.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: September 08, 2013, 05:17:49 pm »

Made it almost 2 years as a hobbit town before shit hit the fan.  Highlights:  99% of my migrants were farmers or hunters, reaver ants are evil and like ripping off heads, Bandit Moths are actually rather vicious if engaged in combat, and a Golden Mamaphint became mayor.  Pretty sure that last one is not a feature.  Details below.  Wish I remembered to take pictures, but it was mostly uneventful until the end.  Need to embark somewhere more exciting.

I think I'm going to try Formics next. 

Dragromblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: September 08, 2013, 05:51:17 pm »

I have been following this thread from the beginning, I just never really post much. However, I would like a turn for modding and if you guys want I can help out with maintaining the wiki
A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000642">Glass Bed Mod, perfect for those desert maps where wood can be difficult to get.
Glass goodies abound, so now you can download my Glass Mod to get a complete co

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: September 08, 2013, 06:03:54 pm »

This all sounds pretty good, but I'm a bit confused as to why killing enemies is only allowed when specifically sanctioned and killing neutral parties is a personal matter that can happen at any time. I'd like to know your thought process behind that, so as to better understand it myself.

I would think that attacking neutrals being treated as a personal matter could lead to making enemies, and a single member making a faction the enemy of an entire hive-based civilization would seem very punishable to me.

I was kind of thinking along the lines of the Ender's Game Formics on that matter, actually. The Formics in that book killed humans on first contact not out of malice, but because they didn't see them as individuals - just tools of a Queen. My Formics have similar thinking - workers are expendable, more or less, and nothing really to get worked up about if they happen to be killed and dismembered in the line of duty. Non-Formics are valued about as much, since there's no Queens to offend by killing them; if a halfling gets in the way of the Hive's business, said halfling will be killed, dismembered, and in all probability eaten by the obstructed Formic. While other races may not see this as "civilized" or "ethical" or even "sane", that's how they roll :)

The attacking-enemies-only-with-sanction is intended to reflect the caste system they have. They need direct command from superior castes to go to war in an official capacity, otherwise they'll just proceed normally with their lives, even if there's an invasion going on, so long as they don't fall under attack personally. Even then, the worker caste really isn't all that bright, and a Formic worker would flee a halfling raid despite its impressive size advantage unless specifically ordered by a Soldier, Drone, or Queen.

@Xieg: Did you have the moth cornered in melee combat? They're supposed to run away very quickly when confronted, so if they aren't using combat as a last resort that may warrant a bugfix. And good to know the reaver ants are working well :D
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: September 08, 2013, 07:00:11 pm »

What does [EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER] affect anyway?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: September 08, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »

What does [EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER] affect anyway?

EAT_SAPIENT_KILL determines whether or not a civilization will eat sentients they kill.

EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER is for whether they will eat sentients they come across that are already dead.

I'm not sure if the game can make that distinction yet outside of world-gen, though. Never played a cannibalistic race before. I know it doesn't work in Adventure Mode, but that's because the game is hard-coded to not let you eat sentients unless you are starving.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: September 08, 2013, 07:12:13 pm »

That's what I figured.

I like how 2/3 of the playable races have no problem eating sentients.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 261