Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 184284 times)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's happening in your Fort.
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:33:15 am »

Thought I would start one of these in here for Masterwork forts of whatever kind to hear what other people are doing or getting done to them. I also thought it would be good to avoid spamming non question stuff in the question/bug threads, so I hope that's ok.

So. What's going on in your (insert race here) Fort?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:08:35 am »

To add to the already significant number of different invasion I have gotten in my current fort, I was recently under siege by the Orcs, who had about 90-100~ when counting the 15 or so War Boars they brought with them. Not that unusual, until I noticed that the Clanleader at the head of the army was Asno Stosbubkosto, Gnome Maceman.

I really don't know what happened to this world, but apparently the Gnomes are somewhat more badass than any I have come across before.

I'm currently in late-winter of my 9th year and the constant attacks have delayed caravans to the point that the Drow, Human, Gnome, and then Elven merchants all showed up one after another. A goblin ambush then ran into the two Human diplomat's guards, killing one before being slaughted by the second. Of course the poor guy didn't quite make it inside before a Warlock army appeared and melted him, starting a fire that will no doubt burn the entire map along with most of their army and the Elf diplomat that is just standing in the corner not moving and probably wondering wth is going on.

Now I get to deal with 30 fps for a little bit while I do some trading. That is, trading, and dealing with my Kitchen being lit on fire by a Warlock who I can only assume flew in through the still unfinished roof on his War Beetle, somehow avoided the 20 military dwarves training in the area and went straight for the heart of my fort. The booze. This will be interesting.

Arktyr Taurus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:21:46 am »

Building a surface fort out of earthware bricks for my dwarves. 11k bricks used so far. Complete with color coded floors and roofs (blue for civic/civilian, red for production, green for outdoor walkways and black for military)

Next on the agenda is:
1. Move and redesign the areas for several of the major industries.
2. Finish the mist generator in my dining/meeting hall.
3. Make that citizen militia I have been planning to create since forever.

Related to the 3rd point: What armor parts can be made out of leather. (read: what bits will not degrade and 'rot away')

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 09:41:36 am »

Building camps of merry little kobolds to figure out all their little bugs, then fix said bugs. Among those one that caused ~40 ambushes to show up at the same time.

Also fastdwarving a bit in dwarf mode, to see what can be done with decorations. Current setup allows for this:

@Repseki: Absolutely ok to open a thread for this. And your gnomes conquered the orcs? Wow.
@Arktyr Taurus: Pics, or it didnt happen. :P (I am just curious)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 09:43:26 am »

Building a surface fort out of earthware bricks for my dwarves. 11k bricks used so far. Complete with color coded floors and roofs (blue for civic/civilian, red for production, green for outdoor walkways and black for military)

Next on the agenda is:
1. Move and redesign the areas for several of the major industries.
2. Finish the mist generator in my dining/meeting hall.
3. Make that citizen militia I have been planning to create since forever.

Related to the 3rd point: What armor parts can be made out of leather. (read: what bits will not degrade and 'rot away')

I think padded items count as armor rather than clothin, but dont quote me on that.
Any leather items that are not clothing will never tor away.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:50:09 am »

I'm pretty sure the Leather Armor, Mail Greaves, Boots, Helms, and maybe Padded Gloves should be safe from wear. I know that cloaks aren't, and am unsure on the other padded items. Not really sure on the difference between padded and unpadded in general really.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 12:38:37 am »

I've got a trapped hill titan that shoots webs and is made of poplin, which is apparently cloth. He cannot be killed without cave in. He murdered 4 caravans and an orc siege using the usual web spamming. I trapped him and he's been burning in 7/7 lava for months. Ive started letting him out to murder invaders and then lure him back in with fresh chained kitten. I'm currently setting up a way for my marks dwarves to train on him and a way to collect his webs. The rest of my fort is falling apart as I've devoted all my time to the giant cloth titan from the age of myth.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:45:49 am »

I've got a trapped hill titan that shoots webs and is made of poplin, which is apparently cloth. He cannot be killed without cave in. He murdered 4 caravans and an orc siege using the usual web spamming. I trapped him and he's been burning in 7/7 lava for months. Ive started letting him out to murder invaders and then lure him back in with fresh chained kitten. I'm currently setting up a way for my marks dwarves to train on him and a way to collect his webs. The rest of my fort is falling apart as I've devoted all my time to the giant cloth titan from the age of myth.
ballistae through fortifications.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 06:01:55 am »

3b. Currently got a rather amusing little fort.  Got a couple of ghosts haunting the first mining level, funny thing is is that the 'ghosts' are from the 'corpses' from the 'dwarf transformed into a dwarf staring at the shifting ore'. They haven't moved from where they 'died' so I'm debating whether it's worth engraving some slabs for them as the dwarves can't plop the 'corpses' into a coffin, not for want of trying though *lol* after several dozen cancellation messages I forbid the item.

