Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save scumming  (Read 575 times)

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save scumming
« on: August 19, 2006, 06:47:00 am »

I know save scumming is kind of a taboo for such games, but all I want to do is copy a save of a game that has some of the basics set up, such as a farm and stuff. Anyone wanna help me?

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Save scumming
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 06:51:00 am »

It's in your data/save directory. Copy out the save file and the associated world directory.

Dwarf Chunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 07:07:00 am »

I think he wants the save of someone else, to see how everything works. Don't currently have one, else I might have uploaded it.

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 08:17:00 am »

No, I already had a save. Just needed to back it up.

Dwarf Chunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 09:18:00 am »

Weird. It's pretty hard to miss the save folder, so I didn't really believe you managed to do just that. Well, good to know that you know where it is now, anyway.  :)

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 11:59:00 am »

Speaking of save games.. why are they so enormous? I'm 5 years into my fortress and my save direcetory is up to 10 megs

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 01:00:00 pm »

I belive that the save also includes your entire world not just your current fort or adventurer.

edit-
If you adventure a lot to that can up the size, after all it has to save every area you vist and all the people and ledgends stuff.
I have played one fort and many adventurers, and my save folder size is 15.4 mb.

[ August 19, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »

Size is relative.  15 MB is pretty small these days. =)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 07:50:00 pm »

Yeah, I figured I'd just let the hard drive handle some of my problems.  If you visit every single site in the world, it would probably get up to around 200MB.  That's still less than a third of a CD.  For people are playing Bloodline games and so on, the small world option will alleviate some of the strain (whenever that goes in).  The successive player games currently seem to focus on one fortress rather than many games at the moment, so small worlds shouldn't reduce the depth much/at all.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!