Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185936 times)

chesse20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1500 on: June 03, 2016, 10:23:41 pm »

a imporperly finished wall and a terribly ran clinic and military led to the death of all but 20 of my succubi
to make up for how poorly the lives of the settlers went (15 out of the 100 starting succubus were still alive) i decided to retire and un-retire the fort 3 times to artifically inflate the population of the fort to 320

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: June 10, 2016, 10:01:26 am »

A new fortress just getting started.  14 dwarves after the migrant wave.  Wererabbit materialized right on top of the stairwell, 4th season.  Thought we were  prepared, a silver-weaponed decent axeman was standing right there but, werebunny took out 7.  Most were drafted and stationed in unused bedrooms behind forbidden doors, our best cook and a furnace worker were too busted up to move and so were simply walled in on the surface.  The room is oddly shaped as workers kept suspending construction because of dropped body parts.  Very Monty Python-esque, that bunny. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: June 11, 2016, 06:21:09 am »

Over 40 000 urists worth of meat rolls. You would think that an unskilled hunter and his badgerdog would have trouble taking down giant woolly rhinos. Sure, I have to send a dwarf with a spear to finish the job, but it's only a matter of stabbing an unconscious rhino in the head.

Since I have no trees on this embark, I have to rely on cloth to make beds (until elves bring some wood), and rhinos have quite a lot of wool. I'm about to start putting up cage traps to get myself a few of them for shearing, and maybe a couple of badass giant wolves.

This embark also has ridiculous amount of magnetite just over a layer of limestone, and you know exactly what that means.

All in all this is a nice change after all those boring tropical embarks I usually do.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: June 11, 2016, 09:35:08 am »

>< experienced fastest FPS death of a fortress ever cant even find the cause. didn't even reach autumn before droping to 15fps, was fine for spring and most of summer too >.> i blame the aquafier depth into the caverns  near the magma vent, also deepest aquafier i've ever seen.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: June 12, 2016, 10:24:58 pm »

I have finally decided to take up the new masterwork versions, mainly because I want to do a story fort and figure I can refamiliarize myself with the order of things for dorfs.

Hopefully the beakwolves and stranglers will survive and battle me early, so my militia will be able to cut its teeth on something somewhat easy before the orcs and such come.

EDIT: Hit hematite right out the gate. Awwwww yeah.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: June 13, 2016, 09:29:17 am »

*facepaws*

Tygroux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: June 13, 2016, 12:13:29 pm »

Playing an above ground wooden succubi Inn in a densely forested area.

The entire map is constantly on fire.
Huntresses are the main cause.

Ordered a guard to punch a giant spider fiend bard who couldn't stop breaking my masterwork wooden door.
Since stabbing the chittin wasn't working, she decided to try punching through it.

Now I have a giant flaming spider running around and the entire fort is burning again.
I'm not even mad, that's amazing.bmp
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:16:42 pm by Tygroux »

Dookmiester

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ferrets for their weasel war dances.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: June 13, 2016, 10:20:59 pm »

After orc fort decided to crash for the 100th time (exaggeration) I took a break and started up another hermit. No idea what the possible fallout will be from changing and enabling certain settings but I guess that is part of the fun!

World Info (The Blind Jungles? insert unamused Foul blendec)

The dwarves setting up for the grand entrance of our hermit!

Hermit Info (He likes things tranquil and "quiet")

Meeting The Locals (I have a huge love for cutebolds and was happy to find out they aren't hostile.)

*Edit/Update

After getting the 7 dwarfs properly buried I decided to have my hermit survey the kobold cave.

Turned out a massacre went down between some bolds and a cragtooth boar! The one survivor down there was hostile so I noped out of there and built on from the gravesite.

After some tunneling with 3 new migrant dwarves at my hermits side I noticed the food stocks getting low. Thankfully Darwin helped out by having a koala in the area fall out of a tree and die for us!

Grizzley bear come snoopin around, guess she smelled the fresh butchered meat.

*Edit/Last Update

The two friendly kobolds killed it and we ate good! Also stuffed it...

My attempt to set up a tavern bit me in the ass or well broke my hermits leg. (Really no way to set up a doctor, pfft?) He got stricken with melancholy after some time. He just decided to drag himself to the tavern and sip his troubles. The cat we bought from the vampires ran right to him in the hospital which I though was cute.

