Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185691 times)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1455 on: November 05, 2015, 11:09:04 am »

I drained a mountain!

Well, one level of a magma pipe, anyway. 
The dwarves are lifting magma up in prep for an epic Stupid Dwarf Project.  I’ve not had much luck with bloody stones or wells, elevators, massive pumps, cradles, wind farms or any of the many other methods described on the boards.  Just simple pumps, dwarven powered.  After much fumbling personal study, I’ve determined that while NecroRebel’s 1-over-3 powered stacks might be the most efficient means of lift, the Magma Lift Project breaks down if any pump loses prime, collapsing the chain above it and for my guys, in a fortress of about 60 adults, the best we can do is to have about 24 at a time willing to man the pumps.  So we bring it up 20 levels at a time, 5x5 (same gain in lag efficiency as the original 3x3 but with extra cushion, doesn’t take that much longer to dig) and then every 20th level is a reservoir with raising bridges that double and then double again the volume, which is more than enough to supply the next 20 z levels toward the surface. 

The theory is good, it works, the first 20 levels went off without a hitch.  So did the second 20.  For the third, it was time to refill that first series and the pump directly over the magma, wouldn’t.  ??   It did work, then it didn’t.  Turns out, while I’d been watching the pool numbers dance in red between 1’s and 7’s, it wasn’t refilling as expected: that entire top level just evaporated!  Very odd, that.  To continue the Project, it was necessary to dig down one more level below that first, original pump and have the guys construct another pump station just to bring it up to a reservoir on a level where the stuff used to be.  I watched this for nearly two years, waiting for that pool to refill, never did.  Still hasn’t. 

The Pipe:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This isn’t an elegant solution, in part because there were some valuable gems discovered (couldn’t just leave ‘em there), making for an uneven shape.  The raising bridges in lower corridors are just my paranoia from earlier fortresses with flying surprises.  It actually isn't a true pipe, either; you can see the candy floor tiles in the upper corner -- this is just the uppermost of three levels above the sea, the part that first opened up on the screen.   

A typical pump station and a 20th level pit stop:

Urist’s Cradle can sometimes be constructed by the first 7 dwarves within a year of embark, Wiki says.  This stacked system took a dozen dwarves nearly three years to complete and burned a lot of trees for fuel to get that many glass pump parts and grates (107 levels of lift).  But now we have magma furnaces and smelters just two levels below the original Metalworks and access to unlimited magma, the only restriction being the near-surface reservoir of 20x20 size.  That should be plenty to deal with those damn highly skilled War Elephants that come to visit.  I’m thinking, minecart shotgun …
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: November 08, 2015, 12:34:33 am »

I'm not sure why, but every Warlock game I play turns into a bunch of Adams Family dollhouses. I almost can't wait until they're updated to .40 so I can obsess over the exceedingly rare and therefore precious married couples' feelings for eachother and their hopefully numerous zombie children.

Unfortunately for my latest Evil Suburb, an army of dwarves came knocking and wouldn't take my polite-yet-firm "Please go away" for an answer before cleaving their way through all of the undead pets and my ironbone security guards before murdering the Overlord and his devoted family. Why does everything hate my happiness?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

AQuebman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: November 12, 2015, 01:06:21 pm »

So I just noticed one of my dwarfs is worshipping a deity named...cum :o!?

Am I controlling a college dorm or a group of dwarves trying to survive lol?  I feel like the dwarves are playing a prank on me or they all are 16 year old humans in disguise.

I just hope that deity never shows up in person.  Is that still a thing in Masterwork reborn?

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: November 12, 2015, 06:28:17 pm »

Am I controlling a college dorm or a group of dwarves trying to survive lol?  I feel like the dwarves are playing a prank on me or they all are 16 year old humans in disguise.

I just hope that deity never shows up in person.  Is that still a thing in Masterwork reborn?
Hes... coming ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: November 12, 2015, 06:48:45 pm »

Welcome to the bay 12 forums, where we respect twisted minds such as yourself.

AQuebman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: November 13, 2015, 12:59:59 pm »

He better not be!  I run a classy outfit I dont care how friendly he is hes going in the refuse pile if he thinks hes coming to my fortress lol.

Love how ridiculous this game can be sometimes.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: November 14, 2015, 03:50:32 pm »

some of my military died. its a shame, I rather liked some of them.

after this incident I decided to use the admatite we have ((I cheated a little and used reveal to find it, I was starting to think e did not have any.)) to make some addy armor, to replace the gem-tiped we have been using up till now.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: November 17, 2015, 05:00:38 am »

Trying out humans again after spending so much time on dwarves and warlocks. Nothing really makes a person appreciate how easy it is to just live underground when playing as humans. Building up above ground means trying to section off large portions of the map with walls just to accommodate workshops, farms, guildhalls, quarries, merchant stalls, etc.. Building vertically seems necessary to cut down on long walks so now I have three guildhall towers and I'm building elevated rooms for my humans because I already am using up most of the surface with workshops.

