Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 490885 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2910 on: November 21, 2013, 01:58:18 am »

Excellent, I think I'll do a play-turn of this version.

EDIT: You did not include my text and speech files; this will have to be fixed. On a positive note, I did appreciate the baskervills.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:40:18 am by Gnorm »
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: November 21, 2013, 07:11:45 am »

here is the latest update. Sorry it took so long but I think it should be worth it ( I hope).

Got it. GitHub update coming soon.

EDIT:The game is complaining about not finding NOSEBILL and MOUTHBILL body glosses. I'm just going to add those in manually.
EDIT: You did not include my text and speech files; this will have to be fixed. On a positive note, I did appreciate the baskervills.

OK, looks like there will be some merging to do.  I'll try to make sure that the final GitHub version has everything from both turns.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:12:08 am by vyznev »
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: November 21, 2013, 11:12:21 am »

...aaaand it's there.  Feel free to browse the repo or download the .zip file.

To get the Kopout's and Gnorm's raws merged properly, I ended up starting with Kopout's raws from DFFS and basically reapplying all changes in the GitHub master branch since Putnam's turn on top of them.  Here's a handly link showing what actually changed on the master branch as a result of this merge.

I also ran another spellcheck on the raws and fixed one minor bug I happened to spot that caused stink dogs to emit "smoke" instead of "stink".

Also, to make future merges easier, I decided to turn on a special Git feature that automatically expands the tag "$Id$" in files to something like "$Id: 774df473ada032118d3e66ca91fe87a834cf4195 $", where the random hex string changes every time the file is changed in Git.  (In case you're curious, the hex string is the SHA-1 hash of the file contents, excluding the hex string itself.)  This means that, if you download a tagged file from GitHub and edit it, I can (fairly) easily tell which revision of the file on GitHub it came from, which in turn makes it less likely that it accidentally gets reverted to an older version in a merge.  It's currently enabled only for .txt files in the raw/objects folder, and I added such a tag to all of them.

Ps. Kopout, do you think adding [VERMIN_HATEABLE] to stink dogs would be a good idea?  (AFAIK, despite the name, it doesn't actually make them vermin -- treelords have it, and they seem to work just fine.)  We don't have a lot of hateable creatures currently.
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: November 22, 2013, 05:47:48 pm »

It's time for a Fortress Mode play-test of kopout's new raws. Here hoping this settlement goes better than Mastertea did.

Excerpt from the Journal of Dirt Championblue, Manager of The Masters of Battle and Oldgreen:

1st Granite, 501

I should have listened to my family. I could have gotten a simple job carving out pipes for my home village, make a modest profit, and manage to retire with a wife and children, smoking everyday on my porch and playing my fiddle before bed. Instead, I made the foolish decision to brave the dangers of the world looking for fame and fortune. Wave Pastold had similar desires as mine, and was putting together a trade caravan to travel the world in. She approached me personally, claiming that she needed “smart men to crunch the numbers for a woman such as her.” I thought this was my chance for adventure, so I readily agreed, and was dragged along with all the other halflings foolish enough to accompany her.

The caravan was a disaster from the very start. Wave took nothing of value with her for trade, so we were unable to find any actual clients. Yet she was persistent, and we continued to travel further and further away from our civilization in search of buyers. Eventually, we found ourselves hit hard by winter, which slowed us down severely and caused our wagon to weaken severely. Eventually, the inevitable happened and the wheels gave out, right in the middle of this forest near the central mountain ranges.

Here I have attempted, as best as I could, to depict our current location:

The following sketch comes directly from our national atlas:

My initial idea was to grab our pack beetle immediately with some food and ride it to the nearest Formic hive, but the animal is too tired and frostbitten to be of any use to me. The only thing we can do, I told Wave, is build proper lodgings for ourselves and to hope we can survive in this wilderness until we are found. Wave’s small mind, quite clearly, began to form ideas as soon as I told her this, and she declared then that she was the proud mayor of this Halfling settlement, which she called: “Oldgreen.” She wants a proper town hall for her “office,” and demands that we get to constructing it immediately.

Since we never had any customers or sales to record, I never actually used this book. For this reason, I have decided to use it as a journal, so that if anyone ever comes across the pathetic ruins of a small outpost in the woods, he will know what happened here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: November 22, 2013, 06:51:35 pm »

Excerpt from the Journal of Dirt Championblue, Manager of The Masters of Battle and Oldgreen:

1st Hematite, 501

This past month has, unexpectedly, fairly well. The winter ice has finally thawed, and our pack beetle, that has been adopted by our hunter and named Blue Wavefield, has recovered from its frostbite. It now runs around with its owner, occasionally bumping into our workers.

