Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185907 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1515 on: June 20, 2016, 01:34:44 pm »

Just broke in the 43.03 version, it's a pretty weird world that generated, on the eastern-most continent there's a mass- for lack of a better word- of roads, hamlets, pits, and fortresses sprawling all over it. The orcs, dwarves, and nagas there apparently decided to recreate a modern American highway system. I settled just east of the mountainhome there, and found a delightful surprise, my dwarves have domesticated elephants and hauled the wagon over to the embark with two elephant cows. Today is a good day.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: June 20, 2016, 05:27:55 pm »

Reclaimed a AI generated dwarven ruin as Kobolds. Turned on pickaxes in case I have trouble finding wood, which I am but have yet to dig anything. Had a small military consisting of three Kobolds in leather armor with glass daggers and wooden bucklers, except for their leader the Huntmaster, who has an iron dagger left by the dwarves. all was well until we found the forgotten beast that made it a ruin. It was a giant moose with a venomous bite, which kicked 4 kobolds in the head, instantly killing them, including the Huntmaster and one Hunter. the one Hunter who had no training got a lucking shot and stabbed it in the brain, claiming the iron dagger caught in it's back on it's own. Currently building industries, Dumping out entire dwarven neighborhoods worth of cloths because they are too big, and dealing with something called Scuttling Zombies, which are tentacle monsters which wore the bones of two of the four who died by the moose. A question though, is it impossible for trees to grow in an AI made fort? it's been two years, and there are sapling everywhere but none are growing. I am down to a single log from my embark stash of 30, and I am on the edge of breaking out the emergency pick to get to those cavern trees.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: June 20, 2016, 06:11:52 pm »

Ouch, you know those hidden gems are potentially renewable, right? Like, you can grow them in farms by the vine-full. That's another part of the Earth Strikes Back mod, you can sacrifice a few of those hidden gems for a chance at getting the gem's seed. Doesn't always work, but the one time it does has you set for life; like speculative investing.

I had no idea at the time, came as complete surprise.   :)  All I knew then of the Strike! mod was that early thread comments blamed it for crashes.  Seems all the mods become more stable over time.  “Gem farming” is an intriguing idea for people who play as I do but now that the Dwarven caravan has taken over the wholesale distribution network previously administered by the gnomes, does it really help much?  I’m trying in my current embark just to see but asking dwarves for cut gems on high priority brings wagonloads next visit.  “Vine full,” “Set for life”?  From the Read.me, aren’t gem vines are a low percentage yield of hidden gems w/ a special alcohol?  In the meantime, my militias are waiting for their chance to test themselves against a wyrm.   :) :)     
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: June 20, 2016, 06:50:51 pm »

Miners usually deal with Awakened Stones by bringing a pick :)

You will need a Tribute workshop to attempt extracting a gem seed, but wait until to you have three or so rough hidden gems first.

Edit: typo.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:59:54 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: June 20, 2016, 07:19:09 pm »

Ouch, you know those hidden gems are potentially renewable, right? Like, you can grow them in farms by the vine-full. That's another part of the Earth Strikes Back mod, you can sacrifice a few of those hidden gems for a chance at getting the gem's seed. Doesn't always work, but the one time it does has you set for life; like speculative investing.

I had no idea at the time, came as complete surprise.   :)  All I knew then of the Strike! mod was that early thread comments blamed it for crashes.  Seems all the mods become more stable over time.  “Gem farming” is an intriguing idea for people who play as I do but now that the Dwarven caravan has taken over the wholesale distribution network previously administered by the gnomes, does it really help much?  I’m trying in my current embark just to see but asking dwarves for cut gems on high priority brings wagonloads next visit.  “Vine full,” “Set for life”?  From the Read.me, aren’t gem vines are a low percentage yield of hidden gems w/ a special alcohol?  In the meantime, my militias are waiting for their chance to test themselves against a wyrm.   :) :)     

I got a fairly successful onyx "plantation" going a version or two ago, I was just brewing them en-masse for more seeds like I always do for wild plants. It took a while but I filled up a 10x10 farm plot and probably could have built an onyx palace or something with gem-blocks if Jotuns hadn't come to ruin my day.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:32:42 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: June 20, 2016, 07:39:05 pm »