Guess I'll wash my hands of the hovel. We were swimmin in iron and producing steel but a sad cloud hangs over the place. :(

- Also what is the deal with werebeast visitors? (Guy who broke my hermits leg.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:47:04 pm by Dookmiester »

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: June 13, 2016, 10:58:20 pm »

use the cave.. help them remodel the inside =D

year 13 of Lifestream, caravans (humans elves dwarves) stopped comming years ago (reasons unknown) goblin ambushes actually happen reguarlly, the last one knocked my merc squad's teeth out, presumeably after he passed out slaughtering the entire siege and the mercs decided to come clean up the final 2 or 3

the surface is so overloaded with trees i had to cut a path for a road, i mean literately.. elf paradise here

the old fort built not far below the surface
is mostly abandoned now just the tavern food stocks (under the dining room) and well the diningroom is still there. along with my !!SCIENCE!! project of getting my damnedable otters to romance each other, locked in a cell with a stack of 800 sliced meat roast.. yum

heres the new fort built 2 zlevels above magma, theres a little farm above the right wing thats currently not being used atm due to the 2000+ shrooms and pig tails to be made. every fortmember has a masterwork violet padded embroidered bed, masterwork padded violet cabinets and bronze chests (i know lazy) the purple statue is a statue of the otter girl in her own room (hehe) the black one in the center is an artifact, the dining room tavern and food stocks have not been moved down yet. also all the bags in the fortress are violet quilted cloth, had lots of fun ditching the pig tail seed bags. next project is to remove all the stone / wood barrels.

havent been this proud of a dungeon since warlocks, my chef, farmers clothiers and smith have their very special rooms next to their workshops (they cant get bad thoughts cause only they can use the things lol =D

the entire workforce wears violet padded clothing, shoes mittens gloves hoods shirts trousers cloaks, i made an orc a clothier since i have quite a few to make it easier to clothe everyone he he, everyone is also a miner, with the exception of my frogmen woodcutters, so everyones wearing basic thick clothing and carrys a masterwork bronze weapon.

there is no iron on this map... (or any map ive played on in a year it feels) just enough flux to make steel, and if i have to make steel form the alchemist i might as well make it volcanic too.

3 dwarves at the top got cutoff, but they're new arrivals, waiting for the nixie and nymph to ask to be a citizen and only one death so far, an orc merc got her head bitten off by a weregiraffe, who's were-transformation ran out and turned into a frogwoman and got murdered in the face.

not counting the rediclious ammount of goblins that died in the tavern, dont pick fights with orcs.

also those orc babies that were born from tavern dancer girls eventually grew up, they are not apart of the fortress, just kinda wondering around probably wondering where their mother is (theres 7 orc kids that grew up,
they show as friendly not guest and just wander the map, anyone know if i can do anything with them?

FPS: Surface 20/150 , Old Fort 60/150, New fort 90/150, Blank screen 92/150 first cavern 30/150 (its more vertical than anything like 20zl straight down in some places) 2nd and third 90/150
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:12:26 pm by Fairin »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: June 15, 2016, 06:56:58 pm »

First caravan comes and with it a realization we have no booze left and have to hastily produce goods to sell, settling on hardened leather body armor and wooden tower shields which thanks to the passable skill of our craftsguild dwarf and carpenter, sell well enough to secure several barrels of booze and all the metal bars the traders had.

We now have a militia of four, equipped with an axe, greatsword and short sword, and a simple steel bludgeon, as well as hardened leather armor and steel helms for protection. Against the local fauna that should be sufficient until we dig up enough coal and iron to make full battle gear. Dolomite is quite plentiful here, thank the gods.

Was going to set the militia on some giant cockroaches but the damned things flew off. Forgot roaches have wings.

Also saw a tribe of elephantmen, which was a first courtesy of he who forged Armok.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: June 17, 2016, 08:59:02 pm »

Playing as succubus, which can only make parchment no paper, so getting a library up is a pain. Built a tavern with the specific purpose of killing the poets who arrive, in order to steal their books. Commit several massacres, no problems so far. During one of the slaughters, I suddenly get the announcement "The world has passed into the age of legends" and after checking corpses, it seems I killed a pooka from the mythical beasts mod, which tipped it over the edge.

I killed myths in the pursuit of knowledge. Not sure if I should feel happy or sad about this.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: June 17, 2016, 09:10:09 pm »

Happy of course.

-

Humans finally arrive to trade, and stranglers have been sighted snooping about. The militia commander decided rather than being slitpipes mcgee, she was going to use her sword as a baseball bat and smashed the intruder's head in with a pommel strike.

I do so hope sieges come soon! I'm eager to pit my squad of mercs on something.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: June 18, 2016, 10:28:35 am »

This was an embark I very nearly gave up on – after Smake’s multi-race community world, I’m trying the newest release w/o any DFHack cheating.  22 embark points to work with.

