Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Quickfort plans for the Mines of Moria (v2.5)  (Read 24939 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Quickfort plans for the Mines of Moria (v2.5)
« on: June 22, 2013, 07:31:19 am »

TL;DR - you need a 12x7 embark for the full plans, which are in two parts.  The cropped version is a 5x5 embark, in one file.  The maps are only 6Z deep, and designate from the top-north-west corner.

The megaproject I always wanted was to recreate the Mines of Moria - accurately.  Of course, it never worked - the plan was too big and never came out right.  Not to mention I never really had a plan...

The classic map - even if never endorsed by Tolkien, it's the best available - is awesome but incomprehensible to lay out in DF. 

The map

So I owe a big thanks to Reddit user /u/Skage16 who hand-traced the map onto eight separate levels. 

The Reddit thread; the layered map

From there, I downscaled the images, then put them through chromafort (which had severe trouble with such large images, even black & white) and corrected the skew that introduced.  Then it was down to a lot of work in excel, making things geometric again and connecting the halls across z-levels with ramps.  I've also had to make some changes from the plans to fit things in - 12x7 embark is large enough (from 15x11!), and the contents of the top and bottom levels have been relocated to aid in cavern-related problems.  I also made a cropped edition [the western halls] cropped to fit in a 5x5 embark.  This one is a more plausible challenge. 

A seperate project has produced a plan for Moria that fits on a 4x4 embark for fps-aware players - the orientation of the layout has been changed from *West -> East* to *Top -> Bottom*. The final design stretches along 18 Z-levels and 2 .csv files (Quickfort bugs out with all 18 levels at once).  The various areas have been rotated, combined and remodeled to only keep straight or diagonal lines. Thanks to /u/aljady on reddit for this.

The contents include:
 - a pair of .csv blueprints for Quickfort to lay out the whole 12x7 map (so big, Quickfort needs it in sections!).  This is the true megaproject.  Thanks to Bay12 Dragor for finding and fixing the bugs that prevented these from actually working before.
 - a cropped edition [the western halls] cropped to fit in a 5x5 embark.  This one is a more plausible challenge. 
 - the two maps that the work is based off.
 - this document.
 - /u/aljady 's Mini-Moria (4x4, 18z deep) in it's own folder; this is a seperate conversion from the traces.  Has it's own readme too. 

Changelog:
v2.5 - added Mini-Moria by /u/aljady
v2.4 - fixing more issues with ramps
v2.3 - more fixes from Dragor (thanks!)
v2.2 - me again, cropped full to be actually 12x7
v2.1 - made by Dragor, bugfixes
v2.0 - first usable release, buggy
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:27:51 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
Re: Quickfort plans for the Mines of Moria
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 08:10:15 am »

This is... insane! And wonderful!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 09:07:38 am »

Well, this certainly takes the Quick out of Quickfort.

Complex. Dangerous. Not likely to come off without a hitch on any but the most lucky of maps. Will require an army of miners at that.

Very Dwarfy.

I respectfully tuft my beard in your general direction, Good Sir or Ma'am.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:34:12 am »

Good Armok, I was wondering when someone would attempt this.

Incredible.

Edit: I so want to try this when I get home later... Might have to mess with world gen a little, and i'm not so concerned about exact, faithful locations, but I would love to try this.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:53:17 pm by Lich180 »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 02:24:14 pm »

I saw the Reddit thread on this.  This is pretty damn dwarfy!

If only Tolkien had released some official maps of Moria ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

ITHEURIST

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 04:04:10 pm »

I must see this completed...
WoobMonkey- I hereby swear to uphold the true spirit of Dwarven Nobility: bitching, demanding, and being distracted by kittens, doors, and well-made cage traps.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 04:49:20 pm »

where DID they release the Balrog, anyway?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 05:26:05 pm »

Ejem. This must be made into a succesion fortress.

I am thinking that instead of one, really big embark, you can use several adyacent embarks, which each fortress retired. (in the next version,
obviously). Maybe three 4x7 embarks, or three 4X4 +two 3*6.

I wanna go in adventurer mode with a necromancer, two humans, a dwarf , an elf and four kobolds.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 05:33:55 pm by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 07:06:34 pm »

Someone mentioned embarking in an appropriate location - I direct you to a parameter set for generating Middle Earth (requires Perfect World 1.6). 

Each layer also broke chromafort pretty badly, the utilities just aren't designed to cope with something this big.  I love it. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 07:15:59 pm »

Well maybe in the mithril mines as they found that, got too greedy, then dug too deep.

But I don't really know

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 08:43:18 pm »

You are a very bad man, you know that?

Having access to industrial CAD, I am now tempted to model the structure at scale.
(sadly, they put the scale in leagues. 1 league is not well defined as a unit. The best I can do is say one league == 1.5 mi)
(This makes those rooms epically colossal. It would take forever to get from one place to another.)

Bad man. Bad bad man.

(I dont know what I would do with it afterwards, but just doing it sounds fun.)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:49:50 pm by wierd »

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 11:04:19 pm »

Well maybe in the mithril mines as they found that, got too greedy, then dug too deep.

But I don't really know

General consensus is they found it in the Foundations of stone. Which is the lowest place in Moria, so it makes sense. Clearly, the adamantine shaft must be dug there.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 01:27:08 am »

You are a very bad man, you know that?

Having access to industrial CAD, I am now tempted to model the structure at scale.
(sadly, they put the scale in leagues. 1 league is not well defined as a unit. The best I can do is say one league == 1.5 mi)
(This makes those rooms epically colossal. It would take forever to get from one place to another.)

Bad man. Bad bad man.

(I dont know what I would do with it afterwards, but just doing it sounds fun.)

1 league [UK] = 2.999 974 116 2 mile [survey, US]

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_all.htm

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 04:58:33 am »

Ok now to find an appropriate embark.

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 07:41:32 am »

Someone mentioned embarking in an appropriate location - I direct you to a parameter set for generating Middle Earth (requires Perfect World 1.6). 

Each layer also broke chromafort pretty badly, the utilities just aren't designed to cope with something this big.  I love it.
something like this?

upd: LOL. some random finding: "Stream: the torture of fruits"  :P
Pages: [1] 2 3