Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185499 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1440 on: September 07, 2015, 07:50:13 am »

I've recently genned a new world in which kobolds and bashees are the dominant races, with the former having lost many hamlets to the latter but still holding the majority of the world's sites. Also interesting about the world is the powerful kingdom of the Hermit along the Eastern coast of the Mandelbrot sea, and the fact that humans have gone extinct- apparently having been caught in the middle of the Banshee-Kobold wars.

I've started up my Human fortress along the main paved road between the Hermit's multiple mountainhomes. After so many human games where I depended on immigration, I'm rather eager to see how long I can keep a generational fort going. Assisting this honorable endeavor are my pantheon's three very useful goddesses:

Iguk of Oaths, Marriage, and Strength will make my warriors stronger, so I can pack their uniforms with more armor and bigger weapons to minimize casualties.

Rithod of Chaos and War will drive my enemies berserk, further reducing my population losses.

Lastly and perhaps most importantly to my mission of reclaiming Humanity's birthright, Aspka of Family will reduce pregnancy times and thus ease the lack of immigration with more fortress-born children.

Basic needs are all met, so all I need to do for now is keep praying while I get the outer walls up.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: September 07, 2015, 11:58:18 pm »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgvtik9rxmx1nk1/Death%20fist.jpg?dl=0

he earned a new nickname from that. he also dodged the fireball that went over his head and impacted on a wall far beyond. somehow i expected moar...

>.> he hit it so hard my game just crashed soon after while saving ><
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:03:48 am by Fairin »

Rotten_Karma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: September 08, 2015, 10:13:22 am »

Currently in the 'bold village of Jintientana, "Chaintramples", there is a lethal epidemic ongoing.  This epidemic has killed 4 'bolds and infected 3 others, and looks like it will kill one of those.  The symptoms including muttering about "Stone" and "Gems".  The infected seem to accept clay cabochons are shiny, but refuse to believe that a boulder crab is a boulder.   In other news this is the first time that I have had a fort run for 2 years with no mining accidents. 

Also out of 15 native born Giant Bark Scorpions, 13 are male and 2 are lesbian.  The females i brought on embark can of course die any day now thanks to [MAXAGE:2:10].    My 'bolds will probably have to find a different guard animal.  All in all, it seems to be going ok for a 'bold village. 

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: September 11, 2015, 04:34:08 pm »

Same human fort, I just got my 2nd caravan from the home-civ and a 3rd immigration wave of like 2 guys, bringing me up to 21 counting the barbarian I hired through the tavern. So my civ isn't quite as dead as I thought it was even though the screen listing "important leaders" doesn't list anybody as being in charge, but humans are apparently still kicking around somewhere and able to immigrate to and trade with me.

I'm not really sure what to make of it all, honestly. Currently operating under the pretense of a series of tiny, city-state republics that don't show up on the larger map.

Also, I learned that lead is inexplicably more valuable than silver in the local metal trader. I suspect he's a counterfeiter but can't bring myself to care.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:35:56 pm by LMeire »

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: September 11, 2015, 07:24:29 pm »

Still working on my Warlock fort with the giant tower. So far the walls on the ground are built, meaning that there's only one ground route in and out. A route heavily enforced with traps, funneled to a bottleneck, and defended with a ballista. I was able to survive my first few sieges just by capturing most of the enemy's main force and chasing the rest off with my soldiers. Unfortunately, I keep hitting bugs with burrows so trying to keep burrows up screw with my workshops. This lead to me not keeping everyone in a burrow during the sieges which further led to me yelling at my warlocks for rushing through the gates (and the enemy) while my soldiers move too slowly to so much as catch up to anything. I lost a ghoul who was my only hunter, and main source of meat and bones, and a warlock that I had to subsequently resurrect.

I'm now focusing on trying to actually killing all these caged prisoners (and an elephant that just happened to run through my gates). I made a mistake in outfitting my soldiers only in dreadnaught armor, not realizing how they are too slow to do anything once I release the prisoners to be cut down. Now I'm just building a pit to throw them all into and hope they kill each other or just give me time to build up an execution squad.

Funny thing is, losing that ghoul meant more than just losing a good deal of bones and meat. The thing came back as a ghost, and before I was even aware of it, he scared my overlord to death. So now I have to resurrect him now too.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: September 17, 2015, 01:16:43 am »

I got bored of the monotony and called a siege of gnomes thinking it'd be easy. Just my luck that the midgets brought war giant-tigers, it didn't go well.