Oddly enough, even on 1/8 calendar speed, I never have the time to make trade items. My humans are either deforesting the map, mining, building structures, or keeping us feed. We never have enough food, blocks, or rooms. Though there isn't really a lot of valuable stuff on the map anyway. Just trees and fish.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: November 30, 2015, 06:03:49 am »

New somethings:

1)  Orcs came in ambush at lvl 3 skill following a caravan, armed with rusty iron throwing nets.  Quickly taking out the web turrets along the walls, they came out of nowhere and managed to trap several civilians before even the 2z scarecrows saw ‘em coming and sounded the alarm.  With a dozen skilled archers, they were tough to take out with the (mostly) melee troops in this young fortress.  Left behind 69 rusty iron traps and nets, being melted down now after removing the rust.  One friendly casualty.

2) A cook was startled, came with this announcement:

Armok’s Wards stationed around have previously cured a couple of dwarves of madness, we’ve had some pentagrams scribbled on the floors but not for several years, no vampires, no werebeasts that weren’t put down before affecting anyone, nobody hanging around the refuse dumps … I cheated and DFHack says there’s no cursed ones on the map so, what’s this announcement mean?
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1464 on: December 01, 2015, 11:48:06 am »

jimboo, enjoy the cult.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: December 06, 2015, 06:36:35 am »

Is the Cult of the Carp God hidden FUN?

jimboo, enjoy the cult.

OK, this fortress has been pretty lax in its religious obligations.  Pick an apt dwarf, a month of praying, then 3 months of praying, then six months of praying.   Like it says in the manual.  The manual also says, “If you wonder what this is all about, check the General Changes tab and look up cults.”  Say what?  Where is the General Changes tab? 

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: December 06, 2015, 01:39:17 pm »

Trying out humans again after spending so much time on dwarves and warlocks. Nothing really makes a person appreciate how easy it is to just live underground when playing as humans. Building up above ground means trying to section off large portions of the map with walls just to accommodate workshops, farms, guildhalls, quarries, merchant stalls, etc.. Building vertically seems necessary to cut down on long walks so now I have three guildhall towers and I'm building elevated rooms for my humans because I already am using up most of the surface with workshops.

Oddly enough, even on 1/8 calendar speed, I never have the time to make trade items. My humans are either deforesting the map, mining, building structures, or keeping us feed. We never have enough food, blocks, or rooms. Though there isn't really a lot of valuable stuff on the map anyway. Just trees and fish.

Wait, calendar speed?  Is that the timestream DFHack plugin?  If so, how exactly is it used?  I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around it; it looks like it only speeds time up.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: December 08, 2015, 05:36:21 pm »

I wonder if DF plans these things.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: February 14, 2016, 08:12:48 pm »

New dorf fort in an evil biome. For some reason, the undead a particularly persistent here than usual, raising in greater numbers and in a higher frequency than usual; probably because there is just a ton of animals spawning into the area.

Just trying to set the fort up, I've had gone through three embarks that I had to abandon before the summer (granted I am on 1/8th speed) before I've gotten the fourth to get to the summer months.

For a long time, I've had more tombs than bed rooms and the process of building the walls/ceiling of the defensive tower over the fort (because of all the zombie birds) took two embarks to complete. The river is full of hippos, crocodiles, and alligators and not all of them are alive. The sky rains slime that makes dwarves nauseous and it does so so often that it is practically impossible to work outside without being exposed to the slimy rain.

So overall, I haven't had a lack of things to do. I have also had the pleasure of seeing a zombie milkfish somehow managing to bite a dwarf in the head and damage the brain, killing the poor sap. I would say that is physically impossible, but I watched it happen.

Update: Due to the unforeseen consequences of creating a finished goods stockpile, my dwarves have now successfully destroyed themselves from a tantrum spiral. Looks like it wasn't for the greater good for my dwarves to just decide to collect clothes from outside our walls just to fill out our stockpile huh? I always forget how stupid dwarves can be, and how bad they are at running away from zombies.

Granted, being unaware that fortifications don't stop crocodiles from getting into my fort through my well if the water is at full depth did not help. I did learn something new from it though. I've been playing this game for years and I am still learning  :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:33:37 pm by c0mplex »

Devin9

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: February 15, 2016, 08:05:44 am »

He better not be!  I run a classy outfit I dont care how friendly he is hes going in the refuse pile if he thinks hes coming to my fortress lol.

Love how ridiculous this game can be sometimes.
Indeed.
Best brook name ever.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 113