Here is my best drawing of the pack beetle:

Out of fear for the next winter, we have built a well and a cistern beneath the earth, away from the cold outside air.

Copy of the floor plan, including halflings:

Two small houses have been built so far. Each one is designed to hold two halflings and a chest for their things. It isn’t much, but we’re not trying to build a metropolis in these woods.

Rough sketch of the two homes, next to the entrance to the well area:

A small mine has been dug to obtain stone for our constructions and for our crafts, for many of us have taken to making pipes and fiddles in our spare time to combat the boredom. Interestingly enough, the mayor, to whom I have begun to take a liking, mandated that we construct her three rock slabs. After we did so, she ordered us not to “export” them. I sincerely wonder to whom she was fearing that we would “export” them.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: November 22, 2013, 07:53:47 pm »

Important knowledge for Gnorm! Don't build a lumberyard unless you go into my reactions and make prepare cave lemons not automatic. For some reason it accepts any log. This can cause infinite loops and produces incendiary lemons.  So not only dose it cause the lumberyard to be useless it also produces fire.

I didn't find this out till after I uploaded.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:55:33 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: November 22, 2013, 08:10:39 pm »

Important knowledge for Gnorm! Don't build a lumberyard unless you go into my reactions and make prepare cave lemons not automatic. For some reason it accepts any log. This can cause infinite loops and produces incendiary lemons.  So not only dose it cause the lumberyard to be useless it also produces fire.

I didn't find this out till after I uploaded.

I think I found out why.

The plant is called LEMON_CAVE_KPT but the reaction calls for CAVE_LEMON_KPT

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: November 22, 2013, 08:29:23 pm »

Ah, thank you. That could have been bad. I can't seem to download the GIThub version so I'll upload a version with some bug fixes but without the newest stuff.
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: November 23, 2013, 04:12:42 pm »

26th Malachite, 501

A small group of halflings was spotted today, making haste towards our small settlement. At first, I thought that we were saved, but I quickly realized that they were as stranded as we are. Apparently, they are the remnants of a bandit group that had been trailing us for weeks before being caught in the harsh winter. They must have been as good at banditry as we were at caravan trading, otherwise they would have looted us and been able to return home. Blade, who recently won our general election to become the new mayor, decided that, because they would have nothing to gain from looting us now, we should accept them into our society as workers. I'm still keeping an eye on them.

Updated roster of denizens:

In the meantime, construction of the town hall, more houses, and a food cellar is underway. Traps have also been set in various areas of the settlement, for we have seen a baskervill wandering about in the northern section of the forest. If that beast gets too close, we'll probably all die.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: November 23, 2013, 05:18:12 pm »

What the heck is a Baskervill?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: November 23, 2013, 07:06:26 pm »

I suppose you'll get an answer soon, but if I had to take a (nigh baseless and rather unlikely) guess, maybe something to do with "The Hound of the Baskervilles"? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hound_of_the_Baskervilles). A quick Google search redirected to "Baskervill" which is a place/ business, but showing results for "Baskervil" shows mainly dog related images/pages. So (unless the name is unimportant/ a reference to something else) my first guess is that its some kind of doggy.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2921 on: November 23, 2013, 07:12:54 pm »

This can cause infinite loops and produces incendiary lemons.

I love this thread.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: November 23, 2013, 07:22:05 pm »

I suppose you'll get an answer soon, but if I had to take a (nigh baseless and rather unlikely) guess, maybe something to do with "The Hound of the Baskervilles"? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hound_of_the_Baskervilles). A quick Google search redirected to "Baskervill" which is a place/ business, but showing results for "Baskervil" shows mainly dog related images/pages. So (unless the name is unimportant/ a reference to something else) my first guess is that its some kind of doggy.

Indeed, a very large dog. They are lethal in the arena and routinely kill bears. They are the size of an English mastiff and have natural skill in bite and dodge. They will kill you if you go up against them with out armor and weapons. I recommend you bring mastiffs with you on embark they have the same stats and are your only hope will no doubt be useful in many circumstances, especial this one.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:24:10 pm by kopout »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: November 23, 2013, 07:58:42 pm »

Well, in the novel it refers to a bit of English Folklore about black ghost dogs that roam the countryside.

EDIT: Also since when do we have Bears?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:00:59 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: November 23, 2013, 08:02:35 pm »

We have talking bears don't we?
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 261