Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make ASCII games  (Read 12663 times)

Keigan

• Bay Watcher
  • Death or Liberal
    • View Profile
How to make ASCII games
« on: June 22, 2013, 11:34:59 am »

I know this is a big thing to ask :S But can some give me a quick tutorial just a bit of help to get me being able to make/edit games like this btw I loved the Zombie survival game :P
- A Fat Liberal

Bug Baxter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: How to make ASCII games
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 03:56:56 pm »

The quick version is get a C++ IDE and the PDCurses library and set off to work.

The thing is once you get your C++ IDE you'll have to set up the PDCurses library in your IDE which depending on which it is (I get the impression most people here use Visual C++, some, like yours truly, use CodeBlocks) instructions will vary.

Also check out this article: http://www.kathekonta.com/rlguide/

Its on roguelikes, and its incomplete, but everything there applies to every kind of game. He uses his own header in order to avoid PDCurses, but once you get a little programming-time under your belt translating the concepts over to Curses should be a snap  :)

Keigan

• Bay Watcher
  • Death or Liberal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 05:01:09 am »

Thanks mate I'll look though it now!
- A Fat Liberal

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 10:31:50 am »

Seconding Bug Baxter's comment and extending it with another option. LCS uses the C++/PDCurses approach, ZSS uses Python for the programming language and libtcod as the library.

Python/libtcod:
- More powerful library, with full color support, ability to have tile graphics, pre-written line of sight and pathfinding algorithms, and other handy features.
- Specifically designed for ASCII games.
- Python is one of the highest level and easiest to write and maintain programming languages.

C++/PDCurses:
- C++ is a faster programming language when it's run.
- Easier to build a standalone executable.
- Long history.

You can find a roguelike tutorial for Python/libtcod, which I think also covers installation, here. It is also possible to go with C or C++ and libtcod.

Fernest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:26:33 pm »

I'd say go Python+PyGame (easier) or better yet: Python+Qt+OpenGL (advanced and rises non-games-skills as well)

You won't be able to run it in a terminal, but you could simulate the look&feel of ASCII games.
AND you have the possibility to use far more, if your skill rises.
e.g. visuals: particle effects (explosion, blood, etc.)
interaction: mouse, drag&drop (can't just Drag&Drop a Liberal from one squad into another with curses, which is sad.)

Regarding C++:
Never, ever, ever, ever start programming a game in C++ (except if you have some years of experience in C++ or programming)
The syntax-overhead and all the gotchas will grind-down and KILL the project, because you will be frustrated as hell.

Where C++ needs 100 long lines of difficult code, Python often solves it in 15 easy lines (which you can read and understand even after some months).

C++ being faster is an outdated argument, especially for non-scientific, non-industrial, non-cgi stuff.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 04:07:39 pm »

Step 1:Make game
Step 2:Change graphics to letters, numbers and symbols.
Step 3:????
Step 4:Profit.