Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Quickfort plans for the Mines of Moria (v2.5)  (Read 24907 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Quickfort plans for the Mines of Moria
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 09:23:58 pm »

Nice!  A couple of questions...

1) I assume you don't mind me folding this into the main set, with proper credits?  If you don't I'll update it later today. 

2) Have these been tested/confirmed working?  It certainly sounds like it, but best to check...

3) What embark size is required?  If it's 1 tile too wide, I'll just crop it down a little...
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Dragor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 11:07:43 pm »

@PeridexisErrant
1) It'll be more convenient in one package so feel free to do whatever you want.
2) I have entirely checked the layer I modified and by the way I have tested the entire plan in a 13x8 embark and the digging performed well.
3) It's indeed only one tile too wide, so cropping it should be the best solution. In fact in a 12x7 embark, the tiles that cannot be designated are VC497:VC514 from Full blueprint - bottom half.csv, so it's very easy to fix.

I would normally upload a save or some screenshots of the full moria digged and cleaned but I got greedy and tried a dfhack command which just crashed my game.. and left me without any save but one I made before the digging started. #angry #willtraindwarveshowtoswiminmagma
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:11:17 pm by Dragor »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 11:21:24 pm »

2) Have these been tested/confirmed working?  It certainly sounds like it, but best to check...

2) I can confirm it does indeed work, though it takes quite some time for the program to print it all, and it can be a bit of a hassle if you mess up or need to restart. The full size version is GAWDDAMN HUMONGOUS. When transitioning from the top half to bottom half you want to start the bottom half on its own brand new layer, starting at the north west corner, otherwise the two maps will overlap and screw up.

It's so sprawlingly big it looks like dwarves will starve to death trying to travel from one side of the fort to the other.

My only complaint is that after running the thing I have no idea where to dig the frikkin' entrance into it. GG, OP. This is awesome.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 12:09:36 am »

Lovely - the fixed and slightly more cropped version is now up (got rid of the mentioned rows to keep it 12x7).  The nominal entrances are on the second from bottom level on the east and west - highlighted on the map in OP since the fellowship walked through there. 

The full size version is GAWDDAMN HUMONGOUS.
Yes, I worked that one out when the images started crashing the various manipulation tools (eg chromafort) and the simple skew-correction formulae in excel a) crashed my computer and b)came out at 200MB. 

I'm thinking of calling it an 'ultraproject' - if anyone turns this into a succession game that could be freaking awesome.  Bonus points for only connecting to the surface by the west gate. 
 Donations here.

Dragor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 10:58:23 am »

I've dug again the Moria entirely (or almost, some problem with damp stone coming from a mod) and I found 2-3 very minor issues I haven't found yesterday.
I've uploaded my download with your up-to-date version and the fixes I've made, so it should be good.

Link : http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7929

Edit :
Found another ramp issue on the 5th and 6th layer the when some miners died of thirst, but I don't know how to solve it properly (without changing the map layout) so I will explain the issue instead :

On the file "Full blueprint - bottom half.csv" :
The downward ramps on FS343:FT343 allow access to the 6th layer but the upward ramps beneath, at FS679:FT679 don't allow to go up to the 5th layer because there are no walls at FS680:FT680 (see http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Ramp#Movement_Using_Ramps for more information).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:12:02 pm by Dragor »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 02:17:52 pm »

Holy carp you actually made it?  :o
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 07:55:32 pm »

Updated to v2.4; with the issues you mentioned fixed and also a newly cropped 5x5 set with all the updates - I'm pretty sure there's no inaccessible bits, but I haven't checked exhaustively.  Cheers, Dragor. 

Edit:  I'd also love to see someone shuffle the full map into smaller vertical sections - only six Z deep is pretty inefficient in DF, and this would allow for a smaller embark, eg 5x5 with the layout compromised but all notable sections still there.  I probably won't bother though, since I've spent so long on this already. 

Also, for clarification this is released under GPL3 so do whatever with it. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:25:06 pm by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.

mason531

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quickfort plans for the Mines of Moria (v2.5)
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 10:01:53 pm »

When I try to use this in quick forts it doesn't work for me it keep having a reading error can you help please

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2019, 05:27:16 pm »

Wow, this is a really cool Ultraproject.  Thank you mason531 for digging this up!  It might be good to disable 2 of the 3 cavern levels to help with fps.  I haven't used any of those tools that plot the plan to the game yet.  Since it's just a dig plan, I think it would work in the current version.  Time for me to learn about quick forts etc.

mason531

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2019, 01:11:55 am »

Ok thank you I'm been wanting to use it lol but I can't there an reading error lol so let me know if you can fix it
Pages: 1 2 [3]