Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185716 times)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1230 on: September 20, 2014, 02:05:11 pm »

Glass is supposed to be magma and fire proof, but it is mostly wrong.
Glass buildings are usually fine, but glass items will melt.

I learned this the hard way, after designing a cart track to pull magma, specifically designed for the weight of green glass carts, so that it doesn't shoot out and kill people, and the carts melted as soon as they touched the magma.
And when you throw glass items in magma, they also melt right away, just like non magma-proof items.

I'm assuming it's the same thing here, but with fire instead of magma?
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: September 20, 2014, 11:16:21 pm »

I've got a kobold who is a vampire and this vampire has been caught a few times and won't show up in the justice screen.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 21, 2014, 02:37:03 am »

I was playing a human fort, trying to get the wall up when this happened:

Does this happen often?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: September 21, 2014, 08:12:15 am »

My first ever Orc Fortress just came to an abrupt end when, after about FIVE SECONDS, a hunter decided it was a great idea to hunt two giant forest spiders (using wooden arrows BTW), enrage both of them, and then run away, through the wagon area, where everyone was still gathering weapons and building workshops.
My Uruk warrior managed to land some blows with his axe, but that didn't help at all: everyone got webbed and massacred; ironically, the dumb-*** hunter was the last one to be killed.

Well, that was a FUNny way to start...

EDIT: Are you F*****G serious?! AGAIN? This time the fort is safe, thanks to our badass shaman, who punched the spider in the head and killed him, but still... WHY? Why is it always a giant spider? And why is it always a dumb-*** Snaga hunter?

EDIT2: Well, forget it. The spiders came back to finish the job, everybody is dead. Did forest spiders declare war on orcs or something?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:37:59 am by 94dima94 »
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 21, 2014, 11:59:43 am »

Forest Spiders are evil. #2 Kobold cause of death, after drow uberninjas with legendary dodge skill and full bloodsteel plate. I've even seen them appear on GLACIERS. GLACIERS ARE NOT FORESTS! SPIDERS CAN'T SURVIVE ON GLACIERS! NOT EVEN GIANT ONES! ESPECIALLY NOT GIANT ONES! I recommend setting their fixed-temp high enough that they melt into a gooey ball of spider fat and chitin once they enter the map. Or removing their WEBAVOID.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 21, 2014, 01:28:25 pm »

Or, if you don't like that kind of +FUN+, consider disabling Surface Creatures option.  A lot of the things in there are pretty nasty!

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: September 21, 2014, 04:12:33 pm »

Yet an other above ground fort died from fire birds (and ensuing tantrums).

I really need to find a good way to deal with them, they caused me much more death than the orc invasion.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: September 22, 2014, 01:43:52 pm »

Or, if you don't like that kind of +FUN+, consider disabling Surface Creatures option.  A lot of the things in there are pretty nasty!

The point is, I always at least manage to fight back, except with spiders. ALWAYS. SPIDERS.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 22, 2014, 04:26:50 pm »

I had a werecreature that showed up, killed and injured my war grizzlies and was killed.  A month later one of the surviving grizzly bears turned into a werebeast.  I didn't think that was possible.

He bit a bear and a mastiff before my swordlord decapitated him.  They were made into finely minced roasts and suede pants...

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 23, 2014, 04:45:19 pm »

I finally had a self-sustaining fort going (dwarves) with a population of about 95. Everyone was ecstatic except for the babies.

Then, suddenly werescorpion! I was clearing out space in the upper levels of the volcano I'd settled in (meaning the only way in was my fort entrance, where there's a lot of foot traffic, some scarecrows, and a ward of armok). The beast appeared within the chamber with my miners. I actually suspect warpstone transformed one of the miners.

Unfortunately, as I'm still learning and have yet to tackle it, I had no military whatsoever. One miner dies immediately, and the other lives just long enough to transform himself. The two werescorpions begin beating the crap out of each other, occasionally transforming to something else (freezer? something to do with cold) and back. The one that I had witnessed change from one of hte miners finally finishes the other off, and begins rampaging through the fort.

By the time it transforms back into a dwarf I'd lost almost 20 citizens and a good amount of pets. Tantrum spiral commenced, and it didn't seem my psychiatrist could keep up.

I chickened out and abandoned the fortress at that point.

... is it possible for warpstone to transform a miner into a night creature? I ask as the only dwarves in the area were the miners themselves and they were founders.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1240 on: September 23, 2014, 04:53:41 pm »

Its not Warpstone, you simply had a werebeast come by. The freezer thief sneaked into your fort, like a regular kobold, transformed, bit/scratched your miner, who also transformed. All the other dwarves would have been infected, too, if they wouldnt have died that fast.

If your fort would have been sealed, the thief would have been caught sooner.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 23, 2014, 05:06:05 pm »

Ah, so scarecrows/wards won't detect sneaks (actually it was dumb of me to think scarecrows would detect anything lol). Just seems it chose an interesting place to attack, instead of by the stockpiles or whatnot.

EDIT: btw, welcome back Meph!
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: September 23, 2014, 07:57:38 pm »

Um, this is new.  I have secret fun and diseases turned off.  New wave of migrants.  One is a Dwarf Peasant berserker.  Who starts beating on another migrant and I spewing filth everywhere.  I send in my military, which kill him, and the guy he was beating on is now entirely slightly swelling with blood (and has a fractured arm).

I'm guessing that is one of those dwarf chocolate secret types?  Or whatever that was called...

Oh and it looks like my weaver is going to weave me some grime cloth...

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mystery fires
« Reply #1243 on: September 29, 2014, 10:45:24 am »

Again with the mystery fires.  Last fort I thought there was something about the wood furnace that went awry, but this time it was the moss my kitchens, I think.

Embarked on a volcano, and when I pierced the tube I "found" the third level caverns - apparently, the "discovery" went down the tube, across the magma sea a bit, up a magma pool into the cavern.  Wierdest thing I ever saw.

Anyway, that got me third-cavern moss infestations all over my kitchens - I put my farms, seed piles, kitchen/still/shops all next to each other in a clay or dirt level.  Lesson for me - construct floors over those bare patches to prevent fire spreading.

Something caught them on fire, and it's all smoke and burned seeds now :(

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: September 29, 2014, 10:57:08 am »

Alas, if only I could gather up those ashes ... my slag pits are a major blockage, all those slag bars cluttering up and taking longer and longer to clear the smelters ...

Maybe I'll start building my outside fortress walls from slag bars instead of concrete ...
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 113