Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 491480 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2355 on: September 22, 2013, 11:53:25 am »

MEAT just makes it count as meat. It has EDIBLE_COOKED but lacks EDIBLE_RAW, so no, it cannot be eaten raw. It will be listed under meat reserves and add to the total food number, but most civ members won't actually touch it until it gets made into prepared meals. Adventurers can still eat it raw, but Adventurers are weirdos.

Without the MEAT token, it cannot be eaten. Making it a glob would make little difference. If you want to make organs different, we'd have to make new material templates and change the BDP's. Right now the only organs are "guts" and "lungs," both made of ORGAN_TISSUE, so we'd also have to add other organs.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: September 22, 2013, 12:04:15 pm »

Apparently the finer points of DF cuisine still elude me. The wiki is not very helpful on this one.

Well, thanks for noticing and fixing it. Even if it had become edible raw it would have been more correct than just rotting :)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: September 22, 2013, 01:29:24 pm »

I'd like to help out the English on the "little ones" post:
"A race of verry small, harry mountan men. They pefer not to fight, but will if provoked. The live in small dougouts doug into the hillside or halfway berried into the chost lines and are only found in cold reagons."

should read:
"A race of very hairy mountain men.  They prefer not to fight, but will if provoked.  They live in small burrows dug into a hillside or half-way buried into the chost lines and are only found in cold regions."

(I have no idea what "chost" is - can you describe it?)
I cant spell. It is supost to be coast. Also I dont really know what I am doing. What things do I need to remove?

Oh, I am also in the midst of making some videos on this. they are getting uploaded in an odd order, and some may be very short. Go youtube for requiring cellphones to get longer videos.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:32:46 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: September 22, 2013, 01:58:32 pm »

I'm RPing a bit about the digging, in case you couldn't tell.

November 25th, 110

We've had quite a few births recently, bringing our numbers to 87. We must speed up building these igloos, and we must make more room elsewhere as well. More traditional rooms shall be dug in the next layer of soil, though it will be too deep for any decent sunlit windows. Perhaps I can use the opportunity to find the bedrock.

December 11th, 110

Struck bedrock today! It was much deeper than we'd anticipated, under many layers of hard-packed dirt. I suppose we shall begin mining it for material and coal, as soon as we get something harder than wooden shovels.

January 1st, 111

Goodness, another year has gone by! We are beginning to reclaim something absent from the Halfling life for far too long... monotony. A simple, unsurprising existence. Different from traditional life, sure, but soon this shall be our new tradition. Ah, but it would be nice to have a bit more variety in our drinks. One day we shall be able to buy. One day...

February 11th, 111

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: September 22, 2013, 03:28:27 pm »

That is cool.

And have a link to my DFFS series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sum1QxzpoX0
Highly Opinionated Fool

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: September 22, 2013, 03:36:41 pm »

In the context of Halflings, does anyone else read "An enormous flying demon of the ancient world" and think "Balrog"?
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: September 22, 2013, 03:44:47 pm »

Yes?
Highly Opinionated Fool

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: September 22, 2013, 03:49:18 pm »

Oh god, it was hilarious. I have to properly dramaticize what happened.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: September 22, 2013, 04:09:33 pm »

Allright...
Highly Opinionated Fool

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: September 22, 2013, 04:53:26 pm »

I really need to know how to get my military to actually use weapons in this, because I've got some rather nice leadwood cudgels I'd like to try out.

February 12th, 111

It was over in 15 minutes. The beast came at us from the North, announcing its presence with a clap of thunder. We looked upon it, the largest thing we'd ever seen, its wings almost blocking out the sun...

The beast was met with a cloud of flying rocks, striking everywhere simultaneously. It came down with a crash that might have split this place in half, its wings perforated, and captain Blade charged at it naked, chucking stones at its face. He kicked it savagely about the head and neck, doing little damage, and the wounded beast might have swept him away were it not for the Panserblekk.

Our own beast rushed to the captains aid, joining him in the mutilation. He had drawn blood with his bare feet, and the mighty pummeling of those eight arms drew much more. With one final pound upon the head, the legendary Vine was a pile of pulped, bloody flesh.

We shall eat well for some time. We shall eat well indeed.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: September 22, 2013, 05:08:12 pm »

Storm dragons have an extremely impressive description for the durability they demonstrate against massed halfling rocks. I think at this point it's plausible, with how lethal those are, that the number of heavily armored, extremely dangerous beasts is just a result of animalkind trying to adapt enough to actually hunt the peaceful things the hobbits domesticated.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: September 22, 2013, 05:12:41 pm »

Lone halflings aren't very safe, but my god, safety in numbers indeed! They form natural firing volleys.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: September 22, 2013, 05:30:02 pm »

I've just downloaded the most recent version, and would like to share with you the story of my first adventurer of the new world.

