Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492686 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2280 on: September 18, 2013, 08:38:59 pm »

Ohh, gonna have fun with this...

Spoiler: More Story (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: September 18, 2013, 10:07:25 pm »

I am currently testing a caravan arriving at my depot repeatedly. So far the first two times it exploded, and I didn't check what might have done it, and the third time I looked at all the items carefully for any potential culprits and suspected a few, but then nothing combusted. I'll report anything I find.

Edit: Man, pack beetle caravans move freaking fast. Also I just noticed Coal Blocks in the cart. I am already highly suspicious of these now.

Edit2: Two carts arrived in quick succession, each with one "coal block". I recall that both types are named identically, so I wondered whether either would actually blow up. First one unloaded fine, the second exploded. I'm pretty certain that the explosive coal is the culprit, however.

Edit3: In order to be completely sure, I have changed the doom coal's in-game name to "coaldoom" and will watch for syndromes on soldiers stationed nearby. Also I'm going to attempt to go frame by frame and see if I can see it ignite.

Edit4: A caravan arrived without any coal at all and nothing blew up. I did notice a couple of very strange items, however:
Various kinds of wood gems
Prepared chitin chain robe
I'm guessing that these should not be possible.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:47:10 pm by Poldon »

Baekin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: September 18, 2013, 11:25:03 pm »

Wood gems seem odd, but the chitin chain robe is actually less so. Prepared chitin is treated as a metal by the game, and thus a valid choice for the game to produce metal items from, including the chain robe. At least I think.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: September 18, 2013, 11:42:42 pm »

I have tried umpteen times now to get the caravan to bring more explosive coal and it has not done so. On the other hand, it has not blown up either. I am going to go to bed now, but someone needs to prevent the doom coal from being brought in caravans in a future bugfix.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: September 18, 2013, 11:45:13 pm »

Just add [SPECIAL] to it.

Checking the most recent upload, it does have [SPECIAL]

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: September 19, 2013, 04:57:49 am »

Wood gems seem odd, but the chitin chain robe is actually less so. Prepared chitin is treated as a metal by the game, and thus a valid choice for the game to produce metal items from, including the chain robe. At least I think.

Wood gems are an oddity, but prepared chitin chain robes are intended, in the sense that prepared chitin is a metal. Actually, I've only ever seen them use it for weaponry, so this is a step in the right direction :)
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: September 19, 2013, 09:09:59 am »

Wood gems are an oddity, but prepared chitin chain robes are intended, in the sense that prepared chitin is a metal. Actually, I've only ever seen them use it for weaponry, so this is a step in the right direction :)

Okay, I was assuming "prepared chitin" was somehow chitin that had been prepared as food and then after that turned into a chain robe. Seemed a bit odd to me.

Also I do see the special tag. Going to test a bit more this morning to see if I can determine whether it's still showing up or what's happening.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: September 19, 2013, 11:50:12 am »

Do halflings have the reaction to prepare Chitin?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: September 19, 2013, 12:47:09 pm »

I forget if we determined whether wood gems (which we discovered in Leibowitz's turn) were due to weirdness or raw duplication. It wouldn't surprise me... but then again, nobody's seen mountains of blood (yes, that was a thing during my turn) in a while...
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: September 19, 2013, 01:36:28 pm »

Here's an idea: we should have reactions to make "beds" from hair or feathers, since those are soft materials once often used for mattress stuffing. Preferably we'd rename the product to "mattress", but I don't know if that's possible.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: September 19, 2013, 02:06:20 pm »

That's clever. Beds can't be renamed. But they should definitely be able to be made from soft things.

Halflings don't have reactions to work chitin, nor should have. Organs are EDIBLE_COOKED (as makes sense for most species, considering it is the template used for intestines), does that not work? If so, any permission to fix so that they actually are edible cooked (but not raw) is of course given as that's the intention.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: September 19, 2013, 02:13:20 pm »

You still cant process apples. A pity.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: September 19, 2013, 02:20:18 pm »

The organs just go straight to the refuse pile, there's no way to convince the Halflings to cook them as they don't show up in the kitchen menu. It needs both MEAT and EDIBLE_COOKED for the game to recognize it as edible meat. I know your intention was to make people to cook organs first, but you didn't need to omit the meat token, because it's the EDIBLE_RAW token that makes something edible raw, not the lack of EDIBLE_COOKED.

And it's not just the template used for intestines, it's used for ALL organs, having been consolidated into a singe "organs," so giving ORGAN_TISSUE the properties of intestines alone is a bad idea.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: September 19, 2013, 02:29:34 pm »

Well, shouldn't people generally speaking like to process internal organs before eating? I guess that's one trade off that comes with removing seemingly unnecessary body parts for speed that you can't make different rules for intestines and hearts. Liver should definitely be edible raw, intestines and kidneys probably not, eating the brain raw should give you kuru, and so on.

I left out meat because it's not meat - but didn't think that would lead it to being refuse. And I was unaware that one needs [MEAT] for this to work, so that should be added next bugfix. :P

Apple tree issues, part II:

Code: [Select]
reaction_kopout

[OBJECT:REACTION]

[REACTION:PREPARE_APPLE_TREES_KPT]
   [NAME:prepare apple trees]
   [BUILDING:LUMBERYARD:CUSTOM_A]#a for apple
   [AUTOMATIC]
   [SKILL:CARPENTRY]
   [REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:LOGS:PLANT_MAT:APPLE_HLG:STRUCTURAL] <--------------------------
   [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:APPLE_WOOD_KPT:APPLE_WOOD]
   [PRODUCT:100:2:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:APPLE_FRUIT_KPT:APPLE_FRUIT_STRUCTURE_KPT]
   [PRODUCT:50:1:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:APPLE_FRUIT_KPT:APPLE_FRUIT_STRUCTURE_KPT]   
   [PRODUCT:25:1:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:APPLE_FRUIT_KPT:APPLE_FRUIT_STRUCTURE_KPT]

The origin of this bug is unknown. I know it used to work previously and this must therefore be an untracked change. Fix: marked line should read

[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:LOGS:PLANT_MAT:APPLE_HLG:RAW_APPLE_TREE]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: September 19, 2013, 02:40:33 pm »

No, it shouldn't It should read [REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:APPLE_HLG:STRUCTURAL].
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 261