Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taking parts of the mod?  (Read 1109 times)

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taking parts of the mod?
« on: June 22, 2013, 03:16:16 am »

Hello DF-Modding community!

First of all thanks to the creator of MASTERWORK! I really enjoy this mod.

But since I mostly play adventure mode, I don't need more than half of the stuff included :(
Using the mod itself and selecting adventure mode requires really long loading times and lags very much.

All I want in my adventure mode are the new weapons, races, materials and reactions. Well I thought just copying the "objects" folder into my regular DF folder and rewriting/adding the stuff I am missing will do it.

I created a new world and thought I was on an acid trip. I don't know wether this is known bug but some tiles flashed in every imaginable colour. I walked over it and tried to "g"rab some of the flashy dust and suddenly I was able to pick up "declare war" or "undead corpse". When I pressed escape and tried to "g"rab again on the same tile, I could pick up other stuff "yellow bricks" for example. It seems to shuffle a thousand items randomly over one tile...
Well and I can't tan a hide or make thread which is required for most of the reactions.

I wonder if someone can help me make my objects folder working.

Thanks in advance.
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Taking parts of the mod?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 03:47:16 am »

Your flickering floor is caused by not having any soils, so it takes ALL inorganics to fill all soils.

Taking apart small pieces of the mod can be done, but you need some modding experience for it, since many things rely on other parts. I always wanted to offer modules that you can put into vanilla df, but after having a look at how much work that would be, I decided against it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 04:50:42 am »

If I only wanted to copy the weapons, races/entities  + the reactions/materials from "Wanderer's Friend", will the new weapons like "pair of fist daggers" or "scythe" be made of the old metals? I know that this can take some time, but I love the new weapons' attacks and stuff!
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 03:20:55 pm »

you're not asking a small thing. it of course is possible to pick and choose pieces of any mod, but you have to know what you're doing. 

People on the boards are very helpful when you have specific questions but there's not really a concise thing I can write down that will immediately teach you how to mod.  There is a great resource for beginning modders on the wiki that teaches you the basics, how the different files interact.  After that you just need some practice, take apart your favorite mod and change one thing at a time until you can make changes and it behaves the way you expect. 

The wiki has other pages that are a comprehensive resource of all things you can do, and what the exact syntax is that is expected. when you are at the point that you can come to the boards with questions that are small enough to answer in, say, 500 words or less you will find people to be quite helpful.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/Modding