Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 184846 times)

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 06:39:48 am »

I'm learning from my mistakes... and could you keep your voice down, they might hear you.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 08:39:56 am »

So I just got the wall up around the 2nd level of my above ground structure, which I use for military training/woodcutting, with an eventual statue garden on the roof.

As I begin to designate a small portion of the roof while my carpenters builds the room walls I notice I have a miner stuck on top, thankfully still alive, but thirsty and hungry. The thing is, he is stuck on top of the outer wall, to which there is no access, and has never been access. So I really have no idea how he got up there, especially since someone's dog was up there too...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 08:50:50 am »

They dodged diagonally up the wall.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Pharaun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 09:33:17 am »

Kobolds need several, usually 3, successful thefts before they send ambushes. Just saying.

Kobold snatchers drop those (although if you have a few dozen, maybe you provoked an actual kobold ambush somehow?)

In Orc Fortress the Kobold Trickster Hut opens them (automatically).  They contain lots of valuable crafts, so if you have dozens of them, you're pretty rich.

The way I've designed my entrance is such that there are two archer's barracks on either side with outward facing, staggered fortifications. I generally d-b-f most of the stuff outside of the walls once I've got trees growing underground, and there are a handful of strategically placed wolves who do nothing but discover snatchers and thieves. It's not so much a consequence of having actually been robbed and more from instantaneously gibbing any kobold that's revealed. I might have exaggerated when I said several dozen.

Edit:
Triplets born, of which one was a sorceror. Already my favorite orc, and she's only about fifteen minutes old.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 03:06:04 pm by Pharaun »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 05:38:55 am »

I have an AWESOMEEMBARK if anyone wants a copy!

(It's for Orcfort.)

It has two streams in a config that makes a waterfall, but while the upper stream is labelled as being on Z-level 0, the other is... on Z-level -40. I embarked with 14 orcs, but you can leave if you want and reclaim with however as many as you want.

I will be putting it up on dffd in a bit, and if anyone wants it, I'll stick it up here.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 06:31:36 am »

I have a Dwarf who is miserable, starving, dehydrated, yet not shown in the bottom right counter. At least he's basically a useless sod..

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 07:53:36 am »

THAT'S what that thing is for?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 09:27:41 am »

While the upper stream is labelled as being on Z-level 0, the other is... on Z-level -40.

:o 
That's nuts!

My fort has a pretty good chemistry industry going -- massacre antmen (maybe they should get some dartguns or something to put up a fight at range?), melt down all the rusty iron & steel, strip mine a layer of rocksalt and flux to make acid, clean it up to regular steel.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:33:02 am by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 09:45:23 am »

Antmen should be pretty decent against ranged, because of their 3 shields. Is that not the case?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Navatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 10:16:47 am »

What self respecting orc uses missiles to massacre ants?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 10:21:50 am »

Exactly, that's why you make the snaga do it ^^

They're good for testing all kinds of stuff -- defenseless* at range meatsacks for magic testing; lots of rusty metal to be acid cleaned at the Blacksmoke furnace; any survivors who pass the Resource Collection & Massacre area are funneled into the minotaur labyrinth.

*I'm sure you're right that the shields improve their average life expectancy by a few combat rounds, but it doesn't change the tactical situation much, since they can never return fire.  Not necessarily a bad thing I guess, I just mentioned it because I thought vanilla cave-men have blowguns, no big deal either way
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:29:32 am by smakemupagus »

Navatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 10:39:28 am »

I said orc, not a goblin :)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 11:00:46 am »

I said orc, not a goblin :)
Damn straight. I don't even use ranged fighters in Orcfort, they're underpowered. Snaga don't get to fight either. It's all my Uruks (called Slayers, Tundra/Ice Lords/Ladies, Knights, Samurai, Warlords), the Ronin (called Blademasters or just Ronin, since that's already a cool name) the Ologs (called Destroyers, Annihilators, Rooks) and the stronger of my normal orcs (called Frostguard, Honourbound, Oathbound, Twilight Rangers (the light fighters)). Snaga have no place in the military for me.

While the upper stream is labelled as being on Z-level 0, the other is... on Z-level -40.

:o 
That's nuts!
If you want it I can put it up on dffd in the morning.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 07:24:45 am »

Started up a fort near a volcano that is almost just a hole in the ground (has some thin ridges shootingup) to speed up my forging and all that great dwarf stuff, just for kicks I started with 30 figuring I would see how fast they all starve to death, so far no luck.

It's still only Late Summer before the first caravan though, and I apparently received a Vamp with the 1st migrant wave. How no one witnessed him draining one of my Miners in the rather small Meeting Hall/Dorm/Basically only room below ground where everyone stands, is beyond me, but I guess I'll try to find them and set up a goblin feeding tube.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 10:30:28 am »

started up a 3c fort. I like the new tileset, takes some getting used to though. don't think this fort will last long though, has a major river running through it, it's already slowed to a crawl and the first caravan hasn't come yet. Only got 6 dwarves total out of the first two migrant waves so I'm dreading how slow it'll be after a 20 odd wave.

update: got tired of crawling along at 5fps or less and started another fort, no gigantic river this time and doing much better fps wise.  Just got my first gnome caravan  :o here's hoping they survive the undead over on the evil side of the embark and that the unicorns on the good side don't decide to come down and play (though they're welcome to wander into one of the cage traps if they want)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:53:43 am by ElenaRoan »
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 113