Opened the first cavern and walled off and trapped the entrances, mostly because of the hunters mournful looks.  It's an evil/good biome but the good section is an ocean so the dwarves are under orders to remain below ground, not that the filthy goo rain seems to do much. So I periodically check the animal stockpile to see if there's anything that can be trained or that needs to be pitted into the 'slice and dice room', a 12x12 room filled with weapon traps each with 10 large serrated glass disks (I refuse to embark where I can't get sand *lol* it's just too handy), I was rather surprised to find a giant cave spider sitting quietly in a cage. I promptly carved out a room next to the stockpile and set up a silk farm with a tame ant eater as bait, I never seem to be able to tame the giant cave spiders so this time around I decided to go with wild spider tame bait.  I'm now swimming in rare silk thread and cloth.

Got a surprise announcement from a werewolf (yes werewolf, not wereelk or wereturtle or something an actual werewolf) child getting caught in one of the entrance cage traps. Not sure if it was a migrant kid or not, I promptly pitted it into the 'slice and dice room'. 34 pages of combat log later it was finally a corpse.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 06:33:59 pm »

Just got two decent migrant waves followed by the Dwarf caravan so I am scrambling to make something to trade since I had just started re-locating my workshops. As well as fort wide insomnia that will either turn out fine or I will fail to do anything in time...

Pharaun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 12:16:13 am »

Finished digging out an entire level of dirt just to discover that I don't have subterranean grasses on my map. Can my animals graze floor tiles from cavern layer three?
Lost a few orcs to drakes.
Spamming magic.
Trying to figure out what to do with a necromancer who recently moved into the fort with a wave of migrants. He's also a "mentalist", which I assume means that he can use his mind to attack things.

Edit: I've a few dozen "Gold Bag of Loot", and have no clue what they're for. Could somebody explain?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:11:31 am by Pharaun »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 01:27:41 am »

Kobold snatchers drop those (although if you have a few dozen, maybe you provoked an actual kobold ambush somehow?)

In Orc Fortress the Kobold Trickster Hut opens them (automatically).  They contain lots of valuable crafts, so if you have dozens of them, you're pretty rich.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 02:47:31 am »

Kobolds need several, usually 3, successful thefts before they send ambushes. Just saying.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

rmo348

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 03:55:23 am »

After following vanilla DF on/off for a bit, finally having the stones to dig deep into Military/Steel/100% Self-sustainability/Pumpstacks/Megaconstructions etc. tried out an evil ice fort, and then learned about Masterwork. Decided to test out Masterwork with some Fun in a harsh flat sand desert with a few extra invader races turned on >:-)

Walled off topside/bloodymess/deathpit entrance:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bottome of deathpit. Currently adding more spikes as we speak. Above center 3 bridges retract while the two on either side raise so that the pit can be flooded for amusing mass drowning of any spikepit survivors. Drainage system in place for recovering loot.

First experiments with tree farming and military garrison. can see my animal pens as well. Breached cavern 1 and 3 looking for minerals and the consequential wildlife spreading has taken me a little by surprise. Was weird to see floor tiles growing on sand haha. Oh and yea you can see the mass grave forming there too, sand deserts with extra invaders is causing its fair share of casualties:

Workshop space, didn't quite size rooms appropriately for the Masterwork buildings, though this is just a temporary space as I get my industries set up. Stockpile arrangement is a mess too, gonnna expand north and add guild halls/libraries/magic stuff soon while I more properly organize stuff:

Magma feed system for series of workshops around the edges of industry space that use magma as fuel. had to make 45 high magma pumpstack which was a total bitch, took years in game. Thank god for tears of Armok in this mod I have no clue where I would've found water for power/wells in this biome otherwise:

Further plans include exploring the various new mechanics and getting used to the new professions while pumping out huge stacks of clear glass. I figured by choosing a perfectly flat desert and pumping up magma I would have an infinite supply of blocks for a giant glass palace megaconstruct. Still have to make some scarecrows and extend out walkways perhaps from the edges of my topside wall to provide clearer paths for merchants and migrants, which up until this point have been getting slaughtered occasionally by the hostile environment before they can even reach the fort. Also looking to go explore cavern level 2 a little as I see there's lots of crystal/glass stuff going on there. Trying to make a very shiny rich glass palace here haha, thinking of pumping water up into the crystal palace when I'm done to make a kindof hanging gardens inspired desert palace thing. Extra races have been providing a nice Fun challenge too, white tigermen seem to come knocking on my door every other season. Recent frost giant raids have left me with some bifrost bars which I'm looking forward to crafting into armor/weapons, gotta love the new loot rewards in this mod :D

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 05:14:04 am »

Looking nice. There's definitely a lot of stuff to play around with, it's easy to lose track of bits here and there and then realize years later that you never built said building to make this and that a whole lot easier. At least that's what happens to me, but I tend to play without clear planning from the start, or lose it shortly after embark.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 113