Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]

Author Topic: Undertale: Spoilers! Its whats for dinner!  (Read 146334 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Undertale: Spoilers! Its whats for dinner!
« Reply #960 on: October 04, 2021, 09:33:02 am »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 04, 2021, 12:00:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 05, 2021, 03:35:59 pm »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 05, 2021, 04:02:17 pm »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: October 19, 2021, 08:47:06 am »

I just want to say that I absolutely loved Deltarune chapter 2. Like... Jesus christ, I loved basically everything about it.

I remember that when work on Deltarune was starting I think, Toby warned that he didn't think he was ever going to be able to top Undertale, or make something that made people feel the same emotions that Undertale did. In my opinion, Deltarune so far has done everything Undertale did well... possibly even better. It's genuinely hilarious, it has the same depth of storytelling, it gives the players the same guilt trip over their actions, if not even worse than Undertale did because of the way it's handled differently, the music is as boppin as ever...

Toby Fox went into Deltarune with an enormous amount of experience from Undertale, as well as a reasonable budget, and a production team to help him. I don't wanna heap expectations that can't be met onto the poor guy, but god, I think that Deltarune could easily top Undertale if it keeps going the way it is.

Thank you for coming to my Fangirly TED talk.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 19, 2021, 09:13:32 am »

I couldn't agree more and at this point I'll be shocked if Deltarune doesn't end up topping Undertale in every conceivable way.  It's already getting close just 2 chapters in.

Has it been long enough we no longer need spoiler tags?  I think so.

Anyway, Spamton alone is clear evidence that the story is going to be deep, impactful and full of even more mindscrew than Undertale's metafictional elements.  I genuinely felt bad for him in the end, and he was an anthropomorphized spam email of all things.

Now, if we really want to get into stuff that I can't wait to see, it's what happens after Snowgrave.  Part of me feels like somehow we're going to get a twist and it'll go back to Deltarune chapter 1's mantra that our choices don't matter and Berdly will be okay, but maybe Toby has something bigger planned.

And... hmm... I wonder if that's Undertale preaching to me about wanting to see what happens but being too much of a coward to do it myself.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 19, 2021, 10:43:46 am »

nah im getting this feeling the "normal plot" we have little effect over, im talking the normal route where berdly is fine and noelle gains regular self-esteem.

but the weird route feels distinctly like we threw the normal plot off the rails. from the tone, the situations, we basically hijacked the story and the limitations placed on our movements and abilities... by manipulating someone into being our weapon that explicitly uses an ability that bypasses the game; it freezes. enemies can run normally but not when we use snowgrave.

that leads to another thing: we are rescuing less darkners to bring to our town. both i bet have an effect on the plot further down that we just dont know yet.

it also feels wayyyy more evil then undertale's no mercy mode, and i fucking love and dread it.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 19, 2021, 10:44:48 am »

I'm sure there's going to be something major going forward from that route.

While looking a few things up on the wiki, I realized something else.

Spoiler: Knight speculation (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: October 19, 2021, 10:56:10 am »

Hm, about the TwistedSword, I don't think that you can have the ThornRing at the end of chapter unless you do nearly all of snowgrave but don't actually murder Falco. Since to kill him Noelle has to have the ring equipped, and after the fight she immediately leaves the party, which means you don't have the ring any more.

So either in future chapters Noelle joins your party again, or you get the ring back some other way, or the TwistedSword is obtained through that weird method.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 19, 2021, 11:11:29 am »

The idea that Snowgrave is throwing the story off its rails is one I've seen suggested in a few places and does seem to fit what we're shown.  I guess if the notion of an unchanging story is a central element to Deltarune, possibly as a subversion of Undertale, allowing the player to change the story as a matter of "breaking" the game would ironically fit.

Spoiler: Knight speculation (click to show/hide)

This is amusing but probably a bit too out there.  Probably.

I thought it would be ironic if it were Asgore, since the closet specifically mentions a large person could hide in it, but... well, I guess we'll see in a few years.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: October 19, 2021, 12:07:30 pm »

I do enjoy how some of the paths in undertale and deltarune give the feeling you might sometimes get when a rare glitch happens... you did something you're not expected to, and see things you're not supposed to.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: October 20, 2021, 05:05:07 am »

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]