Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185742 times)

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1275 on: November 17, 2014, 07:18:09 pm »

A thunderbird came to my fort, but my only millitary was a migrant hastily drafted. I also had some miners, who I sent out to act as a delay. unfortunately, however, something broke my bridge and a beak wolf siege came at the same time. My miner died quickly, and I drafted my fort and launched them into oblvion. It was a slaughter, but a single migrant and a child lived. I abandoned soon after.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: November 18, 2014, 10:51:44 pm »

Vucar Rulstakud, J-Glass* has created Gatizsastress, a diamond candelabra!

Gatizsastres, is "The Fondled Princesses".   :o

I think I got a pretty good idea of what this candelabra looks like.  This dorf is a perv.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: November 20, 2014, 06:01:30 pm »

My four legendary priests are producing all the metal that I need to power my fort.
*The iron gets upgraded to steel
*The silver gets combined with steel for mithril (sweet sweet mithril armor!)
*The bronze gets turned into statues that are going into bedrooms
*The gold is being converted to coins for guildhalls and garrison training.

But I have 183 excess platinum bars that I don't know what to do with.  I could make furniture out of it, but the color doesn't really do anything for me.  Any ideas on what to do with it?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:03:23 pm by qorthos »

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 20, 2014, 06:36:02 pm »

Sell the platinum to caravans for landmine? Turn platinum into statues and sell those for landmines/turrets? Use it to get some staves for mages? Just a few suggestions
Signature coming *soon* TM

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 20, 2014, 07:06:22 pm »

Piles of dead human bandits. So many dead bandits.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: November 21, 2014, 08:12:16 pm »

Most of the map has a shallow aquifer, so I'm playing around with some new layouts for aboveground structures.

I've done pyramids semi-regularly before, but usually just on a whim and don't really make optimal use of the space.  This time i set aside a 9x9 core pillar in the middle with a layout reserved for a 4-workshop block on each floor, and raw materials and peasant laborers are stacked in the outer area.  Crafts, clothiers, and jewelers occupy several of the bigger floors near the bottom where the storage area is still pretty spacious.  The bottom most level is filled with hovels, the mid floors which are too small for production have nicer rooms for the priests and master jewelers, and a temple or two are going in at the top.  The capstone will probably just be hide-root dyed crimson bricks rather than the "traditional" bloodsteel, but we'll see.

I have a simple "barn" that keeps the wool workers from freezing in the winter.  Mumakil pasture intersects the barn's ground floor and wooly squigs up a ramp in the rafters.

Often use a little tower connected by tunnels so that archers can safely fire at chokepoints, like bends in the river.  This time I build their firing range into an encampment at the tower base, instead of 100's of urists away back in the main part of the fort.  Barracks are carved below in the single dry soil layer, complete with mess hall and an aquifer-driven well.  I only recently learned that marksdwarves/orcs will store ammo in chests in their barracks, which is at least somewhat useful in this case.  (this way the main ammo stockpiles can use bins without screwing up the rangers out in the boonies too badly).  Some surface channels make it so some of the ammo from missed shots at the range can fall back down into the back of the barracks and be reclaimed, which is good, because right now they're pretty terrible and are missing a lot.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:14:34 pm by smakemupagus »

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 25, 2014, 02:07:38 pm »

So on my cold north dwarf fortress in a tundra one of my dwarfs got possessed by an unknown force (Me) and has to make an artifact our of 20k Silk Cloth... Wish I would e kidding with that... well guess I wind up shooting him at the end...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1282 on: November 25, 2014, 02:25:27 pm »

So on my cold north dwarf fortress in a tundra one of my dwarfs got possessed by an unknown force (Me) and has to make an artifact our of 20k Silk Cloth... Wish I would e kidding with that... well guess I wind up shooting him at the end...
Pray for silk :P (literally)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 25, 2014, 03:52:26 pm »

Not sure what method you're using to determine how much cloth you need, but it is probably talking about the internal "units" of cloth rather than the items we're familiar with. You probably only need two silk cloths, not 20,000, because cloths are are actually comprised of 10,000 units each for the purposes of acting as bandages in the hospital.

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 25, 2014, 03:59:01 pm »

Not sure what method you're using to determine how much cloth you need, but it is probably talking about the internal "units" of cloth rather than the items we're familiar with. You probably only need two silk cloths, not 20,000, because cloths are are actually comprised of 10,000 units each for the purposes of acting as bandages in the hospital.

Its actually 20000 units/batches of silk cloth, the lump you get when manufactoring it, I double checked that and when I saw it in dfhack my eyeballs fell out... 
200000000 units of cloth, or down into individual batches/units: 20000.

I am not sure what the hell went wrong, maybe it has to do with the burrow... Anyways that guy commited suicide by jumping into my pit next to some handy spear traps. Would have loved to see that artifact though.

Pray for silk :P (literally)

Was on that, but only got a few couple units... even with the use of a second priest offering totems to the altar of armok (well not really, was doing the totem thing for steel since I have the luck to be not able to use steeloak nor ironbark nor have hematite nor have decent caravans... only silver...)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:01:30 pm by ___MeRliN___ »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1285 on: November 25, 2014, 04:35:56 pm »

Moods are hardcoded, it can only be 2 pieces of cloth.  ???
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: November 25, 2014, 04:47:07 pm »

Its actually 20000 units/batches of silk cloth, the lump you get when manufactoring it, I double checked that and when I saw it in dfhack my eyeballs fell out... 
200000000 units of cloth, or down into individual batches/units: 20000.

I am not sure what the hell went wrong, maybe it has to do with the burrow... Anyways that guy commited suicide by jumping into my pit next to some handy spear traps. Would have loved to see that artifact though.

Oh, yeah, burrows and moods play strangely when the workshop is in a burrow but the components aren't (or maybe the reverse; the dwarf is assigned to a burrow but the workshop isn't part of it). But my understanding of that bug wasn't so much that the mood itself requires an absurd number of components, but that the collected components - although still tasked for use in the mood once collected and deposited in the workshop - aren't counted as collected so the dwarf goes to pick up more. If the mood ever actually starts, they end up using all the collected components. Your situation sounds a little different than that.

Anyway, oh well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:48:56 pm by Niveras »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: December 07, 2014, 02:05:16 pm »

Either bisexuality was secretly coded in, or this poor guy is so deeply buried in the closet that he's discovered adamantine in there. Either way, random migrant, congratulations on your unquenchable loins. Hopefully in twelve years your children will have aspired to be more ambitious than the life of a cheese maker.

or it's a bug, but hey. see also ***SPECIAL GEMS***

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: December 08, 2014, 03:18:40 pm »

Gnomes love to check the power reading on machines by crawling in the machine. If the gnome survives, the machine is not powered (yet). Body parts all over the room means the machine has power. I've never seen a Check Power reading on a powered machine NOT chew up the gnome.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 08, 2014, 09:05:37 pm »

this poor guy is so deeply buried in the closet that he's discovered adamantine in there
Can I sig that?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 113