Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185740 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1290 on: December 20, 2014, 02:25:10 pm »

Idiot hermit built a wall while standing on the wrong side, gets himself washed down the cistern before he can tear it down.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 23, 2014, 05:18:40 pm »

My bolds are drunken and angry. Mass-production of cheap booze for fuel is going in a completely wrong direction.

Meanwile...
My only high-skilled bone carver gonna die from gimme-damn-gems-thirst. And fast building of Thief's Tunnel doesn't seem to fix the problem. Instead of precious goblin gems I receive only all those useless golden-silver bars and stacks of coins.

Meanwhile...
It's been half a year since the first titan had come. Luckily, he was made of salt, his attacks glanced away from bold's skin, so then incoming migrants ate him alive (literally, by biting off his tasty salty salt tissue).
The second appeared in the same month and already slaughtered two migrant waves and a caravan. However, our brave warren master have escaped using the good old "thin-air" trick. Glory to Entens Bompsa!

UPD:
Damn, they even stole a building plan, but not a single gem!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:21:14 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 24, 2014, 10:46:57 am »

First elven caravan arrives, everything is going fine until one of the merchants transforms into a werewolf.  Two of my military dwarves are slain and all but one of elves succumb.  One of my melee dwarves contracted werewolfism and is sent to guard a lonely room in the bottom of the fort and to "never mind the sound of masonry on the other side of the door". 

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 26, 2014, 10:09:13 am »

Ouch... a silver mace the dwarfs of my current fortress could have fixed that werewolf...

Well yeah similar... rather interesting things happen there on that miners expedition (lots of Hematite and Galena hehe)...

Lets see:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Good to know that you are such a kind brat. Swearing an oath of celibacy infront of a succubus thief.

And one of my miners decided to become possesed by an unknown force and started working on an artifact... fastly he claims the masons workshop... "God again another stupid hourglass..."

Nope instead he grabs alot of Gypsum (3)... and then demanded gems... so I have decided to give it a try if rocksalt counts as a gem if cut...

Alright... now lets see... a bed made out of gypsum... and rocksalt?!?

Both minerals are... well... water-soluble... Gypsum might be a bit harder but still is... but really... those nice rocksalt decorations... theyll wash away when it comes in contact with water... just think about it... its a hot summer... you are lying on this awesome bed... its warm... you are sweatening alot... and all the sudden the bed breaks while you are sleeping? Why cause its water-soluble... Good job my dear friend... thats truly an awesome bed you made...
Signature coming *soon* TM

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 27, 2014, 09:09:34 pm »

One of my zombies was attacked by someone's pet mephit, thus lighting the food and refuse stockpiles on fire. Then, not 5 seconds later, I'm invaded by dwarves. The army proceeds to smash through about 60 undead corpses until they are stopped by the growing fire, the blaze claims half their number and the remainder are scared off by the few undeads that can still move while on fire.

I have 17 survivors out of 26, I suppose it could have gone worse.

EDIT: And now I'm being double-teamed by a water dragon and a hill titan.

EDIT: And now a second titan has shown up and he's made out of clear glass, he was immediately swarmed by like 50 zombies but all they can manage are glancing blows while he knock off their limbs with every attack. I think I might actually lose this time.

EDIT: I'm down to one non-suicidal warlock and though the titan was almost impossible to kill, it turns out that raising it as an undead to fight invaders wasn't the best idea, it's in two reanimated pieces and they both kept their building destroying habit. So now I've got two immortal building destroyers instead of just one.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:22:41 pm by LMeire »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 28, 2014, 02:55:50 pm »

EDIT: I'm down to one non-suicidal warlock and though the titan was almost impossible to kill, it turns out that raising it as an undead to fight invaders wasn't the best idea, it's in two reanimated pieces and they both kept their building destroying habit. So now I've got two immortal building destroyers instead of just one.
I actually lol'd :D  In local news, I decided to try the Diseases addon for the first time.  The surface is relatively barren and I'm growing plants fast as I can, so brewing Medicinal Drinks at the Apothecary is slow and limited.  In the mean time, I get to enjoy this flooding my combat log;
What makes this spectacle truly wonderful is that 90% of my Dorfs are Happy & Ecstatic ???  I imagine them running around laughing and chatting with people, turning aside to barf for 5 straight minutes, then cheering up b/c they admired a fine building.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 28, 2014, 03:02:22 pm »

Careful with the vomiting. If enough dwarves are barfing up thier lunch at once it can seriously cripple FPS.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 28, 2014, 03:54:13 pm »

Careful with the vomiting. If enough dwarves are barfing up thier lunch at once it can seriously cripple FPS.
Hadn't thought about it, but you're quite right.  I have begun constructing a modest Keep on the surface, so even if a Dwarf wanders outside, they should be protected from the elements.  I don't actually know if weather has any impact on Diseases, but I've got tons of spare Bauxite I want to use up :)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 28, 2014, 05:53:30 pm »

So apparently frost wyrms breathe dragonfire.

Vitellozzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 29, 2014, 05:10:10 am »

This made my day.

