Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492682 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2505 on: September 28, 2013, 01:06:12 pm »

The reactions are INCENSE_TEST and BARREL_TEST in reaction_STL.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: September 28, 2013, 01:10:29 pm »

Also, doublepost but this is such a different topic:

Attention halfling players/playtesters: It's not listed in the changelogs, but as of Putnam's upload halflings can make and wear leather armor to improve survivability. The player guide has been updated to reflect this. You can also discover halfling-sized leather armor pieces in adventure mode.

The pieces are hat/cap, coat, gloves and boots. Whether you can make leather boots is up to luck; most halfling civs don't bother making them, some do. The coats cover the arms and neck (waistcoats don't, however). There is no piece for greaves: coat tails cover the legs, but not the feet.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: September 28, 2013, 01:43:06 pm »

I'm going to try out Putnam's turn as the lizardfolk.  I haven't gotten enough information on those guys...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: September 28, 2013, 01:43:34 pm »

ninja'd many times

@Halfling That's odd, I see their historical figures killed off in droves and most of them fail fatally while attempting to slay beasts in legends. I'd rather not give them a low civ cap, since that would make them very, very rare in larger worlds.

NINJEDIT: Wait, no actual leather armor? Just the ability to make their normal clothes out of leather? That's not much protection. Some actual armor, set to be thicker than a coat, would be nice.

March 3rd, 111

Lake Skullcavern, one of our hunters, has been cagey recently, but we're impressed to see what he's been working on. A shield made of hound bone, carved with an image of one of those snow-mushroom-trees. He demonstrated that his creation is remarkably sturdy, bone worked such that it is almost metal. Well, we shall hang the shield in our dining hall for all to enjoy, and I think we've found someone to carve all that dragon bone.

In other news, digging ever deeper, we struck a vein of saturated Jaded Slade, and now we've got fresh water! It's a bit too deep to be convenient, but with a steady bucket train, we're filling our long-dry cistern near the surface. No more shall we worry about our water grubs or drink-crops!

March 6th, 111

Oh dear! We've gone too low! Our diggers breached into a massive cavern today - just the sort of cavern that sent a flood of murderous ants into the hobbit-holes back home. We've only punched through the ceiling, and perhaps these Northern caves contain no ants, but I'm having the hole sealed off. Can't be too careful.

March 12th, 111

Here come the Elves' traders for the season. And no doubt our own soon behind. Well, welcome, traders! We are well prepared with many wonderful things. Not only lumber, but leather and cloth we shall buy.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:45:33 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: September 28, 2013, 01:52:47 pm »

NINJEDIT: Wait, no actual leather armor? Just the ability to make their normal clothes out of leather? That's not much protection. Some actual armor, set to be thicker than a coat, would be nice.

Well, first of all, shouldn't the adherents be kind of esoteric and unusual rather than something found in every corner of the world? I mean you don't have shaolin monasteries all over the world, and would they be special if they were? That's how I imagined them originally, as such that you would have to travel all the world to find their monastery, not visit the one close by.

Anyway... How do you actually set something to be thicker than a coat? I don't know that DF makes the distinction of armor thickness. The armorlevel is set to 1 (leather), they have high coverage and the structural elasticity flag to make them useless as armor that you use for clothes is not set. The fact that they're leather padded versions of civilian clothing is just for flavor and coolness; since my organic materials have from the start had values that are superior to vanilla, in a conscious decision to boost the usability of organic material equipment,  gameplay mechanics-wise, they should be inferior to metal but superior to vanilla leather.

Also, I see that jaded slade, originally added to annoy, saves another fort :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: September 28, 2013, 01:58:36 pm »

Well, if I added a cap I'd prefer it to be something like 10 or 15, as they were optimized with medium-large worlds in mind. A better solution might be to lower the littersize of their breeding "halfling" castes.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: September 28, 2013, 01:59:35 pm »

I already like the world I am generating.  It hasn't even been 100 years, and on the northern and southern halves of the lizardfolk territory, they are building whole lines of fortresses.  And I don't mean loose lines in which there is distance between the forts, no I mean they actually building the forts right next to each other, and to make it more interesting, there is not a single fort outside of those two lines.  I have never seen this.  There is apparently another in the north doing the exact same thing...and no others are doing this.  Did this happen in earlier version?  I wasn't paying much attention then.  If so, then there is something about the way forts are placed...or DF made them into one of the most strategic races.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: September 28, 2013, 02:03:02 pm »

I've never seen Lizardfolk, or anyone else, do that. Strategically, it would actually be better to space forts out and have some within the rest of the territory, but it is most curious. Please upload the save, I want to see these "Great Walls"

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: September 28, 2013, 02:08:51 pm »

Well, if I added a cap I'd prefer it to be something like 10 or 15, as they were optimized with medium-large worlds in mind. A better solution might be to lower the littersize of their breeding "halfling" castes.

Your current civ cap is 10 and if you gen a medium world with "Create New World!" (tested five) that typically makes them present in every region of the world (they're ANY_LAND). So if the intent is that they're unusual this is not the case for medium worlds and if the intent is that they're found everywhere, this is how it is already. You definitely don't need more.

Also, while the breeding rate is super duper high, making them breed less would make it less deterministic. Isn't that the inferior solution? Let's say you want there to be 5 monasteries in the world. Isn't it better to know you're going to get 5 (high survivability, cap 5) than aim for 1-10 (variable survivability, cap 10)?

Again, I don't see this as a problem or a bug, it just kind of conflicts with my earlier image of them as something rare and unique in the world.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: September 28, 2013, 02:19:33 pm »

I just don't know how to explain it. Few of them spawn in the worlds I run, with 10-15 in large worlds, and 1-2 in small worlds, but you're getting them everywhere. All I can say is, if you're doing something like 45 civs in a small world, then adjusting it for that would wreck it for normal parameters.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: September 28, 2013, 02:24:55 pm »

I guess it could be due to chance. The mentioned five trials were "Create New World!", all other settings unadjusted, size medium.

There's also one more factor that affects it. I typically aim for "pangaea" style worlds for easy adventuring and reject ones with separate islands and continents manually. This may weigh down civilizations that go to war (?).

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: September 28, 2013, 02:25:16 pm »

How do the cherubim tend to do in comparison to these new races?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: September 28, 2013, 02:27:47 pm »

I've never seen Lizardfolk, or anyone else, do that. Strategically, it would actually be better to space forts out and have some within the rest of the territory, but it is most curious. Please upload the save, I want to see these "Great Walls"

They stopped after around 100 years, but still...

Since I'm just using the default putnam files, so using the gen parameters shouldn't result in anything different:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: September 28, 2013, 02:29:18 pm »

In all five worlds, the one Daemonic cherub civilization that you've permitted has survived to the default end year.

Should the capitalization be "Daemonic Cherub"? Because now it may show up as "Daemonic cherub Dark Fortress".

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: September 28, 2013, 02:39:52 pm »

I guess it could be due to chance. The mentioned five trials were "Create New World!", all other settings unadjusted, size medium.

There's also one more factor that affects it. I typically aim for "pangaea" style worlds for easy adventuring and reject ones with separate islands and continents manually. This may weigh down civilizations that go to war (?).

Even if a civ gets wiped out, their sites should still show up as ruins. They can't actually be wiped off the map, leaving nothing.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 261