I started out by creating a small world with only 125 years to its history. Geographically, it is a large continent, with one or two major outlying islands. The spider-centaurs have made their civilizations in the harsh south of the world, if I remember correctly, and they have remained a small people that has contributed little to history. To the far north, the only formic civilization thrives along with its neighbors the psionics, the lizardfolk, and the trolls. The halflings have, wisely, sought their land away from these war-like nations, whilst the cherubim have largely taken control of the wide mountain ranges near the trolls.

A single formic soldier, wishing to bring glory to the name of his queen and his people, left the hive and, in his journies, found himself within a peaceful troll hamlet. Wishing to gain a name for himself amongst the local populace, he inquired as to whether or not there was anything to kill. The locals informed him that their law-making noble was believed to be a bloodsucking vampire, responsible for the deaths of 22 citizens. Upon checking his map, he discovered that a noble's fortress was in range of the hamlet, and that there would likely be soldiers to recruit. Taking some tarnish stalks as emergency supplies, the formic left for the manor.

Upon arriving at the fortress, the combat-trained warrior was piqued to find that the soldiers refused to go with "someone such as he," and he was forced to, dejectedly, cross the mountains by himself. He swore, however, that he would return to gain followers once he had accomplished his goal.

He soon found out, however, what a dangerous place the mountains could be. Rivers were scarce feral hounds were ubiquitous. Fortunately, this meant a ready supply of food, but the hounds had strength in numbers. An even greater threat, still, was the constant threat of cherubim attacks. The winged beasts, remnants of the old times, built their mighty cathedrals on these mountains, and were eager to sacrifice any intruders. From their first attack, fortunately, he was able to sneak away; they ambushed him in his sleep for their second. He was forced to pull arrows from his arms, legs, and body whilst he ran from the bowmen. Losing two of his shields, he managed to escape once more.

Their third attack was even more harmful to the formic; again assaulting him in his sleep, he lost a thumb and a section of his leg to his aggressors that night. Formic soldiers, however, never surrender. He managed to cripple the two cherubim that attacked him and, although he failed to kill either, he managed to replace his lost shields with those which they dropped.

When he finally made it to the troll capital, he was stunned. The city was no more than a burrow into a mound of azurine. In the distance, he could hear the piercing screams of trolls, and he rushed towards the mound to find that they were fighting one of the most dangerous creatures from below: reaver ants. This attack crippled the numbers of the trolls, but the tide was turned by the formic soldier, who fought defeated the last of the ants.

Unfortunately, the vampire was killed in the attacks, and upon trying to explain his true form to the other trolls, they simply dismissed it as a rumor. Disappointed, though still eager to fight, our hero rested under the stars, letting his injuries heal.

His rest was cut short, however, by a fourth cherubim attack. This time he wasn't going to let them escape; with the help of the trolls, he slaughtered the two daemons sent to destroy the capital, and was finally able to rest at ease.

In the morning, he looked upon the wreckage of the troll burrow. Bodies were scattered everywhere, and the stench of death wrought in the air. The remaining trolls were, nonetheless, eager to continue on with their lives. With this job finished, the soldier prepared himself to, once again, visit the manor of the troll lord.

This has been, so far, an unexpectedly satisfying and exciting adventure. There are some things, however, that I should point out.
- My adventurer lost his upper right leg, but he can still walk, and has his lower leg and foot.
- The troll capital does not seem to extend below the earth, meaning the reaver ants shouldn't have been able to come out of the caverns
- Azurine walls and floors looking exactly the same is really annoying.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: September 22, 2013, 05:37:50 pm »

The cavern thing, I think, is a vanilla bug. Could be something related to our raws if more caves turn out to not extend lower.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: September 22, 2013, 05:57:52 pm »

Most impressive, Gnorm. I think I'll have to actually update my copy and start running around in it again when I have some free time.

Additionally, I love the fact that reaver ants seem to be the main thing inhabiting caves. They have their own anthills and I didn't even have to do anything :D

EDIT:
@Aseaheru: Just saw the episode in your video series where the caravan comes in and spontaneously combusts. I hadn't seen this bug in action until now, and it is hilarious. We should still probably figure out what, precisely, is bursting into flames, though...

Also, the halflings charging the salticidae (I think that's what they were) amused me too. Great series so far!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:02:51 pm by StLeibowitz »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 261