Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492307 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2265 on: September 17, 2013, 09:49:12 pm »

Already did. Why would I make a reaction for something that I didn't make?

Hehe, I guess I did forget to post that:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:MYOMORPH_PUTNAM]
[NAME:myomorph:myomorphs:myomorph]
[CASTE_NAME:myomorph:myomorphs:myomorph]
[DESCRIPTION:A very small creature that lives in hives and stockpiles milk.]
[CREATURE_TILE:250][COLOR:6:0:0]
[VERMIN_SOIL_COLONY][FREQUENCY:100]
[VERMIN_NOTRAP]
[NOFEAR][NOEXERT][NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT][NO_FEVERS][NO_GENDER][NO_SLEEP][NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT][NOBONES][NOBREATHE][NOEMOTION][NOMEAT][NONAUSEA][NOPAIN][NOSKIN][NOSKULL][NOSMELLYROT][NOSTUCKINS][NOSTUN][NOT_BUTCHERABLE][NOT_LIVING][NOBONES]
[ARTIFICIAL_HIVEABLE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MILK:SOIL_TEMPLATE_LKR] odd choice of template, right? But material properties don't matter for a liquid, and this template was the only one with nothing but material info
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:WHITE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:SOLID:frozen myomorph milk]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:gaseous myomorph milk]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:POWDER:powdered myomorph milk] shh
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:myomorph milk]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:10180]
[MELTING_POINT:10000]
[SPEC_HEAT:3930]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[ROTS]
[GENERATES_MIASMA]
[ALCOHOL_CREATURE]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BUTTER_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BUTTER]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:CHEESE_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:CHEESE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BUTTER:SOIL_TEMPLATE_LKR]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:myomorph butter]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:gaseous myomorph butter]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:melted myomorph butter]
[BOILING_POINT:10300]
[MELTING_POINT:10070]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[ROTS]
[STOCKPILE_GLOB_SOLID]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CHEESE:SOIL_TEMPLATE_LKR]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:SOLID:myomorph cheese]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:gaseous myomorph cheese]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:melted myomorph cheese]
[BOILING_POINT:10200]
[MELTING_POINT:10080]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[ROTS]
[GENERATES_MIASMA]
[CHEESE_CREATURE]
[HIVE_PRODUCT:5:33600:DRINK:NONE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:MILK]
[FLIER]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:250:500]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:100:200]
[SMALL_REMAINS]
[PETVALUE:1]
[PETVALUE_DIVISOR:1000]
[SPEED:2900]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:1]
[BODY:SPIRIT_ZTG]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SPIRIT_MATERIALS_ZTG]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SPIRIT_TISSUES_ZTG]
[PREFSTRING:cuteness]
[CREATURE_CLASS:ETHEREAL][CREATURE_CLASS:INCORPOREAL]
[HOMEOTHERM:10000]
[BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE]

I should probably add milk, butter and cheese templates based on what I have here.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:51:53 pm by Putnam »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: September 17, 2013, 10:12:05 pm »

Somehow it seems really wholesome to get butter from a beehive. Really, I don't know why, it just does.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: September 17, 2013, 11:09:29 pm »

I think I shall do a playtest. As much as I've commented and created, I haven't actually played it much outside adventure mode. I really want to see everything that's been added in motion since the last time I actually played fort, so wish me luck!

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: September 17, 2013, 11:58:27 pm »

Good luck! Post reports for our amusement so we can see our pretties tear your minions limb from limb :D
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: September 18, 2013, 12:19:09 am »

Why do Halflings have to use English words at all?

Here's how language in DF works:

The vocabulary words that the game uses are all defined in a great big txt file, in English. Each "language" is a collection of translations for those English words, for instance [T_WORD:DAGGER:urist]. Every language must have a translation for every word in the basic vocabulary, or else you get names that include " " because the game generates names based on the basic vocabulary, and displays the translation of it.

Our basic vocabulary was originally created under the mistaken assumption that each language could have it's own "words.txt" file, so it began as an "ABC's for Halflings dictionary". Then many more words were added after this was corrected. But we're still missing many needed words, thus all languages are somewhat "hobbit-flavored" because of the basic vocabulary the translations are based on.

Slight correction. The assumption was that everyone would add needed words as they go.

I still support that. But remember we established words are a MAJOR source of lag and the impoverished vocab is what makes Scratch go faster to a surprising extent (try plugging in the normal words and feel the pain if you're used to fast) and keeps it faster even creatures being equal :). That's why I myself didn't want my large vocabulary file in myself. So while I realize the original words aren't efficiently chosen, as I wasn't aware of this then.

Please add words that you really want, but try to avoid word bloat and adding ones you don't really want but get a feeling of "maybe this should be there", okay? Keep small.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: September 18, 2013, 01:09:18 am »

Alright. But it's definitely a big loss that we don't have "fire" anywhere.

