Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Potash: an unassuming square font in 8x8 and 10x10.  (Read 27663 times)

tejón

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Potash: an unassuming square font in 8x8 and 10x10.
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:45:36 pm »

About a year ago I slapped together an 8x8 font from bits and pieces of classic sources. I'm a big fan of data density, but I've finally admitted to myself that at 1920x1080 it's just too crowded. I set out to create a 10x10 version for fullscreen usage. So much changed (and got back-ported for consistency) that it basically became a new font... at which point, what the heck, let's change some more!

This is a clean and simple font. I've focused primarily on readable text, easy distinction between similar glyphs, good spacing/alignment, and consistent appearance between the two sizes. Within all those constraints, I've also tried to make it pretty. :)

Potash is hosted at the dwarffortresswiki.org tileset repository.

Preserved for posterity: the version below has its underscore on the very bottom of the glyph. I eventually moved it up one pixel, to more easily distinguish dig and channel designations.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's the short-lived first 10x10 version, with a different zero.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:56:00 pm by tejón »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Potash: an unassuming square font in 8x8 and 10x10.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 07:59:31 am »

Did you just make an account at the wiki?  I recall there being perhaps a three day wait from registering till you may upload files.  Maybe.

Nice tileset!  I'll give it a try tonight.  But man, I'm finding it hard to play knowing the new version is coming.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:11:14 pm »

This is actually quite nice, I like it.

tejón

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 04:00:12 pm »

Did you just make an account at the wiki?  I recall there being perhaps a three day wait from registering till you may upload files.  Maybe.
I'll try waiting a few days, then. Thanks.

But man, I'm finding it hard to play knowing the new version is coming.
I've spent nearly six months not playing because I thought it was coming soon. I just can't keep waiting. ;)

ALSO: I've edited the zero glyph, see first post for update.

King of Blades

• Bay Watcher
  • What wonders will I see this day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 04:27:06 am »

Might try putting some screenshots in the OP, it would generate more interest since people wouldn't have to install it to even see what it looks like.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 10:12:21 pm »

Converted the tilesets for the wiki and uploaded them all for you. Also fixed the descriptions up a bit by removing the "can't upload yet" messages.

tejón

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 02:58:02 am »

Thanks a bunch, Taffer!

For those who were asking, I've got a few preliminary screenshots here. Fresh embark so it doesn't show off a lot, but still better than nothing. Once this fortress is a bit more developed I'll find a better exposition shot (or if anyone else wants to supply one, feel free).

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:07:32 am »

Would you mind if I were to take just the letters from your sets for my own ASCII versions? They're very minor differences but I figured to still ask.

tejón

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 11:54:11 pm »

Consider it licensed CC3.0-Attribution, and I only even care if it somehow finds commercial use.

In other words, go right ahead. :)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 02:27:31 pm »

Consider it licensed CC3.0-Attribution, and I only even care if it somehow finds commercial use.

In other words, go right ahead. :)

Technically this is unenforceable, as bitmap fonts aren't eligible for copyright almost anywhere except for the UK. (source)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:35:26 pm by Taffer »

tejón

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 04:33:17 pm »

I was pretty sure of that already, but didn't want to ramble too far off the main point, which was simply "yes."

In any case, modding communities are built on trust and respect. Of course he could not ask, copy everything, take credit for it, even find a way to sell it; and I'd have no legal recourse. But I'd be equally free to tell everyone he's a total dick. This interchange was exactly the opposite, and to that I say: Huzzah!

tejón

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 11:57:20 pm »

Bumping for an update -- I moved the underscore up one pixel at both sizes, to make a single tile/row of channel designation more recognizable.

Seluin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 05:24:28 pm »

I like this a lot more than Curses 16x16 (what I was using). Much more legible on my screen.
I am having so much Fun.