Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485823 times)

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2790 on: November 01, 2013, 04:55:58 pm »

I realized that we haven't had a proper playtest turn in a while, so I thought I'd step up to the challenge.  I'm going to be playing the latest raws from the GitHub master branch, probably as lizardfolk because they don't seem to have received much playtesting.

Already noticed one bug: the "make zirecon bars" reaction in ZtG's "new cheap metals" patch has a typo in the reagent/product names, causing DF to complain in the error log. Fixed and pushed to GitHub.

Genning a medium world with all default settings now.  Quite a few rejects in the civ placement stage, but after 20 failures it's now generating history.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here are the worldgen params, history, sites and the world map.

Looking at the history dump, I'm struck by how the names are a mixture of the inspired and the inane, even more so than in vanilla.  For instance, the spider-centaur civilization "The Tit of Minds" worships "Secrete the Secret Secrets of Secret", a god of the stars, the night and dreams. ::)  On the other hand, the very same civ also worships the death god "Skull the Lethal Reaper", a god of deformity named "Moto the Pock of Foul", and "Khur Liemisty the Secret Traitor of Evil", a god of treachery, lies and trickery.

I also rather like this list of troll gods:
  Reaver, deity: victory, war
  Homewood, deity: nature, water
  Sniffer Blademurders, deity: revenge
  Badland Vinetits the Tricksy Beards, deity: freedom, hunting
  Gall, deity: trade, wealth, the wind, the sky

Dunno what to think about the halfling civ names.  I'd love to know what went through this one particular civ's founders' minds when they decided to name themselves "The Flowering Idiots". :P

Also, apparently the clockworkers speak French. ???

Tried to find a good region to embark in, since I want to see if the happy weather finally works.  They're pretty scarce, though, except for one ocean and this rather inappropriately named glacier:

Finally found a reasonable-looking embark spot.  It's not really what I imagine as typical lizardfolk habitat, but it's got a good-aligned forest, a brook and some mountains.  It should do.

Also, as a bonus, those purple "I"s are clockworker towers, so I might get to meet them too.

Looks like the French is rapidly becoming the lingua franca of the local lizardfolk civ:

Here's what the game initially suggests I should bring.  Looks like the cheap metals are working, at least in this respect:

Looks like I can embark with some "liquid". ???  Also, nest boxes can apparently be made from coal and "unmined copper".  Is that intentional?

Anyway, here are my final embark choices:

And here's Putnam's fortressintro announcement in action:

...and here's what the place actually looks like:

It's getting pretty late, so I think I'll continue the actual game tomorrow.  See you until then.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:33:38 pm by vyznev »
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: November 01, 2013, 08:24:49 pm »

QUICK! CHECK IF THE TEA WORKS!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: November 01, 2013, 09:06:29 pm »

Looks like I can embark with some "liquid". ???  Also, nest boxes can apparently be made from coal and "unmined copper".  Is that intentional?

It's getting pretty late, so I think I'll continue the actual game tomorrow.  See you until then.

"Liquid" is a vanilla problem, AFAIK.

And the coal and "unmined copper" tools look like they are the equivalent of lignite/bituminous coal or native copper tools in vanilla, it's just the way the materials are named.

That said, best of luck with your play-testing!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: November 01, 2013, 09:26:08 pm »

I realized that we haven't had a proper playtest turn in a while, so I thought I'd step up to the challenge.  I'm going to be playing the latest raws from the GitHub master branch, probably as lizardfolk because they don't seem to have received much playtesting.

Oh hey, that's cool.  I was about to create one myself.  Twice as much testing!

Jikhatbal Khabarimalnebkarat, Captain of the Guard and Chieftan of Dragonsdeath
Worshiper of Lokhal Darlingprecious, god of marriage and birth.
Worshiper of Reaper Skull Reaper, the creator of Deadlydeath and god of day, suicide, and death
Messages to the Tactical Squad #304, the High Command, and sources which will remain unnamed for security reasons.

Date: Opal 28, 199
Spoiler: Enclosed Image (click to show/hide)
Grand Shaman has determined the location of the final artifact.

Date: Obsidian 13, 199
Expeditionary party determined.  I am chosen to lead.  Entering with two others from my squad, one civilian, and three prisoners.

Date: Obsidian 17, 199
Briefing on artifact.  Little known.
Spoiler: Enclosed Image 1 (click to show/hide)
Given locations on wherein to place the wagon, and the dig site location.
Spoiler: Enclosed Image 2 (click to show/hide)
Temporary lift on tradition.  Walls can be constructed.  Mission deemed too critical.  Response by all other non-lizardfolk nations determined to be highly hostile.

