Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185486 times)

Thelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1365 on: April 16, 2015, 02:24:45 am »

It was not the vampire who was friend to everyone else... it was the vampire who murdered Urist McMostpopulardwarf. The funny thing is imagining the situation: Urist McMostpopulardwarf gets resurrected and watches as the fort collapses when the tantrum spiral about his death starts.

"Guys! I'm alive!"

"Who cares! You were dead 5 minutes ago and that's what counts!"

Leissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: May 02, 2015, 03:46:48 am »

Pretty much nothing.

No attacks, only Keas stealing stepladders, max population (100) reached. Should I update pop cap higher to trigger something? (King, duke, what have you).

Do dwarves keep spawning babbies even when the fort is at max pop cap?
That might be a problem since the FPS is already slow at 20-25.

Maybe I should remove individual dwarf bedrooms and make dormitories to reduce pathfinding?

Just dug to the third cavern and finally found tetrahedrite - Galena makes for poor items weapon-wise, what with silver and lead being nigh-worthless for other than blunt weapons.
Had to fix save raws to be able to build a crucible to extract cobalt from cobaltite, it seems that steel cauldrons were not the exact required steel cauldrons for that purpose. Maybe that had something to do with having transmuted the iron? I doubt that though.

Two alchemists' labs pumping out iron through transmutations, maybe I'll get steel equipment eventually. That'll take a while since hauling without wheelbarrows is slow. Maybe I should make a quantum stockpile or two for galena+marble... And a third alchemy lab.

A full squad of military dwarves clad in copper and cobalt armor+weaponry are doing pretty much only individual combat drills in danger room barracks/armory, they're picking up skills well enough. Soon I'll be able to kill things in the caverns.
Only 4 viable marksdwarves, thinking of pushing that up to 6,8 or 10 before triggering a siege through the Liaison's office.

Megaproject plans are not yet in place, I'm thinking about an underground pyramid, but that would mean having to move everything down some 50 z-levels.

Dwarves are suffering from dizziness in daylight but that doesn't matter since all they need to go outside for is the trade depot.

Extreme prepared food surplus is an issue. 3-5k dwarfbucks a barrel means easy trading, but it feels a bit pointless that way.

Exported/imported wealth are both sub-100k so far, maybe that should be increased as well to trigger a regular siege? Don't know how much native gold I can find to make coins from, but that can be arranged through lead->gold transmutations.

No vampires, no undead, no invasions, no severe threats from the caves, no tantrums, no hunger, no boozelessness, no catsplosions, nothing. Nix. Nada.

Haven't dug down to magma yet, but that'll happen soon enough.

Playing MWDF Reborn.

Final tally of questions:

Any ideas on how to improve FPS performance?
Dormitories - The doom of dwarf happiness?
Megaprojects and you: How difficult do you like it?
Cats: An insight on benefits and trouble - Are you a good cat owner?
Quote from: #bay12games
<Skibiliano> I can just imagine a line of dwarves looking at two humans, "Breed!"

<Turgid> One dwarf to rule them all, one dwarf to find them, one dwarf to bring them all, and in the fortress bind them!

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: May 02, 2015, 05:16:43 am »

1) Wall off any unused hallways, the current pathing algorithm apparently checks every single nook and cranny while looking for the optimal routes- every single time. Related to this, shrink your some of pastures so the animals don't move as much/far.

2) Install a mist-generator/zoo/statue garden/whatever in the dorms and they'll be happy just going in. Just make sure the mayor is kept happy and good at consoling, sad dwarves will meet with him and his social skills and happiness have a positive impact on dwarves that respect authority. (Dwarves that hate authority/tradition will only get angrier, however. If you have one uch a dwarf that's prone to stress or anger, it might be a better idea to just kill them now.)

3) I tend to go with a death-pit/labyrinth/cavern wildlife preserve. It negates some of the solution to Q1, but it's pretty entertaining to watch an FB chase goblins around his personal lair.