Priorities: we need more adjectives, and we need each word that is a Sphere title.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:10:49 am by HugoLuman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: September 18, 2013, 02:34:00 am »

Times are grim. When only a generation ago our parents enjoyed a simple life, not asking much of the world, and enjoying the fruits of the earth and honest work. But now the land has grown too wild. Our streams are overrun with water striders who sting us, we cannot fish. Our lands are overrun with giant wasps, we can hardly farm. We tried retreating deeper into the bosom of the soil, burrowing deeper, deeper. But our homes were not meant to be so deep, so now our holes are overrun with horrid ants; we can scarcely live. All the creatures who once troubled us only rarely, and could be driven off with a few stones, now threaten us daily with murder.

So we have chosen to leave, and find a new home. Our parents remain, along with some of our siblings and cousins, to try and continue the old ways, but we need a safer place for our children. They wish us luck, though. I have decided we shall go to the ocean's edge, to live off its bounty, and to follow the coast North until it becomes too cold for the insects. It might be unknown to us, but anything must be better than this.

So it was that the Bright Expedition set out from their homeland, Mightymountain, in the Year of the Pumpkin 108...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Baekin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: September 18, 2013, 04:08:57 am »

Howdy everyone. This is my first post. I am a longtime lurker of this thread and casual DF player. I have been trying to play Formics and was very annoyed by how they start with a regent. My first try, one of my 7 was exempt from menial labor and immediately mandated pants. Haha. I continually messed with the raws and regenned and finally found a version that worked. I am not certain exactly which change or combination of changes is needed, but the below version works in my game. I did so by comparison with vanilla nobles. Notably I added Spouse tags which it didn't have. I doubt this is it.

I also changed the ordering of the tags, in case syntax is important. The format used in vanilla seems to be Name stuff, Site, Land_Holder, Land_Name (not sure this is definitely required, but it is in all vanilla entries I could find for land holders. I suspect if it is missing you would at least get a message that "you have now become a ." Also, it was set to be appointed by MONARCH, but formics have no such office, but rather a QUEEN. I also removed the number tag, because as far as I can see, Land_Holders usually do not have it.

Lastly I removed the CONQUERED_SITE tag. This is the one I am fairly certain actually hosed it. I am not sure if it is because it can't be set to both, or because CONQUERED_SITE was interrupting the syntax and it would work if placed elsewhere. Anyway... someone feel free to look at what I did, and either use it, if starting with a regent is indeed unintended or just fix only the minimum that needs fixing, as I am in no means sure that all of this is needed to make it work.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: September 18, 2013, 04:29:59 am »

What causes them to appear at the start is the SITE token and the lack of a required minumum population. The drastic changes are unnecessary, you just need to add a minimum population requrement.

Baekin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: September 18, 2013, 05:09:50 am »

Actually, in the vanilla raws none of the land-holders have minimum population tags. The mayor is the only one I can think of off-hand.

That theoretically should be handled by this line further up in the entity:
[LAND_HOLDER_TRIGGER:1:50:10000:100000]  Trigger for a Regent to be appointed, to govern in the Queen's name.

So it's already specified by this tag that he should only show up after you have 50 formics, 10,000 exported wealth and 100,000 fortress value.

Why it doesn't work, I don't know. In that respect STL's original raws are the same as vanilla raws.

edit: I am now quite certain it was the CONQUERED_SITE tag. A version which changes nothing except the typo (QUEEN instead of MONARCH) and removing CONQUERED_SITE now starts with no regent.

This minimally modified version as compared to STL's original raw is below. This is from entity_STL:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:39:49 am by Baekin »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: September 18, 2013, 01:00:05 pm »

The continued story of Oceanbrave

Spoiler: story (click to show/hide)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: September 18, 2013, 02:19:14 pm »

The story of Oceanbrave is added to the first post, making Hugo the first person to appear three times in the list of turns. :)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: September 18, 2013, 06:12:38 pm »

Got some more Oceanbrave. Oh, and it seems Star "absolutely detests Treelords" :D

Spoiler: story (click to show/hide)

Some thing's I've noticed:
-Many plants with custom reactions don't yield seeds from those reactions, so to make them edible and replant you have to buy more seeds from the caravan.
-The only edible parts of an animal are the muscles. We need to add [MEAT] to the organ and brain material templates, so much of the flesh is going to waste...

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: September 18, 2013, 06:18:21 pm »

Did anyone fix apple trees and the lumbermill?

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: September 18, 2013, 06:54:24 pm »

Some thing's I've noticed:
-Many plants with custom reactions don't yield seeds from those reactions, so to make them edible and replant you have to buy more seeds from the caravan.
-The only edible parts of an animal are the muscles. We need to add [MEAT] to the organ and brain material templates, so much of the flesh is going to waste...

This explains the lack of seeds when I played, I noticed that I was unable to maintain any sort of seed stockpile when growing pumpkins and coral fungi. This does need to be fixed.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 261