Yeah, well, working my way through that  l o n g  thread but the READ.ME w/ the d/l still comes across as low yield.  But if there’s a chance for enough emerald blocks for a truly epic Stupid Dwarf Project, I’m game --
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: June 20, 2016, 08:31:42 pm »

Reclaimed a AI generated dwarven ruin as Kobolds. Turned on pickaxes in case I have trouble finding wood, which I am but have yet to dig anything. Had a small military consisting of three Kobolds in leather armor with glass daggers and wooden bucklers, except for their leader the Huntmaster, who has an iron dagger left by the dwarves. all was well until we found the forgotten beast that made it a ruin. It was a giant moose with a venomous bite, which kicked 4 kobolds in the head, instantly killing them, including the Huntmaster and one Hunter. the one Hunter who had no training got a lucking shot and stabbed it in the brain, claiming the iron dagger caught in it's back on it's own. Currently building industries, Dumping out entire dwarven neighborhoods worth of cloths because they are too big, and dealing with something called Scuttling Zombies, which are tentacle monsters which wore the bones of two of the four who died by the moose. A question though, is it impossible for trees to grow in an AI made fort? it's been two years, and there are sapling everywhere but none are growing. I am down to a single log from my embark stash of 30, and I am on the edge of breaking out the emergency pick to get to those cavern trees.
Scuttling zombie corpses create an odd occurrence where my kobolds keep putting the corpses back into the coffins, then they realize they are a creature corpse so they drag them to the refuse stockpile, just to be returned to the coffin again. I currently have 3 'bolds stuck in a loop, so I destroyed the coffins and I am waiting for enough coke from the booze burner to build an atom smasher to remove the corpses permanently, so I can erect slabs. I cannot figure who is part of the deep one cult, so I might as well destroy their toys. I also got my hands on a necromancer book, stolen from the first ever necromancer when he decided to petition as a bard. I murdered him and took it, to build a dark monastery later.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: June 20, 2016, 10:16:22 pm »

#2) living rock.  Turned OFF Earth Strikes Back before embark or thought I did, after having read the many thread comments on game crashes and such.  Red x’s on two of the three, didn’t notice Secrets still ON.  Should have noticed the pet rocks available at embark, didn’t.  Living Stone is a bit of a hassle, followed the GUI link for the first time to read Dirst’s thread and – sheesh.  Unhappy rocks are only to start and the least of it.  And for rocks, they’re fast little buggers, aren’t they?  This is worse than Digging Invaders, it's Already Dug Invaders.  How do people deal with this??  Warren every rock shaft and room for a particular, charmed miner?  Limestone Fred and Granite Gus?  Or dedicate a militia to stand there for every single time a stone tile is removed??  Why isn’t there a DFHack command line to salvage this?!
The fact that you saw Hidden Emerald means the mod is active and there is a bug in the Masterwork GUI that you should report to Meph.  There is a command you can type into the DFHack console to turn off the changes to mining in a running game if you really want to.

If you're running the 42.06 version (which has v2.08 of The Earth Strikes Back!): tesb-job-monitor -living 0 -gem 0
If you're running the 43.03 version (which has v2.03 of The Earth Strikes Back!): tesb-mining -living 0 -gem 0
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: June 21, 2016, 12:19:13 am »

Found an interesting reaction as the Kobolds regarding the Breeding Warren. Because there is no specific job to use it, any female member of the fort can use it, including bards, poets, scholars, and mercenaries who might use it while they idle about in the pub. My Kobold camp is now 2/3rd Kobolds and Kobold children, while the remaining 1/3rd are Elf bards and their kids. Those numbers are not impressive because repeated attacks by Cave Fishmen has reduced my population to 15 or so citizens, but it is an interesting reaction. I assume the kids will grow up to be full citizens, but I think Elves probably take more than a year to grow up. This can make it possible to have inter-species forts, though my only visitors so far are Elves and Ferric Elves.
TAIL SHOOOOES!

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: June 21, 2016, 05:43:34 am »

There is a command you can type into the DFHack console to turn off the changes to mining in a running game if you really want to.

Well, alrighty then, thanks.  Having the option means it’s my choice to slog on through the surprises.   :)  It is an interesting mod, parts are certainly fun and if there’s a chance for a true Emerald City, I’m going for it.  “A miner with a pick” might be most player’s experience, I seem to be losing key dwarves hauling rock sometime afterwards while clearing the bedroom areas … Oh, and I double-checked: the easy-to-use GUI means it’s also an easy-to-miss-something GUI and yeah, all three have to be red x’d at the start so, not really a bug.