4) Pasture the strays on food stores for maximum effectiveness, cats also make cheap food-sources and live-bait but dogs are better for those roles and never randomly get adopted to boot. For actual pet ownership, pasture the specific animal in whatever room the dwarf prefers to sleep in to maximize the happiness it causes as that's now the most useful thing the cat does. (They always pick the closest room to where they first get tired, so a good choice would be the dorm closest to his workshop or the dining hall.)
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Leissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: May 02, 2015, 06:55:05 am »

Since my bedrooms are already shaped like this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, do you think I could just get rid of the natural walls in between and build walls around it? The rooms are already sized and most have a coffer and a cabinet for belongings. Visible is also the 1x3 up/down stair and a two-tile waterfall/mist system to either keep the dwarves clean or at least happy when going to the dining room/wells and bedrooms.

It's worked out okay-ish so far, what with ten rooms in a row and 5 tiles up and down from industry to keep down the noise, but would making it a dormitory increase FPS?

Find out in the next episode of "What's happening, Urist?" at a different dwarf fortress, at a different dwarf time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:20:19 am by Leissi »
Quote from: #bay12games
<Skibiliano> I can just imagine a line of dwarves looking at two humans, "Breed!"

<Turgid> One dwarf to rule them all, one dwarf to find them, one dwarf to bring them all, and in the fortress bind them!

Lord scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of the steelflame fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: May 10, 2015, 08:19:17 pm »

embarked with 2 female tuskoks as my wagon pullers and sometime after the the first caravan a caff falls out of one of them...the caravan tuskies got one of them pregers... XD

EDIT: and now tuskoks#2 had one as well...had no idea this can happen...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:45:48 pm by Lord scorch »
("Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
I'm 99% sure this is how Resident Evil started.)

("A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration")

("I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.")

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: May 18, 2015, 02:39:06 pm »

Discovered kaolinite.  Or as the dwarves like to call it, "a license to print money".

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: May 26, 2015, 04:12:18 pm »

Been playing an orc fort that is going rather well.... so far. Thrashed a dozen invasions/ambushes, and killed one flying dragon megabeast (thought it was luck). Then I get this:

I did not have a good feeling seeing that wall of scary text. My fort is kept artificially small (60 cap at present) and my military is about a dozen, though they are pretty well trained by now. I have 4 Dragon Society uruks, 3 corsairs up on their melee but not started training guns yet, a couple other uruks and orcs melee trained and a sorceror. I hadn't done much with the latter beyond melee train him. Most were in full lamelar (this is a copper/zinc embark, so my metals source is Elfite/Dwarfite/Humanite and trading), though that is less and less an issue with their mastery of shields and professionalism with dodging and armor... their armor doesn't get scratched often. My raiding has gone decently well too... though took a lot of raids to get a dwarf captive to start getting me some ore beyond malachite and sphalerite.

Anyway, back to the excitement now that you have some context and I have built some suspense...

The wraith appeared on the far north edge and flew southwest staying outside my outer wall. So I sent my dragons up on one of the shooting platforms and stationed another squad (2 melee swordsmen) and the sorceror behind them at ground level, hoping to bait it into the walls and down where the melee troops could charge. I put two other squads of melee fighters near the central stairs down into my underground main fort.

The first dragon orc reached the platform and the wraith was about 10 distance west. She sent an arrow at it and it immediately charged her knocking her off the platform and stunning her briefly. (This report is from the wraith's POV, so the fall and stun aren't showing.)

She kept the wraith occupied trying to land a hit while another dragon shot at it. Then the sorceror walked up and tossed a couple debuffs then chopped it in half.

I have two more dreamwalkers that I clearly need to train and learn to use.  :o  I think and oracle and a druid. Them ice cubes worry me about blue on blue issues. (get it?)

The sorceror was an embark orc (as was one dreamwalker).  He's just running with his default class spells as far as I know. I did get him the sigil blade from a raid on a ruins site, but haven't tried setting him up with shard ammo so far. With my fort setup he may be able to be useful from the fighting platforms on the walls.

As usual, tweaking my gate setup. This one has worked pretty well so far. Of course, doesn't enter into things when the incoming nasties have wings...