Date: Obsidian 20, 199
Left primary encampment.  Heading towards site.

Date: Granite 1, 200
We have arrived.  Guise of a prison camp is holding.  Wagon became stuck, so main buildings will have to be short distance from site.

-Nevermind what was here, I apparently got a pre-fix download-
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:49:46 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: November 01, 2013, 10:29:55 pm »

I hope both playtests last long and go well. My bugfixes should be in a finished state by either Saturday or Sunday.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: November 01, 2013, 11:10:20 pm »

@Gnorm's proposed changes: I looked over my raws and realized I had them still set to be appointed by "MONARCH" and not "QUEEN"...heh...this is embarrassing.

The only change in yours I dislike is the land name of "a regency hive" as that reminds me of a certain genre of romance novels for some reason. Just "Hive" would be a better option in my opinion :) Thanks for looking that over.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Zorg Master Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: November 01, 2013, 11:14:59 pm »

Since I didn't realize that there were going to be 2 play tests already, I made my own before either of the other two began. Oh well, more testing.

From the journal of Lord Xyon:

It is time for us to begin our expedition. I have decided to build a city for our civilization. Just to show my confidence, I have chosen the most sinister lands known to us. And just to show how much temerity I really have, I will build it right next to a centaur fortress. I could only seem to find 6 people willing to volunteer for some reason.

While we were getting ready, I noticed that the man in charge of supplies simply didn't know what he was packing. When I took a look at the list, the items that caught my eye were:

I am going to bring them anyway. He probably knows what he's doing.

1st Granite, 251

We have finally arrived on top of a hill.

I think we should build our town down there.

13 Felsite, 251

This city is going to be the greatest underground complex in the world! There haven't been any problems yet. Progress in the mines have stopped in favor of digging the complex.

25 Hematite, 251

Migrants! Finally some extra help. 2 of them were metalworkers, so I should probably get some metal going.

18 Malachite, 251

Everyone has been sleeping in the dirt. Production of beds is top priority. Actually, MY bed is top priority, the rest can be made later.

20 Malachite, 251

I have just noticed that all of the arrows that were brought with us have been wasted on shooting squid swimming around.

7 Galena, 251

Finally got the well built. Now perhaps people will drink from that instead. Can't have vomit all over the glorious city.

17 Galena, 251

It seems that no one really knows what it was that we brought, because the bag full of nothing is still in the wagon.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: November 01, 2013, 11:20:04 pm »

The only change in yours I dislike is the land name of "a regency hive" as that reminds me of a certain genre of romance novels for some reason. Just "Hive" would be a better option in my opinion :) Thanks for looking that over.
No problem, I'll go with your suggestion. Since they should now act as ordinary land-holders, I presumed that the message that indicates that your fortress's status has risen would look silly without an actual name.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: November 01, 2013, 11:34:34 pm »

Well then, could someone bump up Zirecon's melting point to copper's melting point?  Apparently, zirecon melts in 'hot' temperature biomes.  Because of this, my whole world needs to be regenerated, so my previous turn I put up should be ignored as I start up another.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: November 02, 2013, 06:12:27 am »

Done.  Yeah, 10000 °U is probably a pretty low melting point for a metal, even a cheap one.  (It's just about right for ice, though.)

I also copied the fixed raws into my initial savegame for the playtest, and it looks like at least so far the zirecon hasn't melted.

Started by ordering a clearing to be made in the forest, so that we get some wood and room for building.

It's kind of weird starting the game with a noble, but since my usual embark style is to assign one person as the leader/admin type anyway, it doesn't really make that much difference.  Made the best of the situation anyway, and assigned her to all the vacant roles:

I'll have to build her some quarters ASAP, though.  I think a bed, a table and a chair just placed outdoors should do for now.

Anyway, here are the initial seven lizardfolk:

I'm noticing some odd-ish preferences here, including "river squid keratin" (do squid really have that?), "cloud of insects" (apparently a material??), "crystalized soul" (what's that?) and something called "n/a" which, apparently, is supposed to be a drink.  I think that last one at least counts as a bug.  Also, and this is a really minor issue, but there's some inconsistent capitalization in some places like prefstrings and creature names.  It's completely harmless, but it just sort of bugs me. :-\

Also, speaking of minor issues, there's always spelling / typos.  For example, I think the "whom" in the lizardfolk description should just be "who" (it's not referring to the object of the sentence), and I'm not sure if the "chieftan" noble name is really supposed to be "chieftain" or not.  Also, "serated" -> "serrated".

