Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485656 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2310 on: September 20, 2013, 12:49:14 am »

Underground civs can only be wandering tribes, so don't add anything related to sites or else they won't spawn. Aside from that, they can have allowed buildings, professions, items, and reactions, but in practice will only live as nomadic groups. I don't know whether or not giving them positions will prevent them from appearing.

@Halfling: Viruses are way more interesting than Prions, anyway. They can do much more, including directly mess with the DNA of living cells. Not to mention Prions are less scary in a world of invertebrates, too, because arthropod nervous systems are less complex (except the brain) and all invertebrate nervous systems are far less centralized than vertebrate ones. The brains of Cephalopods, for instance, are seperated into 8 segments located at the base of the arms. many insects have an "Hourglass" brain, with a large segment behind each compound eye and a third, smaller segment in the middle. Most arthropod body motion is controlled by dual nodes in each segment of the body.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:07:02 am by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: September 20, 2013, 07:23:42 pm »

March 20th, 110

The trading went much better this year. With Swamp's crafts, we managed to purchase all the wood from the Elves and several water grubs from our own kind, though we could not afford their anvils. Additionally, the Elves, contrary to their reputation, immediately bum-rushed the feral hounds harassing our builders. Together, we killed 4 of them and caged one, which we shall also eat. Now we can get back to work on building some surface shelters.

I hope that with these grubs, we shall soon no longer have a thirst problem.

April 10th, 110

That Panserblekk of ours has multiplied! A female she must be, since she gave birth to twins today. Well, what a stroke of luck! If we wean the babes ourselves, we might get these beasts properly domesticated!

April 28th, 110

Here comes another pack of feral dogs. I now know what to think of them: food. Our aim is true, our rocks are hard, and they're the only animal we get often that isn't covered in armor. I've finally armed our hunters, now they shall deal with these pests.

May 16th, 110

Sadly, it seems this place is too much for our Aphidadas, after all. They are starving, the ground cover does not grow back quickly enough to feed them. One nymph has dropped dead already. I'm afraid we shall have to butcher the lot. They served us well, even saved our lives, but we must do the humane thing.

May 28th, 100

This season's arrivals came today, 11 in total. Them and the many children we've had lately bring our total up to 65. A thriving, small village we've got here, now. What good fortune! My job as mayor is getting complicated and busy now, but I don't mind.

June 13th, 100

Goodness! Another caravan from the Elves? Well, we must really have done better!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: September 20, 2013, 08:50:52 pm »

The aphids  :'( So sad...they were the most adorable and cow-like of the things I added, maybe with the exception of the bees.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They will be missed.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: September 20, 2013, 10:01:02 pm »

So I noticed there weren't many shapes and set out to fix that.

Code: [Select]
[SHAPE:SHAPE_TESSERACT_PUTNAM]
[NAME:tesseract:tesseracts]
[ADJ:entirely unseemly]
[ADJ:disgusting]
[ADJ:writhing]
[ADJ:rotating]
[ADJ:calming]
[ADJ:slithering]
[ADJ:quite annoying]
[TILE:35]

I'm confused by my motives in making this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: September 20, 2013, 10:28:09 pm »

I really, really need to make a new creature. Ah hell.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: September 21, 2013, 02:55:19 am »

Tesseract = 4d hypercube.  Why all the ugly descriptors?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: September 21, 2013, 03:00:53 am »

It's engraved into a wall and visibly 4D, is the implication.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: September 21, 2013, 03:19:56 am »

Hah!  It would certainly explain engravings that reference themselves...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: September 21, 2013, 04:30:15 am »

Crazy bad design oversight (through bad inference). Neither trolls nor halflings may visit you unless you're playing as them. My stupidity/impatience in testing by playing the race has not let me notice this so far.

In short, I assumed PROGRESS_TRIGGERs default to something reasonable, because you get caravans of dwarves in vanilla. They don't. Please add:

Halfling entity:
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
(Halfling traders visit any places relatively soon, but halflings should not kill you in fortress mode as they only attack large fortresses of the enemy.)

Troll entity:
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:2]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:2]
(Trolls visit places that they learn are wealthy, and may attempt to take that wealth for themselves. They're too primitive and tribal to listen to rumors from faraway lands or participate in cooperative intelligence, so they'll only learn about your forest cutting antics as it becomes common knowledge.)