The above is ground level, of course. There are 4 bridge "gates." The main external one is in far right with a dire wolf sentry behind fortifications. So far nothing has gotten past him unspotted. He usually spots ambushes before they enter the gate. Thieves get spotted right in front of the fortification.

The second gate is in the middle in front of the second wolf sentry. That's meant to break up large groups. There are no traps in the first section on the right so they don't get run off before I can catch a bunch (need that metal. meat, scalps and souls.) I could put some cage traps there, but if I trap a leader that can stall their forward progress and I want them deeper in before I slam the gate behind them.

There's a shooting platform two levels above the second gate. You can see those below in the 2 above ground level shot. I can position archers or mages there and they can see out to their full range both east and west... and outside the walls to boot.

The third gate is just left and north of the second one. It's a bypass gate I leave open when going out to loot. The fourth is just to its left and a space north. That one is the main inner gate the gets closed at the same time as the first one to trap the invasion in the gate kill zone. The third, bypass, gate is closed as soon as the sentries alert me of incoming. Oh, the levers are all in the underground main hall where there are usually loiterers.

The weapon traps in the second section chew up the incoming pretty well though. So far none have made it past without serious injuries. I have a couple saber cats to greet them, and move some melee squads up to clean up the leakers.

Mostly, though, the dragons shoot from the walls on the perimeter. That works great for breaking sieges, but means exposing grunts to potential ambushes, etc.  I've lost a few diplomats and incoming immigrants to those, despite hustling some covering fire to help as fast as I can. I also had one weird case where some invaders spawned right in my covered edge wagon "safe" entry. Fortunately, it was just the edge of a clump and the trader guards wiped them out before I could even reach them.

That's the news from Lake Elf-be-gone, where all the orc children are above average biters.

Edit:

Hmm, I said "she" but it appears it was not the dragon I thought it was. My first duo are two females, then next is two males, but I had them combined into one squad at the time and I guess one male outhustled the other three.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:46:12 pm by vonsch »

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: May 26, 2015, 11:27:23 pm »

Lets see I am playing Masterwork reborn for starters and playing at 1/8th speed.

I got a moat dug out around my citadel with ramps leading up to the 2nd floor trad depot (read: shooting gallery)

a level about that I have four 10X10X2 water cisterns that I made my bored dwarfs bucket fill from my first cavern layer while my miners was digging a drain line so I could dig further down.

My current ruling body is made up of mostly succubi btw and I have no idea how that happened legends said the previous monarch died dueling a megabeast one too many times (three times if I remember correctly)

I haven't had any fun outside of a were-porcupine and the water filled cavern that covers about 90% of my playable area along around 10 z levels, and a weird glitch that made df crash when I built inside the first cavern till I started draining the cavern...

So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: May 27, 2015, 03:14:02 pm »

@vonsch, nice report, that looks like your Sorcerer was getting good use of his sigilblade.  If you give your Dragons or other soldiers orichalcum or bloodsteel weapons they should also benefit from the sundering effect!

You mentioned interest in shard ammo but worrying a bit about "blue on blue".

Plain bladeshards just act like normal ranged ammo, although they're pretty good armor piercing anyway.  Agony bladeshards just apply pain and (should) have no friendly fire chance.  Wraithbinding has a chance to turn the affected target undead (which are hostile both friend and foe, although the sorc should be able to defend himself at close range as needed using Oblivion's touch).  Corpse explosion is fully safeties off, let the user beware.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: May 27, 2015, 05:14:20 pm »

Yeah, I know the unenchanted shards are "safe" as far as friendly fire goes. My main concern is ice mage issues. Not sure if they will put others at risk the way (I think) dwarven ones do.

I am about to start making bloodsteel arrows rather than poisoning my copper ones. I have the poison system working fine with two poisoners, one makes the poisons, the other applies it, with a step-by-step stockpile delivery system. I don't really want to do orichalcum arrows, but bloodsteel is renewable with all this sieges and ambushes. I am having trouble getting trade caravans due to being under constant siege from multiple enemies. I drive one off and another is already there. There isn't a lot from caravans that I need, mostly I just want to unload some junk on them.  8)

I made an oracle and he has a sigil blade too now so I could add him into one dragon squad and the sorceror into the other and see how many more elves I can drop before they run off.