Merlin4711

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: September 18, 2015, 01:07:44 pm »

Original Masterwork
Well, my Warlock-Settlement is kind of weird I'm afraid of....
Not a single ghoul at the moment, no metal (except for two pieces of meteorite), but 150 undead creatures rowing the country-site. And this isn't even a evil biome. All started with a genius-idea: enable refuse-hauling from outdoor, and place one of these nifty black obelisks next to the refuse/corpse-pile. Well... the most deadly creatures right now are undead mussel-shells, which are fast as a dwarf who found a sock and can punch everything to death.
Next to them, there are five undead forest spiders...parts (well... there where only three of them while there did live), who hate conglomerate-statues even more than living creatures. Every time I place one in my dinning-hall, the spiders pop up and uninstall these statues, so my warlocks haul them back to storage. I have no idea whats going on. Tight-closing the doors only make these spiders wait next to them so they can slip through and do what they like most: uninstall more conglomerate statues. Even more mysterious: they don't feel offended by green glass statues.
I wonder if I can use this for make these spiders (parts) go to a specific location...

Anyway, I won't get any prisoner while these 150 undead "guards" are active, nor a caravan :(
And some genius ate all blueberries before my cook-witch was able to make biscuits out of these, so ne seeds any more. No fish, no meat... well, that will end in trouble.

Science! Part:
Well... did some testing: forest-spider corpses don't like conglomerate-statues, but green glass statues. Unfortunately forest troll corpses don't like green glass statues, but doesn't feel offended by conglomerate statues. *sigh* Oh, first warlock got mad because of no food. Time to say good bye

Polardwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: September 19, 2015, 07:33:40 pm »

Sooo, in my fort a zombie just got a mood and made an adjustable explosive breastplate....Do I need to worry about this thing blowing up? What does it do? It has the potential to be really cool or do absolutely nothing.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: September 19, 2015, 08:25:40 pm »

Sooo, in my fort a zombie just got a mood and made an adjustable explosive breastplate....Do I need to worry about this thing blowing up? What does it do? It has the potential to be really cool or do absolutely nothing.

From the manual:

Yes it explodes, but only if you give it to something to use as armor. Though, given that it's an artifact and thus indestructible in most circumstances, (One of Splint's orcs managed to make one out of "announcement" that retroactively didn't exist.) I have to wonder if maybe this thing would just destroy everything around it and then burn forever. Could make an interesting Doomsday device if you could successfully rig it up somehow.

Merlin4711

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: September 20, 2015, 04:03:40 am »

Masterwork / Succubi

Had four flourishing years in a scorching desert. Beginning was hard, because there were no trees at all, and no other sources of fuel. But than an elven ambush appeared, in best desert-warrior-fashion popping up from nowhere in the middle of the sand. Unfortunally for them the guys who triggered this were goblin merchants who whipped their elven asses till kingdom came. But by doing this, they lost some... personal responsible for the goods. And after the elves where gone, the goblins decided to regroup somewhere else, leaving me with six death elf blade-dancers clad in mirthil armor, wielding moonsilver swords and a wagon full of wood and stealoak-acrons... This stuff grows like hell, even in a scorching desert.

Needless to say, the next four years went very  well for these succubi. No ambushers, wealthy caravans, some great hunters who provided the fortress with a neverending supply of bones and meat. And a four-woman military eqipped with mirthil corsages and moonsilver blade whips.
What I didn't take into account was that my "Lady of pain" (chief military cubus) was a "Lord of Pain" (wonder how he did wear his corsett), one of... three males in the 80 succubus fortress. That lucky guy made friend with every single succubus. What doesn't sound this bad...

At the end of the fifth year the elven decided to do a massive ambush-assault, spawing four ambushes while the goblin caravan moved in. Okay, half of them decided to move through the "suspicious hall of green statues of killed elves with those interesting slits everywhere" and didn't came out (or when they did, they didn't bring all their limbs with them), but the others had a force of angry war-unicorn with them. Five of these horned ponys got kicked to death by my only male-cauchemar, but there were still much elves and war-beasts left. While the Whip-Dames (succubi with whips) performed pretty well and out-danced many blade-dancers, the Lord of Pain turned out to be a retard-fighter. Luckily for him, his report got censored by dwarf fortress (no recent reports), but he didn't yield any kills I'm afraid of.