Standard (for me): Untamed Wilds, w/sand, a few metals, running water, Invaders ON at moderately high skill levels, a few bats and turkeys, very few skills then affordable.  I *thought* Prospect said it was going to be a steep hillside of soil for easy miner training; turns out to be a pile of rock with bits of soil here and there on the edges only.  Unskilled miners with rock = not much happens for a very long time.  Cutting logs, spiked wooden balls worth all of 254 each, wasn’t looking good.  Then the miners came across some gold in an exploratory shaft, the first metal.  End of summer, still not looking good and we’re foraging off the land to have food and booze when 3 migrants show up to our outpost:

A lvl 11 weaponsmith, a lvl 12 plant gatherer and a lvl 11 gem setter.  !! 

Immediate change of plans: switch to gold rings, amulets and bracelets, encrusted.  Our new gem setter, Jules, can take a 300 earring to 4 – 8K with the few hidden emeralds we’ve come across, each worth way more than the 18 or so spiked wooden balls we’d stockpiled for early Autumn.  The caravan just arrived is a rich one and we’re loading up and really getting greedy for next year with the Wish List.

The new plan: only 14 weeks before New Year’s and who knows what coming by to visit and we have one copper axe to defend ourselves.  We’re going to seal up with a raising bridge, butcher all the livestock outside for tallow, live in a dorm for a year and build ourselves a proper fortress w/o interference.  These 10 will do.  Gold = coins, means a Guildhall and speedier experience, going to try and force metalcrafting as an early mood.  Digging on the same level as the gold pocket revealed (finally) some flux and hematite so, yeah, we’ll stay here for awhile.  Someday, we’ll rival MountainHome but in the meantime, these dwarves are giddy with the prospect of dripping jewels on gold and steel ornaments.  Greedy Little Bastards, Take Two.  Each dwarf can stack 11 earrings on each ear, right?   

Edit:
And I thought this was going to the The Perfect Embark.  Wrote up a good backstory, PM’d a couple of folks with ‘This is great!  Let’s have a new release ☼Masterwork☼ community fortress.  Yeah!’  Then, Surprises:

#1) zombies.  Necro OFF in the GUI, monster parts keep reanimating and messing with the dogs anyhow.
??
OK, hammer ‘em to a pulp and continue on, you know how dogs are.  And

#2) living rock.  Turned OFF Earth Strikes Back before embark or thought I did, after having read the many thread comments on game crashes and such.  Red x’s on two of the three, didn’t notice Secrets still ON.  Should have noticed the pet rocks available at embark, didn’t.  Living Stone is a bit of a hassle, followed the GUI link for the first time to read Dirst’s thread and – sheesh.  Unhappy rocks are only to start and the least of it.  And for rocks, they’re fast little buggers, aren’t they?  This is worse than Digging Invaders, it's Already Dug Invaders.  How do people deal with this??  Warren every rock shaft and room for a particular, charmed miner?  Limestone Fred and Granite Gus?  Or dedicate a militia to stand there for every single time a stone tile is removed??  Why isn’t there a DFHack command line to salvage this?!

So much for my Perfect Embark.  Still, playing dwarves as Greedy Little Bastards, lots to be said for a skilled gemsetter migrant wave.   :)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:55:40 am by jimboo »
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: June 18, 2016, 02:28:15 pm »

I just finished 3 hours of streaming my succubus fort, the Pretas gave me salt poisoning.

But hey, I got an artifact crown with a picture of a melting cheese man.

Playing as succubus, which can only make parchment no paper, so getting a library up is a pain. Built a tavern with the specific purpose of killing the poets who arrive, in order to steal their books. Commit several massacres, no problems so far. During one of the slaughters, I suddenly get the announcement "The world has passed into the age of legends" and after checking corpses, it seems I killed a pooka from the mythical beasts mod, which tipped it over the edge.

I killed myths in the pursuit of knowledge. Not sure if I should feel happy or sad about this.

In the latest version of MDF, you are now able to make tablets and slips at the craftsuccubus shop. The former is somewhere in the bone and wooden categories, the later is at the top level of the building labors, before or after the regular jobs.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:51:46 pm by Boltgun »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: June 19, 2016, 10:32:58 pm »

... Our new gem setter, Jules, can take a 300 earring to 4 – 8K with the few hidden emeralds we’ve come across, each worth way more than the 18 or so spiked wooden balls we’d stockpiled for early Autumn.  ...   

Ouch, you know those hidden gems are potentially renewable, right? Like, you can grow them in farms by the vine-full. That's another part of the Earth Strikes Back mod, you can sacrifice a few of those hidden gems for a chance at getting the gem's seed. Doesn't always work, but the one time it does has you set for life; like speculative investing.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 113