The work on poisons with orcs should help me a lot when I next try kobolds. Never really set up the industry before. They aren't terribly deadly, but the occasional paralysis from bitterroot keeps them in range longer. Probably better off trapping enemies in enclosed areas and shooting them up with poisons before sending in ogres and druids.

I've stopped mining as the captive dwarf does a fine job. Have an elf too, but not hurting for wood. I can afford to buy anthracite now, though my steelwood and ironwood plantations are keeping my fuel stocks up nicely, even with constant melting and remelting as I skill up my weaponsmith and armorer.

A low metals embark is no problem for orcs, that's for sure. Even with no caravans. A low wood and no fuel embark would be a far greater challenge. 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: May 27, 2015, 05:31:21 pm »

Yeah, I know the unenchanted shards are "safe" as far as friendly fire goes. My main concern is ice mage issues. Not sure if they will put others at risk the way (I think) dwarven ones do.

(...)

A low metals embark is no problem for orcs, that's for sure. Even with no caravans. A low wood and no fuel embark would be a far greater challenge.

With the Frostskalds' native spells you can give your own guys frostbite (skalds themselves are immune) and damage to clothing and stuff.  I've never personally seen friendly fire kills but other people have reported it.  I'm not sure whether the reports have been positive it's the native spells though -- the Staff of Storms and associated runic ammo like Chain Lightning are definitely killzone material.  A Frostskald with a sigilblade on the other hand is *supposed* to be safe.  Well, you know, safe-ish.  They are not the mage class that you want firing into a general melee, you want them unloading on the Deep Ones from behind a barrier, or applying the kill shots in an execution pit.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:39:08 pm by smakemupagus »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: May 29, 2015, 03:43:42 am »

New succubus fort to test stuff (in vanilla but I figure I'd post it here).

In a tundra, near tower and elves, there is a camp on the map with a lone human who tried to attack the succubi asap. The lord of pain dispatched him.

Aquifer everywhere, no stone, no metal, barely any wood, not even an anvil because the civ did not strike iron ore. I need to add a custom metal to the race so this stop being an issue.

Packs of wolves on the map, lord of pain and his trainee goes and kill those for experience and profit. Professional cook immigrated and made masterwork biscuits. Got sand for glass but no cauldron to build the magma well, I am cursing myself for making this change.

Fighters are equipped with wolf leather and bone (praise the toad for fixing bone works!) now I must survive until the caravan is back so I can buy bronze equipment with prepared food. I made a bow and arrow for a good hunter migrant so hopefully this will bring more materials.

This is the most interesting fort so far. This is why I don't embark on woodlands with rivers anymore.

Update: Finally caravan brought a cauldron, now I am making glass blocks and slade boulders to salvage the wood used in construction. Also migrants brought two fire imps, that will help against the inevitable zombie attack.

Update 2: Crashes, crashes everywhere on linux.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:47:10 am by Boltgun »

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: June 02, 2015, 02:21:13 pm »

Started a new fort.  Turns out my entire dwarven civilization consists of 7 greater badgermen and thousands of various animals.  This should be interesting.  Got to see if I can actually keep interest long enough to play this out.  We already out number the mountainhome 3-1 (and we are actually dwarves, by gum).

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: June 04, 2015, 09:42:52 pm »

Vonsch- I demand more pics! and possibly a detailed journal... and make a me sammich while you're at it.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: June 13, 2015, 03:20:04 pm »

OK, this is just weird.  In this world there are 2 dwarven civilizations that have survived 400 years.  Between them they contain 1 dwarf.  One has just 215 succubi, the other 215 goblins/11 badgermen/1 lone dwarf.  One civ has had 1 successfully defending war (with one battle), the other has had none.  Neither has claimed any sites, nor are they slavers.  They just don't have any dwarves...

I've noticed that if you run worldgen for 400 years, the few times dwarves survive they almost always contain no dwarves (and have had several kings that became night creatures).  In this world there is a frogman and a gnome civ that contain none of the titular species, but everything else is either dead or primarily what it says on the tin.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 113