Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 65

Author Topic: Undertale: Spoilers! Its whats for dinner!  (Read 146325 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Undertale: Spoilers! Its whats for dinner!
« Reply #885 on: November 15, 2018, 09:38:15 am »

Yeah, I'm really curious how that's going to end up playing out by the end of the game.  The theme is kind of repeatedly beaten into us that choices don't matter, which has to be even more significant later on.

Unrelated, but I saw a theory floating around that Sans is a darkner instead of a monster.  It would explain some of the strangeness around him, but it doesn't really jive with Papyrus clearly being a monster unless they aren't actually brothers.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 15, 2018, 09:46:47 am »

I dont like theories that rely on later developments.  Its too easy to make shit up as you go and then just plug the new shit back into the old and then be like "look at my continuity, look at these interconnections."  Homestuck was really bad about that.

Like when toby fox was making undertale he wasnt thinking about connections to the next game hed make years later.

Can you actually not kill anyone?  But surely the game plays differently if you attack everyone and never spare or act
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:51:29 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 15, 2018, 11:15:39 am »

I'm pretty sure you get different dialogue and maybe a slight change to the ending if you attack people instead of sparing them, but nobody actually dies.  They all just run away I believe.

And I agree with you that trying to retroactively justify strangeness is usually a bad idea, but supposedly Toby originally wanted to make Deltarune and ended up making Undertale instead, and has had the plot in mind since 2012 or something like that.  Of course, that's no guarantee that nothing changed during that time or that he originally planned for there to be a link like that, not to mention that he's explicitly stated that Undertale and Deltarune aren't the same universe.

Maybe he just got some inspiration for the mechanics for darkners from Sans.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 15, 2018, 02:51:36 pm »

Can you actually not kill anyone?  But surely the game plays differently if you attack everyone and never spare or act
There's only one route in the game atm.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 15, 2018, 04:32:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 15, 2018, 05:19:00 pm »

The only difference is that if suzie (or you) beat up more than a few people, you get the ending where Ralsei pacifies the King and you run away from angry minions. If you manage to keep her thrashings at bay then Lancer and a horde of minions burst in and throw the king in jail. Then you get a short walkaround to talk to some notable characters.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 15, 2018, 05:22:48 pm »

Does anyone think that putting the egg in the fridge and then later finding two is creepy? Especially considering the egg stays with you to Home Town?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 15, 2018, 05:47:54 pm »

we keep thinking this is an alt verse from undertale, but what if its the other way round? what if this is the core and undertale was the alt game?
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 15, 2018, 06:59:11 pm »

What exactly would that mean? Would Undyne\Alphys be referenced if that were the case?
It seems to me that Sans would not have the talk options he does if that were the case, either.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 15, 2018, 08:08:32 pm »

we keep thinking this is an alt verse from undertale, but what if its the other way round? what if this is the core and undertale was the alt game?
Every universe is an alt verse of every universe. It's redundant.

The foundation of every story and every plot of human history is an alt universe of our universe and for all intents and purposes we probably are just the alt universe of another alt universe. Every second that splits, every thought that differentiates, every choice and decision brings to birth an alt universe of our alt universe to a neverending tree of akasha.

There's no discernible origin. We are all just pages of an infinite book, some further from a nonexistent middle than the other and some closer.

Sorry what were we talking about again?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 15, 2018, 11:04:08 pm »

I think the anagram analogy is probably most apt. They are reflections on the same world and theme, but are designed to complement each other, rather than one being the 'true reality'. Or something. It is kind of weird to see most of the old characters not having the weight of being imprisoned beneath the earth looming over them.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 16, 2018, 06:47:54 am »

I didnt even realise you could go south from the school the first time I played, hahah.

Also I named Onionsan to Asriel II because why not

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 16, 2018, 09:14:56 am »

I didnt even realise you could go south from the school the first time I played, hahah.

Huh, I didn't consider this either.  You mean at the beginning of the game, right?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 16, 2018, 10:24:43 am »

Huh, I didn't consider this either.  You mean at the beginning of the game, right?

no, the post-game town walkaround

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 16, 2018, 10:35:20 am »

Oh, okay.  I was worried I'd missed another 50 bits of dialogue by exploring town at the beginning of the game when you're supposed to be in school.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 65