Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 493171 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #3825 on: April 30, 2014, 06:08:25 am »

My name was mentioned.

Sorry, people. I was in the hospital for a time, and after coming back, well, I decided to make a change, that I don't want to do video games every day. I started working really hard on my studies and forgot to come here for a long time. I just assumed this had died.

Instead you've made some new, wonderful things, and the project keeps on going. Makes me feel ashamed that I should be a negative influence on this. Looking at what has happened it seems a system of free contribution is more fruitful in the long run than one of turns. The turn-based thing frequently lead to frustration.

The downside is, without organization and testing, it would be extremely laborous to cobble what has been posted into a new release, unless people are willing to post a list of what they have tested in-game and works. For example, most of the designs posted on the last few pages don't work, since they use vanilla templates.

Making a new thread would be sane. This is one of the longest threads in this forum. It has a lot of history and extremely good material, but is also the length of a book. Alternatively, if you want to keep it going I can give control of this account to e.g. StL and HugoL, the people who've been active and interested in this since the beginning, for purposes of maintaining this thread. I can always make a new one, I'm not particularly attached to names.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: April 30, 2014, 09:27:49 am »

Well, not playing video games every day doesn't mean you can't check up on the forums :P

But seriously, sorry you were hospitalized and glad you got better. Things got a bit...shall we say, fluid, in your absence. With exams coming up, I might lack the time to adequately manage the thread (I guess a little is better than nothing though), so turning over the keys to Hugo might be wiser, if he doesn't have anything going on for him. If he does, though, a joint management might work, splitting the work between us.

Compiling all the recent stuff might be too much effort for how long it'd be usable for. I mean, DF2014 (there's probably error bars on that number) is coming out at some point very soon, and there'll be some pretty extensive raw changes coming, what with the separation of combat speed and movement speed, the inclusion of jumping and climbing, multi-tile trees, a tracking system, a basic system of smell (if I interpreted the devlog right), and all the rest. Thinking over it, it might actually make more sense to start over from scratch again. That's practically what we would be doing anyways. Plus, it would give us a chance to further refine our improvements, like the taxonomy classes, and add a few - with the proliferation of body parts in everyone's body raws, I was toying with the idea of making a sort of Body Building Kit, lego minifigure style, of a bunch of basic body parts, ie BODY_2EYES, BODY_1EYE, BODY_3EYES, BODY_2EYES_CHEST, BODY_1EYE_CHEST... that sort of thing. It'd help make body tissue layers and stuff easier since everything would have the same class (it's a problem I've been bumping into trying to set up inorganics in my spare time).

It'd have to be a group decision, though. Chucking the work we've all done and starting over again is a big move, and even with my ideas I'm still a little leery of it.

Now, that being said...

@Dwarf4Explosives: A taxonomic list would be cool to have. If you want to do it, I see no issues with having one :)
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: April 30, 2014, 10:01:51 am »

Well, considering I haven't made any contributions, and aren't all that familiar with the raws we have now anyway, I'd be okay with starting over.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: April 30, 2014, 03:38:47 pm »

I'd be OK with a new thread (though I myself am in college, so I can't take over fully) We might want to wait on that until DF2014 comes out, though. In the meantime, perhaps someone can reserve a couple posts right here to be the new center of compilation, and then Halfling could just link to them in the OP.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: May 01, 2014, 05:35:35 am »

Sorry to hear about the hospitalization, Halfling.

At any rate, I'd say we should start with a new thread for DF2014. I think the best way for us to deal with the changes is to make a list of what creatures have been looked over (and perhaps changed) and which still need to be. If we can compile a list of traits that have changed in the change to DF2014, it'll be a lot easier.

I don't think changing all of the body plans is a good idea, though. I do agree that we should remake the creature and syndrome classes, however. I guess my list will come in handy with that.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: May 01, 2014, 03:43:42 pm »

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about the hospitalization Halfling.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:17:43 pm by Urdothor »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: May 02, 2014, 04:18:09 am »

Thanks. No more sorries, please. I should have come here and said something.

Sending over the passwords for thread administration to both. We're a trinity now, in principle.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: May 02, 2014, 10:51:05 am »

Well then, looks like it's time to start rounding up submissions.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: May 02, 2014, 01:23:16 pm »

May I ask why you were hospitalized Halfling?

Also @HugoLuman: have I actually submitted anything?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: May 02, 2014, 02:46:57 pm »

Umm, just find any raws you've made and post them again. If they work we'll go ahead and count them I guess.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #3835 on: May 02, 2014, 07:51:54 pm »

Topaz ants work... can they get added?

Ants:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Topaz:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:54:53 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: May 02, 2014, 07:59:29 pm »

Sure. Keep stuff coming!

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: May 02, 2014, 10:27:23 pm »

Has anyone actually added anything to the wikis in a while, or should we just strike them from the OP? It's been bugging me a while.

Also, @Kaladin: Minor typo in your creature description; that comma should be a period, to make the description read: "An ant made of pure topaz. They capture the souls of the dead and create statues from them." Otherwise, pretty cool! Any plans for what those souls will be useful for?
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Scarlet

• Escaped Lunatic
  • 道可道非常道
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: May 03, 2014, 04:15:14 am »

The wikis might be immensely useful if used, especially if used right from the outset. Note how hard it is to find posts now. However, not one has gained a following. It might be time to strike all but one at least.
I once ruled over an entire world, and some fortresses, too.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: May 03, 2014, 01:16:33 pm »

Sounds good to me.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 261