Every now and again, my dorfs leave a nice color gem in place, digging around it, later smoothing and leaving it as a pillar in the middle of wherever for ‘someday’ when the legendary Engraver is ready.  Wouldn’t it be great if that was the basis for some gem-obsessed religious cult?  Couldn’t be any sillier than the fanatic fish-worshipers now or RL snake handlers and crystal pyramid people.  If that idea was fleshed out more, I’d post it to Strike!’s own thread.   

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: June 21, 2016, 09:02:03 am »

npc kids will grow up as " friendly" not even visiting guests. even if the parents join as citizens, check out my post on the previous page... >:)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:05:54 am by Fairin »

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: June 21, 2016, 12:00:51 pm »

npc kids will grow up as " friendly" not even visiting guests. even if the parents join as citizens, check out my post on the previous page... >:)
Damn, does that mean my idea to have a elf military to protect my citizens is a failure? Also unless the breeding warren reaction changes anything, pretty sure my plan would have taken 12 years to reach fruition. Oh well, my hunter found an Oricalcum dagger and has gotten to the skill to kill Blind Cave Ogres and Reachers. I think I will start a new fort once she gets to the level to knife fight the Elder Gods that patrol the caverns.
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: June 21, 2016, 01:38:38 pm »

1v1 elder god vs legendary otter warrior (short sword 40k size) will win if he doesnt collapse from exhaustion which happened once out of 5 kills, summary, send a pair you know father and son. bonus points for the right names.

elder gods are brutal with 8 arms 2 (or 4 tentacles?) so much to hit through

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: June 22, 2016, 11:55:19 am »

Due to Cavefish men who have been killing gatherers, along with other events, the population of my camp was reduced to 5, not including 3 bards. I decided there was no recovery and the Kobold who I had burrowed in a solitary training facility had become bad ass enough to take the fight to the fishmen. One of the fishmen became a cult leader, and I took that as a sign I must move now. I created a suit of leather armor for everyone and a glass dagger for anyone who cannot find a decent one among the salvage. Shields were provided to kobolds with military experience because they were in low supply, other kobolds were given bucklers. As my band of survivors prepared for this final battle, an Elder God roamed onto the map, spreading madness. The kobolds jumped from behind my barricades to fight the larger fishmen threat, and as they charged the dozens of dead kobolds surrounding the camp rose to fight their family. Sonja, the kobold who spent years training for this could only think of vengeance. http://i.imgur.com/NRaMb5w.png As she cut through the hordes of dead kobolds, she stabbed the cult leader through their head, and beating another fishmen with the arm of one of the dead kobolds. Surviving with only minor wounds, the kobolds turned to their new prey, the Elder God. The Elder God grabbed the shield from one of the kobolds and impaled him with it, leaving his organs an unrecognizable mass, and then raising the fishmen as zombies. The fight raged as all the kobolds only did minor damage to the beast, just to be smashed to the ground and turned to paste, when both Sonja and Sergei(the chieftain) chased to to a cliff. Sergei had his dagger hand ripped off, and was knocked unconcious, while Sonja fought the beast to the death. She cut off 4 arms and stabbed it in the face, leaving the beast in critical condition, in which it jumped into a lake and swam away, leaving the two remaining kobolds to pick up the pieces. When the children finally grow up, I will have a glass statue of Sonja, Slayer of two forgotten beasts, 2 dozen zombies, a tribe of fishmen, and defiler of Elder Gods.

Edit: She didn't kill the Elder God, but she cut off a ton of arms, and stab it in the brain, leaving it in critical condition. She didn't get the kill because the beast is a massive coward and jumped into a lake and swam away. She also didn't get hurt fighting it unlike the 3 who got beat into paste with a wooden shield.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:00:07 pm by dirkdragonslayer »
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: June 22, 2016, 02:55:09 pm »

yeah my first elder god pansyed out on me like that, kinda irritating he'd take to water to swim away from an otter (in mithril armor)... damn pathing good read .. sounds like she needs a few statues. each one striking down a different historical figure >:)
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 113