Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Barrels of blood!  (Read 13720 times)

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
Barrels of blood!
« on: June 21, 2013, 01:00:22 pm »

Do these serve a purpose at all? Merchants always have them and I skip over to get to the alcohol, but can they be used for anything?
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrels of blood!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 01:03:02 pm »

No, not even to feed vampires, as they can only drink blood from unconcious animals. In the future they may be able to be useful (to make blood rivers and the like), but now, they serve absolutely no purpose except for occupiyng barrels.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 01:26:46 pm »

I mod blood to have [EDIBLE_COOKED] so that I can use them for black pudding.  Plus, barrel.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:32:46 pm »

I think there may be a dfhack command to prevent merchants from bringing blood barrels and other useless extracts. Maybe once we get something akin to alchemy, they'll have a proper use.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 01:49:54 pm »

Dump those barrels, or rather the blood from them. Free barrels.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 02:15:56 pm »

I remember seeing someone posting a story where both the local wildlife and the dwarven trader had pissed them off, so she requested giant grizzly bear blood as a priority from the merchants.  I can see where that would be useful to make yourself feel better at least.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 02:20:23 pm »

I think there may be a dfhack command to prevent merchants from bringing blood barrels and other useless extracts. Maybe once we get something akin to alchemy, they'll have a proper use.

Not a pre-built command, but a script.  I think it was by Urist DaVinci?  It removes blood, ichor, fish extracts, "liquid", etc. from the trade goods so they may not be brought at trade.  Another I saw removed such things as Prepared Mosquito Brains.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 03:24:32 pm »

Dump those barrels, or rather the blood from them. Free barrels.
Even better, build a temple to armok and designate it as a dump zone. Blood to the Blood God
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 04:21:22 pm »

You can use them in two-step shotgun if you're still using item-shooting ones instead of liquid-powered.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 07:59:16 pm »

Not a pre-built command, but a script.  I think it was by Urist DaVinci?  It removes blood, ichor, fish extracts, "liquid", etc. from the trade goods so they may not be brought at trade.  Another I saw removed such things as Prepared Mosquito Brains.

Here it is: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166.msg4246062#msg4246062

Save the script as a .lua file and put it in \hack\scripts. Then type in the file name (minus the .lua part) to activate the command.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 11:29:25 am »

yeah, pretty useless without modding, except for the venoms. If you dump those on the ground I think it will infect shoe-less dwarves/invaders. I remember I tested this at one point, but I'm not sure which version it was.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 01:55:39 pm »

Oooh, is that so?

It's too bad the only contact syndromes are gnomeblight and cave blob fluid, or I'd order up barrels of Giant Desert Scorpion venom and coat my entryway with it.

I should do Science and see if coating an upright spike or weapon trap with venom allows it to transmit.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 02:05:49 pm »

I should do Science and see if coating an upright spike or weapon trap with venom allows it to transmit.
I hear (from Loud Whispers) that it works as long as the weapon penetrates skin, and remains contaminated. He also says that having the item on the floor, with a venomous creature injecting it into another creature very close, will cause the venom to occasionally spray on the walls and flood (apparently, they are messy). Although dumping barrels of venom onto a weaponstockpile might be easier.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 02:22:10 pm »

I, for one, welcome our new venom mist generating overlords!

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 02:32:50 pm »

I, for one, welcome our new venom mist generating overlords!
That won't work. Only magma and water are true "liquids." Everything else are contaminants. So right now, you can't have a pools of blood, just pools of water contaminated with blood.

Now, mist of water coming from a contaminated pool of water, yes. I do wonder though, is the contaminant carried in the mist too. Would an on-contact syndrome contaminant in water-mist affect dwarves?...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4