I'm playing in a beta wasp fortress to give more feedback to wasp modders, until it will go in full 1.0 status.
I was making a nice fort, with tunnels and workshops and farms and everything a fort need, until in the start of my second year something choosed to show: a legendary Thunderbird, a huge prey bird many size my waspmen.
Knowing it would be no good to show ourself too aggressive, so I called inside my insects (my two militia wasps were in hospital ifor an earlier elven ambush). The Thunderbird then stayed on my map for a while, starting hunt whatever my civ had leaved outside (pets in many forms), then it came a migration wave. The bird saw them, and started its next hunt.
The luck for my newly acquired wasps was one mechanic that fought back, stabbing the big bird in the right wing with its stinger. It died shortly after that, aside with other pets and some other migrants, but that worked to make some time for the other migrators to rush my fort and stay inside, well protected.
What made my day, anyway, was the next event: a kobold carovan showed up, staying od the side of the map since I hadn't a trade depot (a sasquatch group exploited this situation to destroy some outside buildings). I was worried for those smallish little kobols, since I had a kobold fort before, and they tended to literally explode in melee fights.
It was not this case.
As soon as the Thunderbird spotted those friendly merchants, rushed to them making a swoop against one of their militia: wrong move. As soon as it was in range, the pointy spike quipped spearbold made a counterattack, vanifing the thunderbird assault, stabbing it in the leg and making it falling prone on the ground, where another kobold machete equipped quickly joined the fight, starting chipping and hacking every inch of the legendary beast, while the pointy stick lodged firmly into the beasts meat.
Result: I had my trading with those kobolds, after this magnificent and legenary fight where any of the two kobolds taked any injuries.

So, wow. I love this game.

That kobold will be sang in the next years like the hero he showed to us he is.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 29, 2014, 05:59:20 pm »

I managed to capture a werewolf. I let it loose in my moat, and threw down a bunch of captured thieves and the like. Now I have a moat filled to the brim with hatred and violence. There is only one way up, and it's a bridge I control. Can't wait for a siege to show up. It would be better to drop invaders down instead of letting the werewolves out, but meh. I'll take what I can.

The humans could handle them I think. There's a special Devil Slayer team I put up, led by Connacht the Wolf (all three Myth games are awesome by the way). They are all armed with moonsilver weapons, and every one of them is very good at their jobs. Other members of the squad include (of course) Damas and Ravanna. No Myrdred, I can't afford a mage yet.

Feels good to be kicking ass again.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 29, 2014, 07:49:34 pm »

Started up Indigorites as a practice warlock fort. Started out with all warlocks, which was a first, but I had anticipated it and set up a Warmage Leader noble just for this occurrence. Three otters were happy to provide thier souls for the first syphon set up, and all our meat, tallow, and fish from embark and from the otters is getting prepared to save space.

Seems I'm also on the edge of an evil biome, because my two prisoners spent their last month alive beating a trio of weasel skeletons to death (which were swiftly used to raise a zombie to help our fleshmonger smooth out rooms,) and it regularly rains seemingly harmless orc blood on the south part of the map. We're now low on drink, but thankfully food is plentiful.

Migrants showed up in summer as normal, among the group of mages exactly one ghoul and one skeleton, the latter of which has killed 20 centaurs, and as such has been granted the name Centaur.

EDIT: My god it's astonishing how much more effective a dungeon is with more warlocks and no fear of skeletons having little [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] hissyfits. A few skeletons to do the digging, zombies to smooth rooms and haul shit, and so much more has been managed than I've ever gotten done with warlocks before (although usually it's because humans or dwarves kill everyone before the end of the first year.)

EDIT II: Finally survived a siege as the warlocks without cheating or everyone dying. Didn't get to use the combined spike-cage trap, but now I can collect all the mangled remains of the zombie boars and bobcats the dwarves happily gunned down for me before they fucked off after a three month camping trip.

While suboptimal at only a 1-z drop, a mass of bone spikes fill a pit under a retracting bridge. I expect most enemies to survive this unharmed, but some unfortunates will likely suffer at least a broken bone here or there. To get back up and try again, they need to move through a cage-filled hallway with enough cages for 11 attackers. Capturing this many is generally enough to route at least one squad, and those that don't flee can be killed by Centaur and his Bonehorde with thier bone weapons or the eventual overlord Godric and his two attendant battlemages Reah and Artemis (all three of whom have actual metal weaponry.)

However, I do have a contingency. The spike room is sealable by bridge, keeping the rest of the enemies in there nice and secure while the cages are reloaded and thier comrades are carted away, and in the event the POWs' comrades don't flee the whole set-up can be locked down and the survivors plinked to death on the bone spikes, mauled by skeletons, or captured whichever is most practical at the time.

Time to set up my graveyards.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 30, 2014, 02:15:50 pm »

All is well at the hamlet of Cottagecraters. So far, it hasn't lived up to it's namesake, and the aboveground woodworker huts are still intact. Just had my second mood. Promptly forgot about it, and the guy went berserk, so the hunters put him down. First death of the fortress, and that's 2 years in.

Now it's time to build up a proper milita... wait... crap, I don't have any coal.
Can you get coal via prayer to Armok?
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 30, 2014, 02:39:35 pm »

All is well at the hamlet of Cottagecraters. So far, it hasn't lived up to it's namesake, and the aboveground woodworker huts are still intact. Just had my second mood. Promptly forgot about it, and the guy went berserk, so the hunters put him down. First death of the fortress, and that's 2 years in.

Now it's time to build up a proper milita... wait... crap, I don't have any coal.
Can you get coal via prayer to Armok?

You can get wood by offering ash and burning that in a smelter for 3 coal.  And you can get ash by burning things in a crematorium (like remains that you're not using).  It's not very efficient, but it's a possibility.

You can also get coal through peat.  You can buy crates of wood at Bomrek's for gold, and also order crates of wood from the elves.  The humans and dwarves will bring large numbers if you ask them as well.

In the meantime, you can use leather armor and stone weapons from the rockforge (no coal necessary).  I find that the stone blunt weapons are decent enough for an early militia.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 30, 2014, 02:42:00 pm »

You can cold hammer stuff at the Finishing Forge, if you need a military ASAP.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 113