Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Barrels of blood!  (Read 13708 times)

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrels of blood!
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2013, 05:59:52 pm »

Interesting fact: if you leave out the SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS line, it will affect EVERY SINGLE CREATURE.

You could add [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:DWARF] and make dwarves immune, but that would be dumb.
In my experience, which isn't very much, removing the affected class makes it do nothing.
I had a perfectly deadly syndrome, then after some tweaking accidently left that out. Suddenly its harmless. I add it back, and its suddenly deadly again.

I agree, dwarves shouldn't be immune. It makes it less dangerous. When you flood the lower chamber with magma, you do it knowing any dwarf still inside is a lost cause.

Future mods would include adding plants required to produce posions, and adding more. I planned to modify GCS extract to be a potential posion for it.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 12:16:40 am »

Interesting fact: if you leave out the SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS line, it will affect EVERY SINGLE CREATURE.

You could add [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:DWARF] and make dwarves immune, but that would be dumb.
In my experience, which isn't very much, removing the affected class makes it do nothing.
I had a perfectly deadly syndrome, then after some tweaking accidently left that out. Suddenly its harmless. I add it back, and its suddenly deadly again.

I agree, dwarves shouldn't be immune. It makes it less dangerous. When you flood the lower chamber with magma, you do it knowing any dwarf still inside is a lost cause.

Future mods would include adding plants required to produce posions, and adding more. I planned to modify GCS extract to be a potential posion for it.

Is it possible to create "antidote" plants or resources? Limit their usage to a special class of doctor?
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 01:50:03 am »

I would think it'd just be a matter of making a syndrom that removed other, or a specific, syndroms.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 01:59:59 am »

I would think it'd just be a matter of making a syndrom that removed other, or a specific, syndroms.

Yeah, but the reaction to make the antidote in a workshop. Which workshop and which skill? or would it be a custom shop?
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 10:58:38 am »

The problem isn't making the antidote, i dont think. The problem is getting the dwarves to use it. The only way I can think of is a sort of "Sterilization chamber" where the dwarves go in, and get gassed with the antidote (also an extract that boils easily w/ a custom reaction). The alternative is to make it a food item and just pray your infected dwarves happen to have a hankering for antidote stew.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 01:23:26 pm »

You could make it an effect from being cleaned with soap, right? Pretty much every injured dwarf gets cleaned if they go to the hospital.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 02:17:34 pm »

I don't actually think there's any way to get the soap itself to transmit. Perhaps a contact syndrome, but I don't even know if it would be properly transmitted in solid state.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2013, 01:48:44 am »

The problem isn't making the antidote, i dont think. The problem is getting the dwarves to use it. The only way I can think of is a sort of "Sterilization chamber" where the dwarves go in, and get gassed with the antidote (also an extract that boils easily w/ a custom reaction). The alternative is to make it a food item and just pray your infected dwarves happen to have a hankering for antidote stew.

Or else a doctor dwarf deal with it.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2013, 11:15:40 am »

AFAIK the healthcare stuff is fairly unmoddable, so doctor dwarves won't deal with it any differently than they would in any other case. With syndromes that tends to be clean the wounds and treat the symptoms but not the disease. So they'll keep patching up your dwarf as his body rots from severe necrosis syndrome but they won't stop the necrosis. I think.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2013, 11:16:53 am »

No dwarven transfusions?

Damn... I wanted to see how long it took a legendary Pumper, on screwpump, to pump all the blood from an elephant into a dwarf!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:19:03 am by Porpoisepower »
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2013, 11:27:26 am »

sorry. I'm not an expert on the healthcare stuff, but I don't think so. Only dwarven transfusion I know is a bone transfusion... bot those are usually done with bolts.... at velocity. Mixed results.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2013, 11:34:49 am »

sorry. I'm not an expert on the healthcare stuff, but I don't think so. Only dwarven transfusion I know is a bone transfusion... bot those are usually done with bolts.... at velocity. Mixed results.

Ha!
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]