The explanation here is they're not really, as a group, that interested in protecting the forests against all threats, although they engage in hunting there and forests are important in their religion. That would require a kind of goal-based organization and a type of thinking that's not based on immediate personal or small group level gain. Rather they're looking for any good excuse to get collectively mad and go to war with you and/or demand ransom, once they learn that you have something they want like anything shiny.
An alternative explanation is that most trolls really are indifferent to any collective effort, including the nominal chief, so they may kill you and make personal deals but won't go to war for no reason; the shamans, who only have time to visit wealthier settlements, who negotiate trees with you, are the only ones who really care about whether you cut trees, and once you make them mad, their religious influence can persuade trolls and allies to join forces against you.

These lines can be added to your save raws without regenerating the world in order to trigger the proper behavior for the existing save.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: September 21, 2013, 01:43:17 pm »

i'll do that

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: September 21, 2013, 02:14:52 pm »

Another round of reporting.  Things of note, Queens like to spam about how they are unable to clean due to being too wounded, atleast until I used therapist to turn off their cleaning skill.  Had started to find it odd why I hadn't seen any other traders, but Halfling just point out why that happens. 

And panserblekks are brutal, but apparently grazers.  My solution was to train every single one I have for war then setup a bunch of pastures on the surface.  Other than that they are very efficient war machines.

Oooh, and while I'm here put me in for a modding turn at some point in the future.  Have finally started to poke around the raws and it all actually makes some kind of sense to me.  Have some ideas that could be fun, in the traditional DF sense anyway.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: September 21, 2013, 03:10:06 pm »

Was that with reemer or HugoL raws? Just so I know where to link it :P once I get home again.

Also, sorry about the progress triggers mess, really. Thanks for adding the fix Putnam, and any raws-savvy playtesters - please feel free to incorporate it too, it should work straight away if just added to save raws (entity files).

Is adding you to the end of the turns list fine?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: September 21, 2013, 03:28:54 pm »

It's engraved into a wall and visibly 4D, is the implication.

That tesseract needs a prefstring: insanity if you ask me.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: September 21, 2013, 03:50:47 pm »

Oh, also, Putnam, if you're short on ideas and didn't get excited about any of the above, how about more megabeasts? Despite HugoL himself designing ones earlier, we still only have one semimegabeast and one megabeast.

On a balance note, regular creatures will probably kill you a lot more though. We''ve not had one fort die to a megabeast yet. :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: September 21, 2013, 03:55:24 pm »

Ohoho.

Ohoho!

I also came up with a new swamp grass. Since all the other grass is moss, I figure that grass itself took a different path:

plant_putnam

[OBJECT:PLANT]

[PLANT:INTELLIGENT_GRASS_PUTNAM]
[ALL_NAMES:creeping grass]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURE:PLANT_STRUCTURE_HLG]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURE]
[GRASS]
[GRASS_TILES:'.':',':';':'`']
[GRASS_COLORS:2:0:0:2:0:0:7:0:0:0:0:1]
[WET]
[DRY]
[BIOME:ANY_WETLAND]

[CREATURE:INTELLIGENT_GRASS_CREATURE_PUTNAM]
[NAME:creeping grass growth:creeping grass growths:creeping grass]
[CASTE_NAME:creeping grass growth:creeping grass growths:creeping grass]
[DESCRIPTION:A moving growth of the creeping grass underneath. It moves to absorb any that tread upon the grass. Draining it of water should force it to stop moving.]
[CREATURE_CLASS:ALL][CREATURE_CLASS:ORGANIC][CREATURE_CLASS:PLANT][CREATURE_CLASS:PLANT_LAND][CREATURE_CLASS:PLANT_SWAMP]
[BIOME:ANY_WETLAND]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:5000:10000]
[BLOOD:WATER:NONE]
[CREATURE_TILE:'o'][CASTE_TILE:'o']
[COLOR:2:0:0]
[NO_WINTER][NO_AUTUMN]
[NO_DIZZINESS][NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT][NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_FEVERS][NO_GENDER][NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN][NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST][NO_SLEEP][NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT][NOBONES]
[NOBREATHE][NOEMOTION][NOEXERT][NOFEAR][NOMEAT][NONAUSEA][NOPAIN][NOSKIN][NOSKULL][NOTHOUGHT][NOSTUN][NOT_BUTCHERABLE][NOT_LIVING][PARALYZEIMMUNE]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:600:600:600:600:600:600:600]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:AGILITY:1000:1000:1000:1000:1000:1000:1000]
[SPEED:2500]
[UBIQUITOUS]
[PREFSTRING:grassy nature]
[BODY:TREELORD]
[BODYGLOSS:INTELLIGENT_GRASS_GLOSS_PUTNAM]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURE:PLANT_STRUCTURE_HLG]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[TISSUE:STRUCTURE]