So... elves dispatched, some in cages for later amusement, I was like "wow". The losses were pretty low at my side. Okay, some civibus took serious damage, but nothing deathly. So my only loss was the Lord of Pain. Correctly: that guy, who was friend with every single female in that fortress. Guess what happen right now: "We don't need elves, we can' kill ourselves pretty well without help form outside" *sigh*

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:09:55 am by Merlin4711 »

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: September 28, 2015, 05:10:00 am »

Science! Part:
Well... did some testing: forest-spider corpses don't like conglomerate-statues, but green glass statues. Unfortunately forest troll corpses don't like green glass statues, but doesn't feel offended by conglomerate statues. *sigh* Oh, first warlock got mad because of no food. Time to say good bye

I enjoy having massive roves of undead about, but I've hit a huge problem. They keep knocking over all my buildings...and coffins...and slabs....

Find any good ways of dealing with it?
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: October 04, 2015, 11:52:45 pm »

Science! Part:

I enjoy having massive roves of undead about, but I've hit a huge problem. They keep knocking over all my buildings...and coffins...and slabs....

Find any good ways of dealing with it?

Raising those shits outside where they can't get at your shit. That's what I do, anyway.

-

After being so against them for so long, I've decided to fire up the 34.11 Masterwork and play as the succubi for funsies. And maybe run a warlock dungeon alongside it on a copy world.

I'm sure this will in no way end horribly.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: October 16, 2015, 03:01:23 pm »

2nd Obsidian, late Winter
Sawmill: Dunno where my head was at, was waiting around for some more iron to make a saw blade but we have a bit of steel.  That works.  We really should be planting trees with this fuel shortage.  Hell, we should have been planting trees a year ago.

18th Obsidian
Hey, we have a gnome caravan!  WTF happened last season w/ the dwarves??

1st Granite, early Spring
Well, that was interesting.  Kinda.  The gnomes didn’t bring many of the expected jewels and there weren’t enough gold doodads to melt down to even one bar.  Still less iron.  But there was one gold-bearing rock (expensive!  600!) and an iron sawblade.  Sure, now that Weps used our remaining steel to make one for the sawmill, the gnomes bring a cheap one of iron.  Still, we bought it, will deconstruct the present building and put up another with the iron blade.  One isn’t really worth melting but surely it will trade to the Elves for more than the 160 we paid for this iron one.  And either will saw the logs and let us get to planting trees.  Actually, glass pumps and bringing up magma is sounding better all the time.  It’s a pain, certainly, but this place is secure with both or all three gates raised, self-sufficient and all that.  Only 16 dwarves isn’t much of a military, anyhow.  Maybe one more set of migrants then, Gone Fishin’, as the sign says.  Come to think of that, I wonder -- does Masterwork let you put up signs anymore, or was that just in an earlier release?  Was looking, wasn’t that under the Decorations menu?  Checking and – what’s this?  Magma well?  What the … well?  Go away for a year and this is what happens.  Checking the Bay12 forum, p81 on the thread and sheesh, seems these don’t work any better than the Alchemist/Blood gems.  Still thinking about closing shop and digging down with glass pumps for the old-school blood of the mountain …
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: October 21, 2015, 04:22:04 pm »

The White Tiger Baroness Consort arrived as a Skulking Thief :-\  Guess times are tough for everyone.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: October 26, 2015, 07:16:29 am »

14th Granite, early Spring
Seems these dwarves have gotten serious about the gem encrusting: a separate workroom was dug out just for two training jewelry workshops and stockpiles for cut green glass and the rough green glass that Steuben is cranking out as fast as he can, trying to reach legendary status and impress his new love and our Baroness, Bookie.   Really serious – a baby of 1 month age, Od Waxypick is cutting the glass.  I thought at first he was just idling at the workstation but no, he toddles over to the stockpile, grabs a chunk of glass and cuts it.  Hmmph.  I thought perhaps the little snot was destined for great things but he’s the one who declared celibacy last month on the day after his birth and swore an oath to Armok.  There’s just no telling with these religious fanatic types.  Still, he’s pretty fast cutting that glass –
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 113