Yay, it's raining liquid sunshine! :D

The lizardfolk don't seem to appreciate this unusual weather phenomenon much.  They'd probably just prefer plain ordinary rain.

Alerted by the freakish weather, I have decided to prioritize the excavation of an underground shelter.  We may not be the mythical dwarves, but we brought that expensive mining equipment for a reason, and this disgusting rain definitely qualifies as a reason to use it!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 08:10:19 am by vyznev »
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: November 02, 2013, 12:13:22 pm »

Okay then, here is going to be my new testing turn.

Journal of Champion Blancheros, Captain of the Guard of the Outpost Domainerouge
Worshiper of Bulle the Bubbling Bubble, God of Coasts

Granite 1, 223 WC, 1 AW
It has been suggested to me by the mayor that I keep this journal in order to chronicle the story of the military of this outpost.  Might as well put the location in as well.

This area is not one we would normally consider for habitation.  However, our recent war four years ago that resulted in our annihilation of the clockwork entity towards our northern border took its toll.  We barely have any metal ores remaining for us to construct new weaponry.  So, this expedition was set-up to collect new ores and construct weaponry to send back with the caravans.  I sincerely have very little doubt that someone is going to be coming for us soon.  Thankfully, I managed to scrounge up a few longbows and arrows left over, as well as a recently trained doctor and two after-war recruits.  I will write further whenever the we have the some buildings set-up.  I do not want to have to put up with the Chieftain's complaining any more than I need to.

Edit: Can someone please tell me why coal is not registering as a fuel source?  Oh, and another reaction is needed for the Lizardkin to burn wood, because for some unknown reason, creating a wood furnace, rather than using wood burner as I was expecting, instead uses a  metalsmithing job.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:22:32 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: November 02, 2013, 12:37:14 pm »

Edit: Can someone please tell me why coal is not registering as a fuel source?

Did you try making coke from it first?  That's how it works in vanilla, at least.  Didn't get around to trying that in my playtest yet, but I noticed the issue.

Oh, and the inability to burn wood, if true, is going to be a problem at least for me, since I didn't bring any coke or charcoal to kickstart the production.  Oh well, maybe I can trade for it.  (Ps. patches gladly accepted.)

Anyway, I won't be continuing my playtest today, since I don't have the save on this computer.  Will try to test tea and metalworking tomorrow.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: November 02, 2013, 01:05:23 pm »

To have lizardkin use charcoal/ash/potash:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:LIZARDKIN_20_ZTG]
[NAME:burn wood into charcoal]
[BUILDING:LIZARDKIN_FORGE_ZTG:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:3:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:TOOL:FIRESTARTER_ZTG:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:COAL:CHARCOAL:NONE:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[PRODUCT:50:1:COAL:CHARCOAL:NONE:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[PRODUCT:25:1:COAL:CHARCOAL:NONE:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:WOOD_BURNING]

[REACTION:LIZARDKIN_21_ZTG]
[NAME:burn wood into ash]
[BUILDING:LIZARDKIN_FORGE_ZTG:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:2:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:TOOL:FIRESTARTER_ZTG:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:75:1:ASH:NONE:NONE:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[PRODUCT:75:1:POTASH:NONE:NONE:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[PRODUCT:25:1:ASH:NONE:NONE:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[PRODUCT:25:1:POTASH:NONE:NONE:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:WOOD_BURNING]

[REACTION:LIZARDKIN_22_ZTG]
[NAME:craft firestarter]
[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:2:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:FIRESTARTER_ZTG:NONE:NONE]
[SKILL:WOODCRAFT]

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_TOOL:FIRESTARTER_ZTG]
[TILE:219]
[NAME:firestarter:firestarters]
[SIZE:100]

I'm not 100% certain whether I made the tool interaction right, though...

Edit: Getting errors about unrecognized tokens on the 20 and 21 reactions.  Doesn't recognize coal:charcoal, ash, and potash as valid.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:17:34 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: November 02, 2013, 02:26:58 pm »

River squid keratin and cuttler bone? Likely because the cephalopods use the standard material BDP without having other bits removed. They don't actually have either of those tissues in their bodies, but they're in the bdp's they use, so they can show up in preferences. To remove, we add removal tokens to every cephalopod.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: November 02, 2013, 03:45:44 pm »

Also, speaking of minor issues, there's always spelling / typos.  For example, I think the "whom" in the lizardfolk description should just be "who" (it's not referring to the object of the sentence)[...]
You are correct.

However, our recent war four years ago that resulted in our annihilation of the clockwork entity towards our northern border took its toll.
Has their presence in the world been completely destroyed, or just the one civilization?
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 261